DIRECTV & PAC 12 Network: What's Taking So Long? By Swanni

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dish has a lot of their sports in SD which is unacceptable. Looks like crap on widescreens. That's the reason I'm with D*. Dish has always been poor with sports channels so it's kind of surprising they came to an agreement before D*.
Same here :)

If its SD only it might as well not be available at all.
A lot of people don't even have HD yet. When I walk around my neighborhood I still see a lot of SD dishes. Are you saying that people with SD only shouldn't be able to see the Pac12 Network just because you can't see it in HD?

According to this website in January of 2012 "close to 60 percent of all TV sets in the United States, are not HDTVs."

http://broadcastengineering.com/news/us_hdtv_two-thirds_research_01172012

john262 said:
A lot of people don't even have HD yet. I haven't seen any stats on it but I do know that when I walk around my neighborhood I still see a lot of SD dishes. Are you saying that people with SD only shouldn't be able to see the Pac12 Network just because you can't see it in HD?

I don't think thats what he's saying at all. I cant speak for him but im sure hes just saying they should offer it for both because the majority of people that have HD will not watch a sports channel if its not in HD. I know I don't.

I actually have all SD channels blocked from my guide.

john262 said:
A lot of people don't even have HD yet. When I walk around my neighborhood I still see a lot of SD dishes. Are you saying that people with SD only shouldn't be able to see the Pac12 Network just because you can't see it in HD?

According to this website in January of 2012 "close to 60 percent of all TV sets in the United States, are not HDTVs."

HD can be easily down converted for the SD only crowd.

It's counter productive to be adding SD versions of channels these days. Why not launch an HD only channel and then let the providers do a down convert to SD if needed?

I'm really curious as to what the problem is between DirecTV and the Pac-12. D* has always been pretty good about getting sports coverage, so this is puzzling. From what I've seen of the Pac-12 Network's advertising and push to get us to switch to cable shows a lot of arrogance. If they didn't exist, some of these football games would be shown on other networks. so as far as I'm concerned, we may have been better off it they didn't exist. Like tomorrow night, I have to think Duke-Stanford and OSU-Arizona would be attractive to other networks. I'll miss my Colorado game tomorrow, but it may not have been shown on any other network so that would have been a benefit, but at what cost.

Time Warner Cable has Pac12 where I live. TIME WARNER CABLE!!! Only Dish hates sports more than TWC. If they can get a deal, it baffles me as to why Directv can't. TWC only has the main feed (at least here in NC) - Duke is playing Stanford tomorrow night and it's only on Pac12-Bay Area. My friend has been bragging about having the Pac12 Network with TWC; he (and many others) don't understand when I tell them that there are several feeds of Pac12 and TWC isn't carrying the Duke game here. I was looking forward to, yet again, having a game with Directv that they didn't have with TWC since I assumed Directv would have it by now - and have all the feeds.

sad sad day

the day Dish gets a legit sports channel (not some soccer or cricket or tiddleywinks crap) on before Directv does :(

lsilvest said:
Dish has a lot of their sports in SD which is unacceptable. Looks like crap on widescreens. That's the reason I'm with D*. Dish has always been poor with sports channels so it's kind of surprising they came to an agreement before D*.

Need to disagree. ESPN U, the ESPN Alts, BiEn, and now Pac-12. And yes, RSNs are only HD during live games. Other than that, everything else is primarily in HD. Now an argument that Directv has more sports nets, I could never win that. But to say a lot of the sports are in SD just needs an asterisk next to that. Replay sports yes, live games, not so much.

Just remember Iceberg that it's SD only on Dish. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't watch it in SD anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)