May 1st where will you be? Dish, Cable or DirecTV?

Well my comcast install went okay today. Some info on DVRHD units, may apply to other area's as well.

A) Right now in Denver they are using the 6200 units not the 6412. I was told that due to the hinky bugs the 6412 had, green flashies and some issues if have unit on 2 hd channels, the units were pulled and at least around here they wont use em. They are expecting a newer model soon tho and when avail can swap for it NP/NC. As I read on AVS hdtv forum that the newer model being worked on uses a diff chip to handle SD/sd analog better I'm content to just wait a month or so to see if it comes out.

B) according to my Tech when I asked on Comcast denvers plan to go all digital vs having some in analog and Digital etc he told me they were told that the goal is to completely convert to digital and eliminate Analog all together this month here in Denver. Again take with grain of salt but his comment did sort of jive with what I was told when I was calling about doing research trying to decide where to go now that we are losing Voom :river

bratboy said:
Well my comcast install went okay today. Some info on DVRHD units, may apply to other area's as well.

How is the Comcast HD PQ? I've heard it's equal to Voom or not noticeably worse.

So far the HD stuff looks good. Still have V running on a component connection and Comcast using DVI. Was flipping back n forth tween Scooby on each input and couldnt notice any diff with HBOHD. SD isnt bad but am hoping the info my tech told me today, that comcasts goal here this month is to switch to ALL digital (no more analog) by the end of April, is correct. Whether it will happen who knows but at least there is hope.

Voom was it for HD content. No one could match it for quantity or quality of HD for the price. I will not go back to a paid television provider until some one is able to match one half of what Voom provided for the price thay provided it at. Back to free hdtv (OTA) for me.

Back to free hdtv (OTA) for me.
That works IF you get decent reception. Here in Denver I could never get ABC and a few others were very sporadic. I blame it in part on the crappy job installs direct did as well as poor placement of the locals transmiters. If recall correctly ABC here in Denver right now has its on like the 5th floor of their parking lot. Anyway at least now with comcast their getting all the locals in hd over the cable so thats actually a plus compared to Voom since now I can DVR Alias/lost/Smallvillle etc in HD. Tween that, getting at least 1 movie channel from each of the Majors, HBO showtime Stars and Cinamax in HD, I hope to be able to survive till the Sat companies offer better programing. Also learned something I didnt know. Apparently HBO has a channel called HBO Beyond thats scifi themed, its not in HD yet but still a nice discovery for me at least. Its on Comcast but was never offered on DTV to best of my knowlege.

dnyce said:
My God! That is the best HD lineup I've ever seen aside from Voom ofcourse. All your missing is TNT.
Comcast in South Florida we just have the Pay Movie channels, locals, Inhd1, Inhd2, ESPN, and Discovery. I'd love to have the HDNet's, ESPN2 and NFL HD.
That is a great alternative.

Yeah, I am really happy with that line up. My friend in my down the street who has voom is going with Adelphia as well.

Wayne

My install is tomorrow for Adelphia. I will report back on PQ quality/HD DVR features for anyone in my area.

Wayne

I just got off of the phone with some guy in Marketing at Comcast in South Florida he said because of legality issue he couldn't promise specific dates but he said he is a Heat fan and he is looking forward to enjoying HD playoff games on TNT from Comcast. In other words by the end of this month. He also said WB HD within 30-90 days. ESPN2, Universal, and UPN he had nothing. And most importantly the Digital simulcast in my area won't be for about another year :(
But I'll be happy with TNT HD considering I'll only be with Cable until Football season starts then I'll dump some money at DirecTV just so I can watch Eli play catch with Plaxico and Shockey :D

for me to go to comcast for a good deal they want my stb. but voom wants it back or they will bill me for 499. unless i cancel my check card and get a new one. :dev are comcast reps asking for the same thing.

Resisting the urge to leap from my 11th floor balcony to the shallow end of the pool below. Man! the realization that Voom is really going to be gone is sinking in! This REALLY sucks big time. :(

Well I am going to wait and see what shakes out. I have been looking at a Canadian option which would give me all the networks in HD which I don't know get OTA locally except for PBS. I am in no hurry to jump just as yet.

Indy said:
Resisting the urge to leap from my 11th floor balcony to the shallow end of the pool below. Man! the realization that Voom is really going to be gone is sinking in! This REALLY sucks big time. :(
Indy...I'm with you...I wasn't panicking at first or being unduly depressed, and am still trying not to...but the more I watch as time grows short, the more depressed I am becoming. I just can't accept that this could end in a little over two more weeks...WHY!!!???? WHY!!!??? WHY!!!???)...
Christo_pull_hair.gif

It only needed another couple of months....(sobbing uncontrolledly...)
large-smiley-058.gif
large-smiley-058.gif

Gutter, I'm still with you, too, though. And I keep telling myself that maybe there are other options...but I don't think I could really be happy with any of them except one that started off with...And Now, for your viewing pleasure, Charles Dolan presents VoOM REINCARNATED in his original visionary version.... :D Vicki

Fortunately, for me, I decided to leave Voom a week before their announced shutdown. I was going to stick around for another month and that turns out to be all she wrote for everybody. I put up a Channel Master 4228 antenna to get my NBC station that the Voom installer said I would not get and so on May 1st I will have all of my ota stations and will not be paying anybody for my tv programming.
I will be using an LG 4200a receiver to get my hd, so I am not concerned with the whole "Voom receiver will get ota, Voom receiver won't get ota" dog chasing its tail routine. I will learn to do with less choice in my tv viewing and find other and better things to do in life. I cancelled VaVaVoom 2 weeks ago and do not miss it a bit.

Someone should mention Charlie before his next Charlie Chat that, according to this poll "Dish is the least desired service of all." 1=cable 2=DirecTV & 3=Dish.

Tvlman said:
Someone should mention Charlie before his next Charlie Chat that, according to this poll "Dish is the least desired service of all." 1=cable 2=DirecTV & 3=Dish.
Maybe the poll is chaging that much. I see Dish currently as second. Since I have Dish and Voom thats fine with me. I hope that the fact that Charlie mentioned the Voom 21 in the Charlie Chat, that there is some hope for some of these channels returning in the future on Dish.

I believe a direction to go is clearer for me. As I have stated, on May 1st I will be out of town for the shutdown without a way to view the death of Voom. Not being a witness to the actual event may temper the emotional drain. :(

Now to choices. I have Dish in idle mode waiting to fire up. I have never tried Direct TV nor have I tried digital cable. All are available to me.

The way I am going to make the decision is wherever Voom 21 or my favorite channels on Voom may migrate to I will follow. I am going to do without until Rave and a few others are alive after May 1st with another provider. If it doesn't happen then I will do without and rent more DVD's and watch HD OTA.

That's my decision and I will stand by it. :)

Just went back to Dish myself. :(

The amount of HD is truly depressing! I have to say the quality of the HD is quite good. I was watching HDnet last night and was impressed. The SD however appears a lot softer than Voom on most channels, some of the premiums look pretty good though.

E*

Just Got E* Install Today In South Florida, Very Profesional
One 811 Hd And One 522 Sd Dvr For 2 Rooms , Hd Picture Looks Just Like Voom :)
If You Need Recomendations E-mail To Sendy58@aol.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts