DirecTV loses 1.2 million customers

AT&T needs to get off their ASS and finish wiring all their areas they currently serve for Fiber and 100% get rid of the traditional copper infrastructure.

That will take care of the 20 states they provide land line service to now, and the can use satellite for the areas they don’t serve.

They can very easily make a converter to take Fiber and make it comparable with Directv set top boxes.

But until they are done converting all their copper over, they need to leave Directv alone.

If Dish ever gets Directv (so help us god) they will probably get residential customers in the 30 states they don’t provide fiber to.

I’m willing to bet money AT&T will convert all the Directv subs in their states to a hybrid Directv/Fiber solution and basically replace the dish with fiber.

They are already talking about doing this for hotel and assisted living properties.

Reactions: CycloneSat
No..this week its 5g until something cheaper comes along

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Most of 5G will be fiber-fed. There are also many areas that don’t have the framework to support this. People who order 5G will have to be close to the 5G cell towers for the maximum benefit, not to mention it will definitely have issues penetrating through walls, buildings and even windows. Traditional fiber will be able to get 5G speeds to the home in more areas, while also having faster Ethernet speeds. 5G and Fiber can easily co-exist, and there’ll be a down-slope in DSL and cable subscriptions.

5g will just be the last mile for fiber...there are 2 kinds of 5g...fixed 5g...thats where they put mini cell antennas on a telephone pole in your neighborhood. And then cellular 5g which is really not ready and probably be released as 6g with better frequencies....current 5g is using high frequencies that dont travel well...fixed 5g has to have an antenna on the roof or some kind of signal booster....fixed 5g is simiar to some of the wifi soloutions already availible in rural areas but with much faster speeds
Most of 5G will be fiber-fed. There are also many areas that don’t have the framework to support this. People who order 5G will have to be close to the 5G cell towers for the maximum benefit, not to mention it will definitely have issues penetrating through walls, buildings and even windows. Traditional fiber will be able to get 5G speeds to the home in more areas, while also having faster Ethernet speeds. 5G and Fiber can easily co-exist, and there’ll be a down-slope in DSL and cable subscriptions.

5g will just be the last mile for fiber...there are 2 kinds of 5g...fixed 5g...thats where they put mini cell antennas on a telephone pole in your neighborhood. And then cellular 5g which is really not ready and probably be released as 6g with better frequencies....current 5g is using high frequencies that dont travel well...fixed 5g has to have an antenna on the roof or some kind of signal booster....fixed 5g is simiar to some of the wifi soloutions already availible in rural areas but with much faster speeds

I saw a crew digging a hole and had the orange cable truck across the street from where I live. I think they were Mastec trucks. Does this mean they are upgrading the area with AT&T Fiber?

I saw a crew digging a hole and had the orange cable truck across the street from where I live. I think they were Mastec trucks. Does this mean they are upgrading the area with AT&T Fiber?

If where you live is anywhere like where I live, most of the fiber duct I see going in has nothing to do with residential ISPs.

I heavily doubt that. AT&T already unfulfilled their fiber promise, and that's partially because the government can't map their broadband availability correctly. FCC map says I apparently have fiber in my area. But no, it's actually just cable, DSL or satellite. Fiber is still vastly superior to both cable and 5G. 5G won't replace fiber, 5G NEEDS fiber, some companies have stated that it is its backbone. 5G can NOT exist without fiber. And it will need a large amount of it too. And wired connections will definitely still exist, wireless still and might even always have its issues. 5G's millimeter wave frequencies won't even be able to pass through walls and doors. Don't expect 5G to replace fiber-to-the-home or maybe even DSL and cable in most homes, it's not gonna happen. 4G LTE prices are already somewhat high, and 5G won't be any better, if not worse. There is absolutely no way that wireless service is going to be competitive with high-speed wireline services. 5G WILL be a great thing. But mainly for phones. And maybe rural areas, but wired internet is here to stay. 5G and fiber can co-exist. Attempting to install enough fiber to base stations to provide full mmWave coverage makes much less sense than just running a wireline service to each home. And don't forget about last-mile links. Fiber smokes 5G when it comes to that. FFTH is and will remain the best option for high-speed broadband, in most homes.

Running fiber to each home (unless it is being newly developed so there's no trenching yards) is what doesn't make sense. FAR cheaper to put a tiny mmwave 5G antenna on a telephone pole or streetlight that covers a block in all directions.

Reactions: Juan
Running fiber to each home (unless it is being newly developed so there's no trenching yards) is what doesn't make sense. FAR cheaper to put a tiny mmwave 5G antenna on a telephone pole or streetlight that covers a block in all directions.
I saw the diagram on how fixed wireless works and it looks like you need to have the 5g Gateway in front of the window for line of sight. Not sure how people would like having a 5g gateway in front of a window? :)

Reactions: navychop
The antenna would be on the roof
I saw the diagram on how fixed wireless works and it looks like you need to have the 5g Gateway in front of the window for line of sight. Not sure how people would like having a 5g gateway in front of a window? :)

Yeah, sure. For some people, mainly urban areas.

Fiber to the home around here is mostly overhead, paralleling the copper POTS lines. ATT installed all new fiber in my neighborhood on the wooden phone poles just last year and their doing the whole town like that.

Fiber to the home around here is mostly overhead, paralleling the copper POTS lines. ATT installed all new fiber in my neighborhood on the wooden phone poles just last year and their doing the whole town like that.

Yeah they are not burying nothing.

I wanted my drop buried in conduit and I pretty much had to let the tech leave me the roll of cable to do it myself. I ran it in conduit and added a weather head
IMG_4522.JPG
IMG_4521.JPG

I’m dumping DTV soon, I rarely watch cable tv anymore.

it will save me a pretty penny.
Nowadays I stick to Netflix and Amazon Video, soon I will be adding Disney Plus which will include ESPN.
So yeah, I think I’m good.

Whether it works in the window will depend on the frequency range being used. The really high frequencies can't make it through glass, especially not the low-e glass most newer homes (or newer windows on older homes) use. You might need it on the outside of your house, but it would be really small, it could be on the side of the house, under the eave, etc. The "gateway" would still be inside your house, just the antenna would be on the outside. If people are willing to put up with a giant satellite dish on their roof today, they aren't going to mind an antenna a tiny fraction of that size on the outside of their house.

Yeah, sure. For some people, mainly urban areas.

AT&T is going to be deploying it in a lot of rural areas. The mmwave frequencies are only used in dense areas, in rural areas they will use lower frequency ranges that can carry a few miles - having one tower that serves a 10 or 20 sq mile area is fine when there are only a few dozen to few hundred homes in that area. They won't need to run fiber to those towers either, they'll use AirGig on overhead power lines for the backhaul.

That's fine in neighborhoods that have aerial lines, its not so easy where utilities are buried. Running fiber that last 50-100 feet to the house means digging up the yard, dealing with other utilities to have their locations marked (and they aren't always right so they risk piercing a gas, electric or water line when they trench) potentially dealing with tree roots, and so forth. Easier to use fixed wireless for the "last mile" (i.e. last few hundred feet) in such places.

That's fine in neighborhoods that have aerial lines, its not so easy where utilities are buried. Running fiber that last 50-100 feet to the house means digging up the yard, dealing with other utilities to have their locations marked (and they aren't always right so they risk piercing a gas, electric or water line when they trench) potentially dealing with tree roots, and so forth. Easier to use fixed wireless for the "last mile" (i.e. last few hundred feet) in such places.

When Google first started installing fiber in Austin they were using the traditional method of digging a trench and laying the fiber. Lots of complaints about torn up yards and sidewalks. They then switched to micro trenching, lot less problems and it went much quicker.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts