DirecTV: get new customers to pay old customer's unpaid bills.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I say bull on you YES they do. I bought a condo and the Address was BLACKlisted. It happened to me after I paid $1,000 for receivers.

No they don't but if you want to believe that go right ahead. I am not stupid enough to argue about this.

Well again , Never have I had to pay a Dime for any past utilities from any past Tennant's. So I guess address aren't black flagged. They have owed me up to 6 past months of rent, and I've taken D* receivers and Cable boxes left by past Tennant's. So you can't sit there and tell me they were paid up to date.

Again, Rare occurrences are possible, but very rare!

Not as wide spread as some are trying to make it out to be.

Hello Everyone, I have no direct knowledge of Indiana or Illinois but in the state of New Jersey the owner of the property IS definitely responsible for utilities if a tenant defaults. I do not believe this covers Directv as it is not considered a utility.
Just my 2 cents

Hello Everyone, I have no direct knowledge of Indiana or Illinois but in the state of New Jersey the owner of the property IS definitely responsible for utilities if a tenant defaults. I do not believe this covers Directv as it is not considered a utility.
Just my 2 cents
Really, Funny , Because One of my rental property just happends to be in Newton NJ! Funny!!

Let me see you back that up with proof!. Because that house in Newton NJ I bought from a Tax sale.

I paid $56,000 for the house that paid off the tax debt owed and the mortgage that was left owed..

These people were $15,000 away from owning this house from the bank. So your going to tell me they were that dumb to pay all their utilities up to date and not do everything in their power to save their house.

No they were flat out Broke. They owed Everyone!

Had the Electric put in my name along with the Water, Sewer, Garbage , While in renovations, And not one past due bill came up.

So your saying , If I don't pay any of my Utilities for about 6 months, Move out, The next Guy who buys it or moves in Has to pay it??

Great, I get off free and clear then Right ??:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Its my job to find the previous owner and make sure he paid his utilities on time and up to date???

You guys really better get out into the real world and learn a thing or two.

Just my 2 cents

Really, Funny , Because One of my rental property just happends to be in Newton NJ! Funny!!

Let me see you back that up with proof!. Because that house in Newton NJ I bought from a Tax sale.

I paid $56,000 for the house that paid off the tax debt owed and the mortgage that was left owed..

These people were $15,000 away from owning this house from the bank. So your going to tell me they were that dumb to pay all their utilities up to date and not do everything in their power to save their house.

No they were flat out Broke. They owed Everyone!

Had the Electric put in my name along with the Water, Sewer, Garbage , While in renovations, And not one past due bill came up.

Your reply, has nothing to do with what he said. Tell me where in your story did the word tenant show up? You purchased property from a tax sale and therefore became the "property owner" The past "owners" had a default in utilities. This situation obviously does not fall into the "tenant defaults, owner must pay" category

My guess (cause I do not live in dirty jersey) is that rental properties must have the utilities in the owners name?

What if?

What would happen if I used the movers connection and moved into a place that had an outstanding D* balance?

The guys is right. Directv does flag the address and charges the current owner to pay any unpaid balances from previous customer.
Prove it!

So again. Ok I rent a House for 1 year.
I get Electric ,Phone,and Directv or Dish Network service.

I don't pay any of my bill for the last 3 months I'm there and I move out.

Where do the past do Bills go?

They Stay at the address for the next Tennant?

NO F'en way!. They follow me to my next mailing address.

Think about what you guys are saying!

Last edited:
Prove it!

So again. Ok I rent a House for 1 year.
I get Electric ,Phone,and Directv or Dish Network service.

I don't pay any of my bill for the last 3 months I'm there and I move out.

Where do the past do Bills go?

They Stay at the address for the next Tennant?

NO F'en way!. They follow me to my next mailing address.

Think about what you guys are saying!

Hemi, I think the "special people" feel the need to keep this rumor alive and keep you going considering me and you are not at each others throats for there enjoyment.

This is like arguing about someone taking a doo doo in a clear jar with the lid on to see if the crap stinks or not inside.

Like I care what someone people on the net say! I know what happened at my address in California years ago and why would I of all people want to fraud directv out of a $82 dollars a month when at the time I was paying the bill they turned it off saying I should of never ever had service there because the address had a balance? Now I have had dish for 9 years with NOT 1 ISSUE or even a late payment.

why am I a liar when I am saying all this and yet the internet rambo wants to say I am defrauding a company, that Directv does not black address when they did it to me? I am not hurting for money at all.

It sounds to me like it has happened to some poor customers (who would otherwise be great new subs) for whatever reason but I know from personal experience it's not the norm. I've had so many tenant changes over the years (with unpaid DTV/Dish/Comcast/Gas/Water/Electric/ETC... bills) where the new tenant had no problem getting service. Either you guys fell into DTV's black hole of delinquent accounts by association or didn't take the matter up the food chain to someone who could fix it (Like Stone). Either way, you shouldn't have to jump through any loops with a solid credit report & a completely different name & SS#.

Edit: Still would like to see one of you give your information to Stone, if he's willing, to see what exactly set off the DTV alarms.

It sounds to me like it has happened to some poor customers (who would otherwise be great new subs) for whatever reason but I know from personal experience it's not the norm. I've had so many tenant changes over the years (with unpaid DTV/Dish/Comcast/Gas/Water/Electric/ETC... bills) where the new tenant had no problem getting service. Either you guys fell into DTV's black hole of delinquent accounts by association or didn't take the matter up the food chain to someone who could fix it (Like Stone). Either way, you shouldn't have to jump through any loops with a solid credit report & a completely different name & SS#.

Edit: Still would like to see one of you give your information to Stone, if he's willing, to see what exactly set off the DTV alarms.

No one willing to to that . Why because it will be like the women I dealt with today.

She moved she changed her name ( married ) she tried setting up an account flagged her SSN , a human being investigatd found a marriage cert with her old name that made the past due account . So we had her on Name, Address (her previous )and SSN . But wiat it does not end there .... Her husband then tries to get it in his name now that there married his name is tied to the address she just tried getting service the last names match and again we have a multi point hit.

This is like arguing about someone taking a doo doo in a clear jar with the lid on to see if the crap stinks or not inside.

Again, explain how this happened?

You moved into a house, and you had to pay all the past utilities?

Or Just Directv?

You and the past owner/Tennant have identical last names and SS#?

Wow, you better watch out, you don't get Hit with his Car payments .

They got mailed there too, and he parked it at the house too.:p:p:p:rolleyes:

Again, explain how this happened?

You moved into a house, and you had to pay all the past utilities?

Or Just Directv?

You and the past owner/Tennant have identical last names and SS#?

Wow, you better watch out, you don't get Hit with his Car payments .

They got mailed there too, and he parked it at the house too.:p:p:p:rolleyes:

LOL I am only talking about the directv bill. Not Utilities I totally agree on that. PHONE nope, GAS nope, ELECTRIC nope, NEVER will you have to pay that if a previous person on that address made the bills and never paid. I never encountered where you have to pay someone else past due utilities.

But for some reason Directv shut the service off after 3 months saying we should have not turned on the TV to you because of the previous owners or tenants not paying there bill. On a note thou I got the house with in 35 days of previous owners being foreclosed on, and I bought the condo from a bank sale or repo sale and I moved in fast because I wanted to start fixing up the places it was my first place I ever bought back in 2000 I was 25. Last names where different and so was SS#

Hi! I visit these forums often but I've never posted anything. I have a similar problem as the OP except the delinquent account belongs to my alcoholic father-in-law and I'm desperate for any help I can get right now. I know that there are some people here who are very helpful and kind with advice and information. Please forgive me, this is going to get wordy but I don't know if I can explain the whole thing properly in just a couple paragraphs. And, PLEASE no remarks about how "something sounds fishy" or "pay your bills". We're not trying to scam anyone or get out of paying D* any money we owe. WE don't ow them anything. We are just a family trying to save almost $100 a month by getting a Verizon triple play bundle!

So here goes...My husband and I bought this house almost 8 years ago. It's a 2 family dwelling with upper and lower apartments. At our insistence my in-laws moved in to the lower apt because my mother-in-law was ill and needed to live in a 1 floor home. We lived in the upper apt. At some point in late 2007 or early 2008 my husband and I had D* installed in our upper apt. (in my name because he wasn't home when I ordered and didn't have his SS# handy). Around May or June of 2009 we got a great offer on a bundle package from Time Warner that we just couldn't pass up. We cancelled D*, paid our ETF and shipped back our receivers. In July we even got a final invoice showing a credit balance. So we're good with DirecTV.

