DIRECTV rolls-out 4 more major DMAs with MPEG-4 LIL HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Philly install...

gwinchilla said:
Just got the upgrade...boy the dish is huge! Probably twice the size as the triple LNB. I feel bad for the installers lugging that sucker up the ladder...
Picture quality is good, possibly a little better....
There is no DVI hookup on the H20 only HDMI, component or S-Video. Does anyone know if there are any cables DVI on one end and HDMI on the other?
As far as what philly locals are in HD, I have two channels of each (cbs, abc, nbc and fox) one SD version and one HD version
I also still have the the NY locals on 80, 82, 86 and 88
NO UPN or WB

I got my Philly upgrade today. I was supposed to go this past Sunday (12/4) but due to a boatload of snow and ice on the roof the installer cancelled out on me. Right now the 4 locals in HD are ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. The installer told me that the 5th satellite is supposed to go up in the spring and that's the one that will have the national HDTV feeds. TNT, USA, etc, etc. He seemed pretty knowledgable about it all. The reason he told me that is when he set up the H20 it gave an error trying to lock in to the 5th satellite. The signal strength is good and I can't complain. The only thing I don't like is that I haven't been able to find a discrete remote code to power on and power off the H20 for my Harmony remote. It will toggle the power but my old RCA DTC-100 had a nice set of discrete's. Maybe DirecTV will work on that in a firmware update. Then again, maybe not.

The new dish is massive. I think the tech said it weighs 55 lbs. He wanted to do the install on the ground and bury a pipe in a hole to mount the unit. No dice. It went up on the roof. I'm quite happy with it so far. I can't wait for Sunday and the NFL so that I get everything there in HD. I don't get Sunday Ticket so now that I have locals it should be decent.

Now I could get completely rid of my terrestrial cable if Comcast Philly would stop being arrogant pr**ks and just let D* carry the channel.

Ok, off my soapbox. Get your orders in for Philly HD's. The lead times for the installs don't seem to be more than a couple of days.

MakDaddy

MAK thx for the report. I've been waiting for one. I'm assuming since you have cable that you don't have OTA right? though unless they ever get wb/upn up, I'll have this antenna up forever anyway :)

So how's the pic ?

jwoods158 said:
Does anyone know when the DC area (DMA #8) will be upgraded?

I thought it was today. To see if you can order go to the D* web site, and in local channels plug in your zip code, if you can get HD it will say so and what HD channels you'll get.

It is today 12/8

Called this morning at 10, system showed DC HD locals were live, but system still need to be tweaked so order could be 100% complete. Minimum 1 week delays between call and install.

I was wondering if the LA area in California is ready to go? I'm already getting all four networks in HD but I'm always willing to try something different. (mpeg4). Is there anyone in the LA area that has placed the order for the new dish?

OTA? Pic?

newsposter said:
MAK thx for the report. I've been waiting for one. I'm assuming since you have cable that you don't have OTA right? though unless they ever get wb/upn up, I'll have this antenna up forever anyway :)

So how's the pic ?

I don't have OTA. Before D* came out with their original HD package I had a $30 powered antenna from RadioShack that managed to work out well enough for 2 years of PGA Golf (Masters) tournament that CBS put out on HD. I'm a pretty serious Philly sports fan so I really need my Comcast SportsNet. If D* ever gets SportsNet then my cable is out the door.

The picture is definitely sharp. I haven't had a chance to watch too much TV on it. Work, kids, work, kids, xbox 360, kids, work...you get the idea. I'm definitely glad to have the locals. I'll know more after a few sporting events this weekend. If we get all the snow they're calling for it will be a good test to see if I get any snow fade.

Has D* even mentioned when some of the national stuff is going to proliferate out? What is the time line for that 5th bird?

That's when it'll really get good IMHO.

MakDaddy

Fightingmad said:
After reading the last couple threads today I called D*. The CSR told me that htdv locals are now available in chicago. But of course her order screen has not been updated (whatever that means) so a supervisor will have to call me back in order for me to place the order. I was told no special deals, 99.99 for the swapping of my hdtv receiver for the H-20 receiver and 5 LNB dish + 14.95 for installation. Apparently the 100.00 a month I spend on D* isn't good enough for a free upgrade. TYPICAL!!!!!!!!
That means that her system was not able to handle your request at the moment. A change like this takes time. If you want to act like the TYPICAL customer and throw a fit, then you will get the TYPICAL deal. Instead of being upset that you didnt get a free handout, why not be excited that you are one of the first subscribers to have this opportunity? Besides, if you pay that much per month, another hundred bucks won't break the bank.

STL is DMA #21, so a rough guess says late 2nd qtr or 3rd qtr '06

Attachments

• 09_2005 DMA List.zip
    95.3 KB · Views: 127
Oskee I said:
Called this morning at 10, system showed DC HD locals were live, but system still need to be tweaked so order could be 100% complete. Minimum 1 week delays between call and install.
I called on 12/8 and the system was down. My northern VA install is scheduled for 12/27, installs are running at least 2 weeks out for the HD upgrade here.

charper1 said:
STL is DMA #21, so a rough guess says late 2nd qtr or 3rd qtr '06

charper1 , by this guess, then when is Austin, Tx DMA #53 on the list........late 2007? I'm not being "funny"....I would love to know. I have no need for a HD-STB but want a HD-DVR.......

Barney

I think as more time goes by, and once SW2 is in DirecTV's control, you will begin to see much larger "blocks" of the DMA list "light up". As opposed to the 4 at a time now.

As things are RIGHT NOW, #53 ould be a TOUGH spot to be in, my GUESS has always been the top 50 by end of summer '06. So unless the DMA rankings change in your favor, or they go even faster than my guess, you might be end of '06 or spring '07. ALL THIS IS IMHO; I am not affiliated with DirecTV.

I am sure there are a few better folks that could better this guess if they care to share their insider info.

charper1 said:
I think as more time goes by, and once SW2 is in DirecTV's control, you will begin to see much larger "blocks" of the DMA list "light up". As opposed to the 4 at a time now.

As things are RIGHT NOW, #53 ould be a TOUGH spot to be in, my GUESS has always been the top 50 by end of summer '06. So unless the DMA rankings change in your favor, or they go even faster than my guess, you might be end of '06 or spring '07. ALL THIS IS IMHO; I am not affiliated with DirecTV.

I am sure there are a few better folks that could better this guess if they care to share their insider info.

Thanks, that about how I figure it to be which is cool, by then maybe D* will have added some more National HD programing & have all the "bugs" worked out with the installs, HD-DVR etc.

Barneypoo69 said:
maybe D* will have added some more National HD programing & have all the "bugs" worked out with the installs, HD-DVR etc.

That is more of what I am waiting for myself, and like you (I think) have mentioned before, that once the 2 SW birds are up and running, I will begin to hold them to adding at least 3 (hopefully 4+) national HD channels to appease those of us outside the top 12 DMA's.

Question for LonghornXP if you're watching

If I remember correctly, you were saying that your sources said that SW1 and SW2 would be configured to act as one big spot beam, with SW1 covering the eastern half of the country and SW2 doing the western half. I take it that the plan has changed since San Francisco is up on SW1. What's the current plan from the big brains out in LA??? Thanks

I believe that he was talking only for a few transponders to cover national hd channels, all the rest can still be spot beams for locals to more than the first 12 cities. It doesn't mean only 1 big spot beam from sw1 and sw 2 is all they can have up there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)