DirecTV loses 1.2 million customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
What we do know is it probably isn't going to work as well as everyone thinks it should, at least at first.

Reactions: CycloneSat
The "mmwave" frequencies sold for 5G so far (28 Ghz and 24 Ghz) are the same frequencies used for Directv's Ka band and reverse band uplinks. If they were harmful, then anyone working at the broadcast centers should be dead by now :)

Yes but a transponders deep in space vs an antenna on a pole 300 ft away might make a difference
The "mmwave" frequencies sold for 5G so far (28 Ghz and 24 Ghz) are the same frequencies used for Directv's Ka band and reverse band uplinks. If they were harmful, then anyone working at the broadcast centers should be dead by now :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: navychop
They are not broadcasting towards the employees...they are broadcasting to space.. 5g is flooding your neighborhood with radiation at much closer distance

Reactions: navychop
Yes the antennas are pointing up at various angles into space, but satellite dishes have sidelobes that put some power down at the ground where employees walk around. The levels are below FCC and OSHA standards but way higher than anyone will ever encounter from a 5G tower. Unless that 5G tower is 6ft from your bedroom window and level with it.

Part of my job was testing uplink antennas and measuring RF levels at ground level for compliance. I did measure one new uplink antenna that was slightly over spec at ground level and that area was immediately chained off with extra signs to keep anyone out of the affected area, although I probably spent hours within that area doing various maintenance over the years. Not a big deal because RF exposure specs are based on whole body exposure measurements over a specified time. Only parts of my body were exposed at any given time and for less time than specified.

Even though there are signs everywhere at broadcast centers warning of RF radiation hazards around each antenna and the entire antenna farms at each uplink center, some employees will still linger around under the antennas smoking cigarettes or whatever. My opinion based on 40+ years in the RF/microwave/broadcast/two-way radio industry is 5G towers will be harmless to anyone.

They are not broadcasting towards the employees...they are broadcasting to space.. 5g is flooding your neighborhood with radiation at much closer distance

Reactions: 907TECH
There is a difference between ionizing and nonionizing radiation.

But people should be aware, there may be some risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a TON of signal spill from those big dishes, and they broadcast at orders of magnitude more power than cellular. You'd be exposed to a lot more RF standing outside the fence at an uplink than you would standing under a cell tower.

Directv did some studies when they first applied for their reverse band license almost ten years ago, since the downlink frequency reverse band uses is the same frequency that Ku uses for its uplink (hence, "reverse band") They found there was so much signal spill you couldn't reliably receive a reverse band signal up to a half mile away from a Ku uplink site, depending on orientation. They wish it would work like a laser and all the power would go towards the satellite they are aiming at, but that's not how physics works.

A satellite dish is receiving a signal at around -90 dbm, which is about equal to 3 bars on your phone (there is no standard scale, so it depends on the software the phone is running exactly how many bars equals how strong of a signal) Phones can typically lock a signal up to around -115 dbm or so. Cellular signals are insanely weak, the idea they can cause health effects unless you climb a tower and hold your head against the transmitter is just ridiculous conspiracy theory level Bullsh!t.

I said it needs to be investigated further and I stand by that statement...cell towers on telephone poles are too close for comfort

I think the satellite receive levels are a bit lower than that, I used to know but its all fuzzy now. Taking a hot signal right from the LNB is usually around -25 to -30dBm. My failing memory on the Slimline dish says the dish gain was about 34dBi and the LNB gains is around 55dB. I can go look this up later, but taking say -30dBm and subtracting a total of 89dB for dish and LNB gain leaves a signal around -119dBm. Then you get into thresholds for DVBS2 locking up, etc.

A satellite dish is receiving a signal at around -90 dbm, which is about equal to 3 bars on your phone (there is no standard scale, so it depends on the software the phone is running exactly how many bars equals how strong of a signal) Phones can typically lock a signal up to around -115 dbm or so. Cellular signals are insanely weak, the idea they can cause health effects unless you climb a tower and hold your head against the transmitter is just ridiculous conspiracy theory level Bullsh!t.

If Dish ever puts a 5g antenna near my home or business I’m suing them for health reasons[/QUOTE

I work on 30 Ghz high power satellite equipment to get an RF safety monitor to even chirp we have to put it on a stick and get it directly into the beam between the reflector and feed. The EIRP on a 5G cell site is far weaker than that.

Yes, very true. The RF levels on the main reflector of a high power transmitting dish can be surprisingly low because they have been spread out from a very small concentrated area within the feed to the large surface area of the dish. Put the same RF monitor between the feed and sub reflector and it will go up in smoke.

I work on 30 Ghz high power satellite equipment to get an RF safety monitor to even chirp we have to put it on a stick and get it directly into the beam between the reflector and feed. The EIRP on a 5G cell site is far weaker than that.

AT&T is reporting almost the same free cash flow from Directv that they were a few years ago when there were several million more subscribers, so they probably aren't lying about losing the least profitable customers. So far.

AT&T is reporting almost the same free cash flow from Directv that they were a few years ago when there were several million more subscribers, so they probably aren't lying about losing the least profitable customers. So far.

Exactly. What good is it for them to have a subscriber they have to keep on handing out discounts to stay. 1 Truck Roll for a service call, a free upgrade and there goes all your profit on that customer for the next several months.

I think the only reason why they where keeping these subscribers on the books was to keep Wall Street happy.

With all the streaming crap out there, you can’t hide subscriber losses easily anymore.

Might as well unload all of them, take the hit for the next several months and come back in a stronger position later.

A bit of simple math shows that Directv makes about $200 a year per subscriber, so we're talking about $16/month. Given that the discounts for the first year are a lot bigger than that, they probably lose money on those people even if there were no install costs. The install costs simply mean they lose even more. There's no way they can make it all back on the second year, so people who sign up for the 24 month period and then leave for a "new customer" deal with Dish or cable and come back to Directv a few years later are 100% money losers for Directv.

Those are the next people they will want to get rid of - if someone was with them for less than 30 months within the last six years, don't let them sign up with discounts as a new customer. If those people want to sign up, make them pay full price from day one.

Yes, very true. The RF levels on the main reflector of a high power transmitting dish can be surprisingly low because they have been spread out from a very small concentrated area within the feed to the large surface area of the dish. Put the same RF monitor between the feed and sub reflector and it will go up in smoke.

The only place the Narda RF personal RF monitor alarms is directly between the feed and subreflector, it did not alarm anywhere else on any of the dishes. We do RF sweeps of the site twice a year using a calibrated probe, and we can't detect any RF on the ground anywhere around the antennas. .1 watt per CM scale. With C band 58db gain dishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts