Directv Press Conference Recap

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess they have no plans for letting us share anything but pictures and mp3s.......lame

this has got to be the worst press conference ever. a new low. nebulous announcements of channels that don't even exist yet, still more promises of capacity (same as 2005), no new channels now, no new hardware, and an inordinate amount of time wasted on pimping their ridiculous videogame crap.

So, your not impressed?

Now talking about Sat->Go!. A portable satellite system. The worlds first completely portable self contained satellite system. It looks like a oversized briefcase. Says they can fit into the overhead bin of an airplane.

When you unfold the briefcase, the top portion of the case is a flat satellite antenna which you point, and it has a satellite finder built in.

A flat screen TV folds out and you can watch DTV all in one unit. Perfect for tailgating and camping.

The system has video inputs so you can plug in external video sources. The TV can be removed from the case so you can watch outside the case.

Available to A list customers around April of this year. Wide offering to best customers later.

Now talking about Sat->Go!. A portable satellite system. The worlds first completely portable self contained satellite system. It looks like a oversized briefcase. Says they can fit into the overhead bin of an airplane.

When you unfold the briefcase, the top portion of the case is a flat satellite antenna which you point, and it has a satellite finder built in.

A flat screen TV folds out and you can watch DTV all in one unit. Perfect for tailgating and camping.

The system has video inputs so you can plug in external video sources. The TV can be removed from the case so you can watch outside the case.

Available to A list customers around April of this year. Wide offering to best customers later.

Does directv listen to what the average customer actually wants?

Cant wait to see how airline security handles that. Some airlines already offer directv onboard anyway.

So, your not impressed?

i don't even know why i was so jazzed about this ces from them. i should have learned my lesson years ago. i wish someone would explain to me their fascination with televising videogames. i am a hardcore gamer, and let me tell you, if given the opportunity to watch complete strangers play videogames or play the games myself, then directv's offerings are doomed. i just don't know who they're trying to market this to. gamers are too busy playing, and non gamers could not care less...

Thinks the NASCAR hotpass will be the NFL sunday ticket of NASCAR. People dont really goto the race to watch the race. Says people want to watch their favority driver, not the leader.

They are going to produce 5 dedicated driver channels. Starting at Daytona, Directv will produce 5 new channels, 30 extra cameras, and dedicated announcers for each driver. Each channel will watch one driver the entire race.

Shows a NASCAR hotpass video. Again loud and flashy. Says NASCAR will be the leading sports programming. Fastest growing spectator sport. NASCAR hotpass will take you closer than every before.

All cameras on the channel will only show that driver, showing all pit stops etc. 5 cameras per channel will capture footages from the track, pit, and inside the car. Hear driver communications and strategy. Dedicated announcers for each channel and real time race statistics and leaderboard.

i don't even know why i was so jazzed about this ces from them. i should have learned my lesson years ago. i wish someone would explain to me their fascination with televising videogames. i am a hardcore gamer, and let me tell you, if given the opportunity to watch complete strangers play videogames or play the games myself, then directv's offerings are doomed. i just don't know who they're trying to market this to. gamers are too busy playing, and non gamers could not care less...

You have to undertstand how much of a multi billion dollar industry pro gaming is in some asian countries......its like the nfl....dont think it will take off here anytime soon though. The problem is pro gaming works best with games that are tried and true and several years old....in america we are used to playing the latest greatest games.

I guess that answers the question of what was in the case in 'Pulp Fiction.'

I have to say not surprised by the announcements. Nothing revolutionary or gotta have. I think most of us are so numb to the 150 national HD thing that its like Elvis. Unless its actually Elvis in the building, I dont believe it or care to hear about it again and again again.

Now I do like the on demand through the HR20 but so far, the latest beta release has made my DVR unstable and I had to turn off the network and OTA features.

I think the real test for D* this year will be to actually deliver the dozens of HD channels we've been fed, make their HD DVR stable, and release features that they've promised. To me, its all about D* being able to deliver.

CEO comes back on and says they are looking at what customers wants and providing that to the customer. Thinks it will be a great year for them.

First question, something about new HD channels and the price structure.

Channels will be part of an HD package. Still determining the best way to price the package. Premium movies will be extra etc. Look and feel like the packages offered today.

Says some of the HD networks dont exist today (CNN etc), some launch dates 3Q 2007.

Gaming is the #1 thing to watch on TV in South Korea and other parts of Asia. But not here...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)