DIRECTV & PAC 12 Network: What's Taking So Long? By Swanni

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you are a big fan of a particular team I think that you would be willing to grit your teeth and watch it in SD if that is your only alternative.

Need to disagree. ESPN U, the ESPN Alts, BiEn, and now Pac-12. And yes, RSNs are only HD during live games. Other than that, everything else is primarily in HD. Now an argument that Directv has more sports nets, I could never win that. But to say a lot of the sports are in SD just needs an asterisk next to that. Replay sports yes, live games, not so much.

If you are talking about Dish, then yes, there is little HD in sports, but that is not the case with DirecTV. The only thing I care about in HD IS THE LIVE SPORTS. I rarely watch the yaketty-yak crap anyway and with 5 tuners I don't need to watch replays, but again with D* they are in HD. The point is, since we are paying more for sports we shouldn't have to put up with any SD. If you don't have HDTV then you don't understand what we are talking about anyway. And, if you have Dish, then you are not a real sports fan.

lsilvest said:
If you are talking about Dish, then yes, there is little HD in sports, but that is not the case with DirecTV. The only thing I care about in HD IS THE LIVE SPORTS. I rarely watch the yaketty-yak crap anyway and with 5 tuners I don't need to watch replays, but again with D* they are in HD. The point is, since we are paying more for sports we shouldn't have to put up with any SD. If you don't have HDTV then you don't understand what we are talking about anyway. And, if you have Dish, then you are not a real sports fan.

Did you read and understand what I posted. Live HD sports are just about even between the two companies (for the channels both companies provide). Except for ESPN U, the ESPN Alt channels, BiEn, and now Pac-12. Most live games are in HD on Dish. Yes some are JIPed, which are a pain in the butt for those effected. But take most of the East Coast markets. If you want to see your game live in HD, you will on Dish. Just not in the New York market. Directv has Dish there. As for real sports fans. I didn't realize there was a difference between a real fan and I guess a fake fan? That's the opposite of real. Anyway can you PM me the manual for being a sports fan, because I didn't know subscribing to a specific tv provider was part of the criteria. Thanks.

Michael Micheletti?@mic2112

@DIRECTVService what's going on with the PAC 12 network? When we getting it?

Service?@DIRECTVService

@mic2112 We are still in negotiations.Please stay tuned to http://directv.com/pr for any updates.

Did you read and understand what I posted. Live HD sports are just about even between the two companies (for the channels both companies provide). Except for ESPN U, the ESPN Alt channels, BiEn, and now Pac-12. Most live games are in HD on Dish. Yes some are JIPed, which are a pain in the butt for those effected. But take most of the East Coast markets. If you want to see your game live in HD, you will on Dish. Just not in the New York market. Directv has Dish there. As for real sports fans. I didn't realize there was a difference between a real fan and I guess a fake fan? That's the opposite of real. Anyway can you PM me the manual for being a sports fan, because I didn't know subscribing to a specific tv provider was part of the criteria. Thanks.

It's very simple. If you are a true sports fan and want the best coverage, you go with a provider that emphasizes sports and provides the best quality picture and the broadest range of coverage and that is not Dish. Dish is the worst option because they really don't cater to sports fans. Or maybe I should have said discriminating in deference to passive.

lsilvest said:
It's very simple. If you are a true sports fan and want the best coverage, you go with a provider that emphasizes sports and provides the best quality picture and the broadest range of coverage and that is not Dish. Dish is the worst option because they really don't cater to sports fans. Or maybe I should have said discriminating in deference to passive.

Just make sure to base that on what you are fan of. I'm a huge hockey fan. Dish provides virtually equal hockey coverage to fans in Boston as Directv does. Now if I was a baseball fan, not as much. I like the Red Sox (said with a paper bag on my head). Dish is great for them. But if I watched college baseball and was a huge Dodgers fan. I'd be screwed. If I was a Yankees or Mets fan, forget it. I couldn't even "move" to NYC. So your argument stands, regionally. In Boston, as a hockey and even football fan. Dish covers me just as nice as Directv would. I personally rather have a red zone like channel over ST, only because football is played at the same exact time, once per week.

Just make sure to base that on what you are fan of. I'm a huge hockey fan. Dish provides virtually equal hockey coverage to fans in Boston as Directv does. Now if I was a baseball fan, not as much. I like the Red Sox (said with a paper bag on my head). Dish is great for them. But if I watched college baseball and was a huge Dodgers fan. I'd be screwed. If I was a Yankees or Mets fan, forget it. I couldn't even "move" to NYC. So your argument stands, regionally. In Boston, as a hockey and even football fan. Dish covers me just as nice as Directv would. I personally rather have a red zone like channel over ST, only because football is played at the same exact time, once per week.

Point taken. The regional analysis is quite valid, as are individual preferences. I don't knock Dish because of any dislike for them, but I had to change because of the way they handled sports, especially college football. Having to hunt around for the HD versions and not be able to program a recording because of them throwing the games onto alternate channels (don't have that problem with D*) was a real pain.

Would be nice to at least have the main channel included with the rest of the regionals. Seems espn/abc/fox are already carrying the "best" games of the week though.

This really cuts into my 1 AM weekend sports viewing. I hope a deal gets worked out soon. I am not a PAC 12 fan, but I do watch the games if nothing else is on. It is a big deal to some though. The college sports broadcasting landscape is changing quickly, and with new RSNs like the one for the LA Lakers coming out too, DirecTV really needs to try and keep up or they will lose one of the defining things that sets them apart from other providers: sports coverage dominance. That is the intention with some of these networks though. ;) I just hate feeling like I'm settling. It feels like I have Dish again. I need a shower after saying that...

I still say the main games will be on espn or cbs or abc or a few on fox.We get the sec games of the week here at 11.00 am on sat.Espn market this game every once and while it turn out to be a good game. Pacs 12 want seven channels to show their games. I support direc on their stand so far.

Last edited:
larry55 said:
I still say the main games will be on espn or cbs or abc or a few on fox.We get the sec games of the week here at 11.00 am on sat.Espn market this game every once and while it turn out to be a good game. Pacs 12 want seven channels to show their games. I support direc on their stand so far.

The main games won't necessarily be on the other channels. My understanding is that the networks held a sort of draft to determine who would get what games (PAC-12 included), so some of the marquee games will end up on the PAC-12 network.

I honestly think Direct is taking more of a Dish approach in trying to keep costs down. I think they've realized that they're already close the price point where people will say adios and they're being very careful about adding potentially expensive sports content.

Edit: it's not clear yet, but it looks like Dish worked out a means of keeping bandwidth costs down by offering game time alt channels instead of full time HD regional PTN channels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)