DIRECTV & PAC 12 Network: What's Taking So Long? By Swanni

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Iceberg said:
I understood Pac12 to be like the Big10 net
1 main channel and various alternates

No, one main channels and seven regional full time channels. Washington, Oregon, sf bay, la, etc. showing all the content from the schools from that area (that doesn't make the main channel).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

thats kinda how the Big10 one works too

so if I live in Washington or in Los Angeles the programming is pretty much the same except for games. If I have cable in Washington I would get the Washington games on the "main" channel and the others on alt channels.

Iceberg said:
thats kinda how the Big10 one works too

so if I live in Washington or in Los Angeles the programming is pretty much the same except for games. If I have cable in Washington I would get the Washington games on the "main" channel and the others on alt channels.

But at the BTN alts full time channels that show sports x, y and z or are they really only alts?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don't think the $14.99 would fly at all - I know I'd pass on it. The sports package at $12.99 IMHO is already very overpriced. Looking for the day when we can get a sports only package and pass on the other 8,000 channels most of us don't watch.
The Pac 12 is weak! Maybe for a penny! Other then that it's way too much money!

The difference between the BIg10 net and Pac12 looks like this

-Big10 is one feed full time and alternates only during the 13 weeks of football.....
-Pac12 channels are full time (my mistake previously)....one is the "main" and the others show the same thing across the board unless its a "regional game". I noticed that when checking it online. As example Time Warner in LA carries 2 channels. One is the "national" and the other one is the "regional"....about 85-90% of the programming is the same on both.

Big10 for satellite doesnt matter as they have alt channels. But cable does have "regional" feeds. As example on satellite this weekend Minnesota plays on an alt channel (611-1) but on cable it will be on the "main" channel and the game on the "main" will get pushed to the alt channel.

I'd like to know why the Big10 network on D* is included in my Choice Extra (Classic) package which indicates a lower cost factor and there is talk about a substantial charge for the Pac-12 network? D* has always considered sports a prime promotional tactic, so it seems strange that they would be balking at adding the Pac-12 network. This really doesn't make a lot of sense unless the Pac-12 network is asking for exhorbitant rates. I haven't checked on the Dish sports pack channels lately, but when I had it until last year, the sports pack was mainly a lot of SD channels but the pack was similar to D* at a little over 1/2 the price. Personally, I think the D* sports package is very overpriced, but I don't know if that's because of the plethora of HD programming or that they have channels that are more attractive to or deemed necessary by the New York and east coast fans and feel they can get away with the price.

I assume it has to do (Big10) with the fact Fox owns it and at the time it launched Directv was owned by Newscorp (who also owned Fox)

PAC 12: DIRECTV Deal Not Close
By Swanni Washington, D.C. (September 16, 2012) -- PAC 12 Commissioner Larry Scott says DIRECTV is not close to landing a deal to carry the conference's new regional sports channel.

"There's a lot of interest in our programming and it's a fair offer," Scott said, according to The Orange County Register. "They (DIRECTV) don't feel it's a fair offer. Forty other companies feel differently."

Scott was referring to the PAC 12 Network's deals with Dish, Time Warner Cable, Cox and Comcast, among others. Those TV providers are now carrying the new channel which airs PAC 12 college football and basketball games.

Prior to the PAC 12 Network's launch last month, several news reports indicated that the two sides were close to landing a deal. But DIRECTV and PAC 12 Network officials have battled over how everything from how much the channel is worth to whether the satcaster should carry all seven PAC 12 feeds. (The PAC 12 Network has one national feed and six regional feeds.)

Despite Scott acknowledging that talks with DIRECTV are not progressing, he remains hopeful a deal will get worked out soon. The regional sports channel could use DIRECTV's 20 million subscribers.

"We won't be satisfied until DIRECTV signs on..." Scott said, according to The Orange County Register. "We will push as hard as we can to get it done."

Still waiting my sun devils will not be on espn this weekend only the PAC 12 network but D still hasn't added it! Looks like I won't be able to watch!!!

PAC-12, you want it? You pay for it. That seems like a simple solution to me.

Nice attitude. How about if you pay for what you want and leave the rest of us out of it. I probably don't care to be paying for most of what you watch since I watch almost exclusively sports. I'd like to see a division where there were sports only packages as a separation from entertainment packages. I think those of you that don't like sports would be in for a rude awakening as to what would happen to your programming and costs.

I had read that link earlier and have to wonder where Directv's head is. The link says 144 games which is way overstated. Each team plays 9 conference games and at least 3 non-conference games. That comes to a total of 90 games (they counted each conference game as 2 games). And the Pac 12 does not control all 90 as the road games are controlled by the host team's tv partners. If they can't figure this out wonder how they are computing the costs vs. income?

I had read that link earlier and have to wonder where Directv's head is. The link says 144 games which is way overstated. Each team plays 9 conference games and at least 3 non-conference games. That comes to a total of 90 games (they counted each conference game as 2 games). And the Pac 12 does not control all 90 as the road games are controlled by the host team's tv partners. If they can't figure this out wonder how they are computing the costs vs. income?

12 teams and they play 12 games each. 12 times 12 is 144 games. Yes some of those are inter-conference, but in total that is still 144 games on the schedule for the conference.

Directv said in the statement that Pac 12 doesn't control all the games, that some are ESPN and Fox networks as well.

osu, if 12 conference teams play 9 confernce games each that is just 54 games not 108. The conference games do not count as 2 games even if 2 conference teams are plaing each other. You might want to head back to Stillwater for some more math. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts