Directv might drop the NFL Sunday Ticket

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
WSJ News Exclusive | DirecTV Rethinks NFL Sunday Ticket Deal Amid Cord-Cutting

The company’s chief operating officer, John Stankey, said he believes Sunday Ticket’s value to the company has peaked and that a renewal—especially if it comes with a higher price tag—will be hard to justify at a time when consumers are canceling pay-TV connections, including at DirecTV.

The cost of Sunday Ticket rights has risen dramatically. The current 8-year deal’s average annual fee is a roughly 50% increase over the previous pact, which expired in 2014. DirecTV loses more than $500 million annually on the football package, people with knowledge of the deal said.

Also I hate when all CEOs do is cut cost ...

But honestly there is no other major tv provider that can handle / support NFL ST .

Xfinity is already compressing all channels down to 720p

They didn't even air last nights 4k game

As much as I love the telcos, let's face it there CEOs are also trying to phase out video and or are not expanding FTTH (which brings tears to my eyes)

So that leaves what dish ... ??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Man ...

And all this time I thought ST was their biggest (if not "biggest") money maker.

Now to see they're actually losing around $500 million a year on the package ...

Sheesh, .....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Theh might loose but I bet it's there biggest $ maker

That's like saying if vzw stopped investing in network cause it cost too much

Costing too much is not the same as losing money. Please explain how losing $500 million a year is their biggest money maker.

Also I hate when all CEOs do is cut cost ...

But honestly there is no other major tv provider that can handle / support NFL ST .

Xfinity is already compressing all channels down to 720p

They didn't even air last nights 4k game

As much as I love the telcos, let's face it there CEOs are also trying to phase out video and or are not expanding FTTH (which brings tears to my eyes)

So that leaves what dish ... ??

Any decent cable system could easily handle NFL Sunday Ticket.

The most amount of NFL games that would be going on simultaneously on any given Sunday would be 13. That’s assuming all early games overlap with later games. Most cable systems already carry the 18 GAME and TEAM HD channels from iNDemand for the other sports packages. The MLB regular season and NFL season only overlap by a month. There aren’t many NHL games on Sunday’s, not sure about the NBA. Assuming that there would be anywhere from 2 to 4 games a week that are being carried on your locals, that would be blacked out on the Sunday Ticket feed, you’re looking at having 10 channels max dedicated for NFL Sunday Ticket. If around 2000 MLB games can be carried on MLB EI on cable, why would they have a problem with 200 NFL games?

Isn't that what Verizon did with Fios?

Too expensive too deploy + not enough subscribers taking service to make an ROI = Fios Deployment Ceased

Ever since Verizon became full owner for of VZW, all they care about is wireless. Their copper service sucks, they cherry picked fiber deployments then abandoned their land-based customers in favor of cellular.

I posted at the time many months ago when At&t said the future isn't Directv that this is likely the last exclusive deal with them. I think there is little question of that. But that doesn't mean no deal. Could be only Directv as a provider can offer it, but it could be opened up to more ways to get games. Maybe not all games, maybe streaming only etc etc.
As others have said maybe the NFL would want to test the waters with another exclusive deal with someone. Would they take the most money offered it was streaming only, say Amazon for example?

Also does want Directv want to have that kind of commitment if they are looking to sell?

Just like the other 12 times I’ve heard this before. Sunday Ticket is most likely not going anywhere, if it was dropped, I’d be going straight to DISH.

I have rarely heard that Directv would not keep the NFL package till it was disclosed At&t might not want to put much more into Directv. How often could there be talk of it the contract was signed 6 years ago and goes another two years. In 2013 sure, anytime around contract time rumors fly.
There isn't a chance DISH would or maybe even could pay that kind of money. It isn't a money maker anymore for a Satellite provide, it won't bring in enough subscribers in the current atmosphere of cord cutting. How's it working for Directv bleeding customers.
If DISH could be one of several ways to get games therefore greatly reducing the cost that might be different.

I posted at the time many months ago when At&t said the future isn't Directv that this is likely the last exclusive deal with them. I think there is little question of that. But that doesn't mean no deal. Could be only Directv as a provider can offer it, but it could be opened up to more ways to get games. Maybe not all games, maybe streaming only etc etc.
As others have said maybe the NFL would want to test the waters with another exclusive deal with someone. Would they take the most money offered it was streaming only, say Amazon for example?

Also does want Directv want to have that kind of commitment if they are looking to sell?
I don't see the NFL going streaming Only ... that would be a HUGE mistake. (especially if that meant taking them off OTA as well.)

I don't see the NFL going streaming Only ... that would be a HUGE mistake. (especially if that meant taking them off OTA as well.)

I didn't mean losing how it works now, of course they stay on the Networks Sunday.Simply Amazon going for the same deal Directv now has is what I meant. When I said Streaming only that was in conjunction with Directv keeping Sunday Ticket but with less exclusivity - they would be only non streaming provider, Amazon the streaming provider as an example.

Reactions: Jimbo
I didn't mean losing how it works now, of course they stay on the Networks Sunday.Simply Amazon going for the same deal Directv now has is what I meant. When I said Streaming only that was in conjunction with Directv keeping Sunday Ticket but with less exclusivity - they would be only non streaming provider, Amazon the streaming provider as an example.
I could work with that ...

That would also allow you to watch outside of your network via the AP Video app.

I don't understand the unforced errors that ATT keeps taking.

“There’s less profitability to support the decision” to offer Sunday Ticket, Mr. Stankey said in an interview earlier this week. “It becomes less critical to the business over time.”

Your customers can read these quotes. You're telling them that you don't feel this service you offer is important to your business going forward.

You might as well hang a sign that says "Hey ATT customers (suckers!), we don't believe in this product anymore and we're not going to invest in it at all, but keep giving us your money to buy it! Just know we're going to shut it down as soon as we can."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)