Directv doesn't want a HR-24-100 receiver back?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I called Directv with an issue on one of my HR-24 receivers where the fan was running all the time. They agreed to replace it with another HR-24 but they don't want the receiver back. I've talked to 3 different people and they say I can keep it or dispose. They did ask for the card and I already mailed it back to them.

Why don't they want the HR-24-100 back?

I find this hard to believe. But I wouldn't disposes of the HR24 until a year has past. By then their yearly inventory report should be finish. I would call up and check on the status of the box RID.

An HR24 is definitely not obsolete, but I have seen a few reports lately of Directv not wanting HR24s back.

I'm with Drucifer. I would hang on to it for some time until you know for sure they don't want it back. If it is bad, there is no reason to keep it and you can't sell it. So, maybe they want you to take it to an electronics recycling location. This is a real shift since they asked me to send mine back (2 of them) just 8 and 9 months ago. With everyone wanting the new genies and the wireless receivers, it may just be that things have moved away from older technology very fast. And with the AT&T buyout maybe they don't want any excess inventory.

Thanks for sharing. You may be on the leading edge of a new policy.

Throw it on the shelf if they keep fighting you. Then you have it someplace that you know where it is, if they do decide to tell you to ship back.

Of course if you have the other box, that the other receiver came in. I guess you could package the old one in there and send it back as an Return to Sender.

It could have to do with age of that particular receiver versus just the model. Accounting wise they keep leased receivers on the books and depreciate them over time as an asset/inventory. Perhaps after a period of time it is obsolete more on age than on model.

HR24 has been out for a while now, some of the first units could be "off the books" so to speak.

Either way I'd definitely hold on to it, in case you ever want to reactivate (only your account can, nobody else) or they do want it back and just mis-informed you (heard of this happening too many times as well).

Reactions: Broe67
About to switch back to Dish. I have two HR24's and one H24.
Both HR24 are 500 model.
Wondering will Direct want my boxes back or just keep.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I ask because RandallA and I joined Direct within one or two weeks of each other in 2010, around the same time both HR24 and H24 came out.

We don't take HR24 back for ERP. We only collect them for swaps or disconnects.

I assume ERP stands for electronic recycyling program, or something like that. That means that Directv isn't repairing HR24s?

I assume ERP stands for electronic recycyling program, or something like that. That means that Directv isn't repairing HR24s?
Not sure on the acronym but for the past few months when I order a replacement for defective hr24 my system says there's no need to recover. It's not on the list for recoverable receivers.

I had a defective HR24 and been replaced with another HR24, and they send me a return box for it, and this was 5 months ago
Unless it's only for deactivating.

Thanks for all the replies. My plan was to keep it for a year just in case they change their mind. :) I found it hard to believe that they would not want the HR24 but from the posts, apparently some of them are obsolete or are "off the books".

Hey Tigerfan33, good luck with your switch. :)

My HR23 died last week, 5 years to the week in which I got it, and they don't want it back. Was a little disappointed I got another HR23 and not a 24 as a replacement.

I bet the whole focus on Genie killed demand for regular HDDVRs. DTV should have done something like re-marketing these units as Genie-Lites or something similar to keep up demand.

Reactions: Broe67
I've been meaning to chime in on this for while. I had a case management service call where the receiver was bad. When I called them the case management person said that there is only 1 HR24 on the recovery list now and they also said they're not sure why but they've been dropping off for awhile but yet they haven't made the scrap list.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)