DirecTV offers to customers who complain about dropped Viacom channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Called today because my two daughters are literally flipping out over the nick channels. I explained that I would like to cancel my service because my kids are driving me nuts and I need to switch over to Time Warner. Retention actually asked me how much credit a month would it take to keep me? I explained that $15 bucks a month would do it to off set me having to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu Plus. She said that I qualify for $20 a month for the next 12 months, so I took it.

harshness said:
It depends on how you spin it. DIRECTV is calling it a 30% increase but given that it covers a 7 year contract, the blow is not as gargantuan as DIRECTV would have you believe. Independent analyses suggest that the old trend was for around 27% anyway so 30% is a bump, not a mountain of difference.

Those who look at the dollar figure are ignoring the scale of things. Remember that this is divided out over 20 million (give or take) customers.

The last contract was for 7 years. I heard the new one they are negotiating is just 4 years. The majority of people in the industry are taking D's side as well as me. 30% or 1 billion is too much of a jump whether it is a 7 or 4 year contract. Viacom should have thought of this and had staggered increases in a long multi year contract. Not D's fault they were not smart enough to do so.

Antenna TV is a OTA station only so they can only add it two ways
It is a -1 (main) channel of a station (and it qualifies for must carry)
The local station that has it on a subchannel convinces Directv to add it

oh and Antenna TV is BETTER than TVLand. AntennaTV plays old shows. They play them in their specific timeframe (30 minutes). No bug on the screen and they actually play the credits with no cut-ins

I called to complain and got $10 off my package for three months:) Question: WHY CAN'T DTV add a channel called Antenna TV from the Tribune group? It's just like TV-LAND?

What Iceberg said. You can add it to Directv with an OTA Antenna and a Directv AM21 tuner. For where you are, I believe WJZY 46-2 Charlotte has Antenna TV programming. I have Antenna TV from Raleigh on WNCN 17-2. WGHP Greensboro also has Antenna TV programming, but their 8-2 channel does NOT work on Directv. In the photo, 17-2 is Antenna TV. downsized_0715120145.jpg

Sunday ticket seems to be the big credit for direct subs! Looks like a nice offer for folks

Are you guys talking with the person who answers the call after you give cancellation as you reason for calling? I haven't been offered anything good after two attempts. Just free Starz for 6 months.

Are you guys talking with the person who answers the call after you give cancellation as you reason for calling? I haven't been offered anything good after two attempts. Just free Starz for 6 months.

I got nothing yet either, just crap.

Attempt #1, Foreign CSR, only offered 3 months of Showtime and Starz or $10 for six months. NO THANKS!

Attempt #2 American CSR, $1 for Sports Pack for 6 months and HD Extra Pack which is a bunch of 8 crap HD channels that no one watches free for 3 months. NO THANKS!

I explained the fact that I already subscribe to Encore and Choice Ultimate, maybe I need to change my angle. Like maybe my cable company is offering to pay my ETF.

The offers depend on different factors including your payment history, how long you have been with them, and even what packages you have or have ordered in the past. I'm sure that is not everything that is used to calculate what they can do for you.

As someone who's been with DTV for several years but just recently switched back 6 months ago, they sure didn't want to do anything for me when I called. I did get $5 off for the next two months which was nice but I called today and spoke with the retention department and the guy who answered wanted nothing to do with helping me out. I asked him nicely what my early termination fee would be and he told me $320. I asked him for updates on the Viacom dispute and he told me to check the website. It sounded like he was sucking on a lollipop while he was talking to me. Very dry, very cold. Oh well, I didn't really expect much but it was worth a shot. I actually support DirecTV in all of this but I am going to be missing a few shows that I enjoy on Comedy Central if this doesn't get squared away.

Can you imagine all the calls these guys are taking about this ?
It's got to be excessive ...

Too bad everyone isn't calling Viacom instead .... they are the ones that pulled the channels ...

I just called. Not to ask for anything since I wouldn't have noticed the channels were gone, but just to give a little empathy to the csr. She thanked me very much. Said most people are not super upset which they all appreciated. I was glad to hear that. I had no wait at all getting through and she was an American.

So no Roku Box? Didn't read through all the thread yet.

Can someone call them and ask for Canadian channels? I'd like to see ABC Spark and Melissa and Joey in HD. Why are they holding back on us?

And Much so I can see LA Complex in HD. Already thinking of getting more bandwidth and going to DirecTorrent just in case.

Jimbo said:
Can you imagine all the calls these guys are taking about this ?
It's got to be excessive ...

Too bad everyone isn't calling Viacom instead .... they are the ones that pulled the channels ...

Yea I would imagine they're getting a lot of calls on this. It's got to be frustrating to deal with.

Called and said I already get Encore, so the free Encore didn't do much for me, then she just kept piling it on:
$5/off HBO 6 mo
$5/off Starz 6/mo
$5/off Encore 6/mo
$5/off Shotime 6/mo
$10/off HD access 6/mo
$5/off package 6/mo
offered to go to $20 off my package for 6 months if I signed up for Sunday Ticket, but I declined that.
Did not go to retention, just a super nice CSR.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)