Back to my in-laws. My mother-in-law died in Aug. 2008. About 2 weeks later my father-in-law has DirecTV installed in the lower apartment. Approximately 1 month after it's installed, he tells us he's moving into the house next door with his "lady friend". Way to mourn your wife of 42 years! Sorry, still bitter! I guess I should mention that my husband doesn't really have much of a relationship with his father so we really didn't care one way or the other if he moved. We had nothing whatsoever to do with his move other than to get the key back and clean the apartment after he left. He moved in next door, we transferred the gas and electric for the lower apartment into my name (trying to avoid confusion with the upstairs) and life went on. We assumed that he had taken care of his DirecTV account, either by cancelling or working out some payments. Like I said, not much love lost between father and son there so my husband never questioned his father when he said "I took care of it". We never got a bill to this address for him from D*, only bills and correspondence to us because this time frame coincides with when we had active service with D*.

Fast forward to 2010. Our promo price with cable has expired and the Verizon Triple Play with DirecTV will save us almost $100 a month. We sign up, have an installation date of Dec. 28. The installers come, run the cables, mount the dish and connect the receivers. By the way, very nice guys, knowledgable, polite and respectful. Anyway, now it's time to activate the account. Can you see where this is going? No activation because my father-in-law NEVER PAID HIS BILL! There's a $358 outstanding balance at this address so they won't activate. The CSRs (we talked to a total of 4) tell us it doesn't matter that it's going under a different SS# than my husband's, they don't go by SS# they go by address (then why ask for the social when you sign up? No answer to that one) I said is that even legal? and one of them actually told me that DirecTV is a privately owned company and they can deny service to anyone they want! And then went on to tell me she didn't believe that my father-in-law moved out when I said he did because he still had an active account at this address. Because that never happens right? Yeesh! Then she said well, he continued to pay so someone must have been there. I tried to explain to her that we had no relationship with my father-in-law and we have no idea what he was doing and that we had our own account during the months that she said he had it. Meaning that there were actually 2 active accounts at one address both with the same last name. Did she think we all lived in the same house and had 2 accounts? Needless to say none of this mattered to her. She was firm. WE have the same name and it's the same address and you can either pay the bill or you can't activate service.

After a lot of back and forth and me getting a lot of insulting insinuations from some girl with an accent that was actually crunching on chips or something in my ear, I was finally told I could write to the corporate office, Attn billing disputes. But, she said, there is really no dispute. We won't activate your service if your family member has an outstanding bill.

So, I have written a letter to D*'s corporate offices, to billing disputes, and I included everything I could find to show that my father-in-law didn't live here when he had that active account and that we had our own account with them in good standing. I just hope that someone there has the common sense to look at our prior account and realize that we were good customers and that this man who won't pay the bill has nothing whatsoever to do with us. I even tracked down his new address and phone number (he moved AGAIN! probably skipped out on another bill!) and sent it to D*so they can pass it along to their collections department.

I can understand why D* is being so hard nosed about this, there are a lot of people out there, too many people, who do try to skip out and sign up in another name and they pull this crap all the time. It's horrible and of course D* needs to protect themselves against it; however, not everyone is trying to rip them off and every case isn't cut and dry.

So now I just wait "14 to 21 days for a response" and hope that someone will read this letter and realize that we're decent people just trying to get by who, through some cruel twist of fate, happen to be related to a man who wouldn't know responsibility if it came and bit him on the backside.

So if anyone has any thoughts that might help, please speak!! Unless you're going to respond with some ridiculous comment like "pay your bills" or something just as insightful, because frankly I'm too frustrated and tired to listen to that crap.

Yea real original.:)
Sorry, no way shape or form, do I believe that a previous customers debt hung around a previous address for a totally new person to pay off.

NO Way!!!:no

Cable,Electric,and Phone companys don't do it. So no way do I believe this in any way.

My tenents have never had any issues getting any services, from previous tenents debits.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stop BS'ing and lets hear the real story.;)
I know personally that phone companies do block addresses. Addresses with numerous fraud flags can get permanently banned until certain information is received, and cleared by an actual fraud person. It is rare, but there are fraud department employees that work with this kind of thing as a full-time job.

I only have this information on phone companies, and know nothing about Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts