Directv to offer more HD

D* has re-defined the meaning of HDTV

vurbano:
Your signature reads "At what bitrate is HD no longer "high" definition?". According to D* the answer to your question is:

HBO HD 13.9mb/s
Showtime HD 6.5mb/s
HDNet Movies 7.8mb/s

See it at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=444673

Also, check out this other thread about the reduced D* resolutions:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=444673

"HBOHD (70) - 1280 x 1088I
SHOHD (71) - 1920 x 1088I
ESPNH (73) - 1280 x 720P
BRAVOHD (74) - 1920 x 1088I
DSCHD (76) - 1920 x 1088I
HDMOVIES (78) - 1280 x 1088I
HDNET (79) - 1280 x 1088I
CBSHD (80) - 1920 x 1088I

If VOOM ever decides to sell us to E*, they could at least provide us few & proud Voomers with a free year of VA VA VOOM service. :)

I like to think of myself as an optimist, but business is business and nobody is going to willingly part with their investment. If VOOM doesn't sell like chocolate at The Opera Show, the share holders will demand VOOM DSB be sold to the highest bidder.

Hmm...

I'm glad there are people out there who feel it's worth spending $1,000 for a TivoHD. However, at that price, it just isn't worth it to me. If it were half that I'd consider it but that's just too steep. Honestly, I just don't watch that much TV and since I watch next to nothing on the local channels, Tivoing something from a local station in HD OTA does nothing for me either.

I'll be shocked, yes, shocked, if DTV adds any significant HD channels (other than OTA) before the end of 2005. Nothing in their press release has indicated they will add any HD channels other than locals in 2005. Ok, I'm gonna guess they'll add a channel or two but ESPN2? Who really cares? Heck, ESPN can't show much HD, what's ESPN2 going to give me? Maybe one more game a week in HD. Vurbano, you've been one of the loudest complainers about ESPN's lack of HD. Now you're beating their drum over ESPN2. Tsk, tsk tsk...

Also, this announcement isn't going to put Voom out of business. Again, it's all about whether they get enough subscribers to survive. I highly doubt Voom is going to pull the plug after a few months of being in business. They've got deeper pockets than that. Heck, they still have deeper pockets than DTV if you factor in the owner (sure, they spun them off but they're still connected).

Voom isn't going to put DTV out of business either. I don't think that was ever a part of their business plan. Remember, there is certainly more than enough room to have more than one satellite provider.

I also still don't think having a DVR or not having one will keep anyone in business or put them out of business. Around here, we're more technically savy people who appreciate gadgets like DVRs. However, most of the general public still hasn't adopted DVRs altogether. I still have VERY few friends who use them. I also have very few friends who really know what they are! So, although a DVR would keep most of us around, it doesn't mean anything to the bulk of the customers out there.

And on that front, all of the doomsdayers are complaining about Voom going out of business and touting the TivoHD. Well, what about Tivo staying in business. I'd worry about them before I'd worry about Voom. Voom is just starting and they're losing money. Tivo has a long track record of losing money. At some point, the shareholders want to make money. Tivo has shown they can't come up with a plan to become profitable. This can only last so long. Why do you think DTV has been trying to break away from Tivo?

Anyway, again, I'm happy DTV has finally announced something. I'll be even happier if they actually provide something I want. They haven't done that yet and won't for a while.

The Rickster

vurbano said:
Again a month or two after April D* will have that first sat capacity up and running. Your 2 year statement is ridiculous.
Well, maybe you think its ridiculous, but I will be totally shocked if they are able to keep such an agressive timetable..

And, if some major event occurs, like Voom goes out of business, or goes on the Auction block, then they may feel less compelled to make these changes; or, in worst case scenario for Voomers, they Buy Voom, and somehow assimilate VOOMS infrastructure into theirs...

If Voom doesn't sign up alot more folks in the next 12 months, I truly feel that one of these scenarios will take place..After reading alot about their business model, their new executive team, and the way they are presenting themselves to Wall Street, its a pretty certain bet that the next 12 months are either going to move Voom forward, or they will no longer be around..Hopefully, this holiday season will see an explosion in HD TV sales, and Voom will be able to capture a large chunk of those new set owners as customers..I hope it doesnt get down to making the choice between Comcast cable and DTV..

wase4711 said:
between Comcast cable and DTV..

Oh a dark day this would be....

I kind of like the idea, if Voom can't make it, then they merge with E* I like Voom, and if it could live on in some form and still compete with Cable and D* to keep pushing HD, I'm all for it.

Just to add to silly assumptions going around.......it seems like most Voomers seem to think that if Voom gets a piece of the NFL-ST pie, that there will be a mass exodus from DTV to Voom. Please. Tell me you're not serious in thinking that. Why would the masses go to Voom? Another question. If Voom fails, why would Murdoch want to buy Voom? What would be the incentive? 30,000 more customers? Nah. If you're being honest with yourself, you need to come better than that. :no

this sounds like a microsoft press release - don't buy the other guy's stuff and use it now because in a couple of year's we plan to have the same thing....

Hmm...

Just to add to silly assumptions going around.......it seems like most Voomers seem to think that if Voom gets a piece of the NFL-ST pie, that there will be a mass exodus from DTV to Voom. Please. Tell me you're not serious in thinking that. Why would the masses go to Voom? Another question. If Voom fails, why would Murdoch want to buy Voom? What would be the incentive? 30,000 more customers? Nah. If you're being honest with yourself, you need to come better than that.

I don't think anyone has ever said there would be any exodus from DTV to Voom. What people are saying is, what is keeping quite a few people with DTV at all is NFL ST. If they can get it somewhere else they may be inclined to leave DTV and get it elsewhere.

And no, DTV wouldn't gain anything in buying Voom today. However, someone may be interested in purchasing their assets which would give someone access to the equipment to broadcast HD. It might be interesting for someone to purchase it if Voom were to fail. However, there we go again jumping to conclusions. Voom's only got 30,000 subscribers! They're not gonna make it! Maybe they do maybe they don't but it's tough to judge a company after only being in business for a few months--especially when you're trying to jump into a business already ruled by two other companies. If they're still sucking wind to get subscribers a year from now then I'd start to worry. But, until then, we just don't know...

The Rickster

DobyMax said:
Just to add to silly assumptions going around.......it seems like most Voomers seem to think that if Voom gets a piece of the NFL-ST pie, that there will be a mass exodus from DTV to Voom. Please. Tell me you're not serious in thinking that. Why would the masses go to Voom? Another question. If Voom fails, why would Murdoch want to buy Voom? What would be the incentive? 30,000 more customers? Nah. If you're being honest with yourself, you need to come better than that. :no

Yeah and you're being totally honest being 100% D* biased. It wouldn't make any sense for D* or E* to gain access to a satellite and broadcast equipment that's ready to go for HD? D* or E* wouldn't gain anything by having 35+ more HD channels right?

wase4711 said:
Well, maybe you think its ridiculous, but I will be totally shocked if they are able to keep such an agressive timetable..

And, if some major event occurs, like Voom goes out of business, or goes on the Auction block, then they may feel less compelled to make these changes; or, in worst case scenario for Voomers, they Buy Voom, and somehow assimilate VOOMS infrastructure into theirs...

If Voom doesn't sign up alot more folks in the next 12 months, I truly feel that one of these scenarios will take place..After reading alot about their business model, their new executive team, and the way they are presenting themselves to Wall Street, its a pretty certain bet that the next 12 months are either going to move Voom forward, or they will no longer be around..Hopefully, this holiday season will see an explosion in HD TV sales, and Voom will be able to capture a large chunk of those new set owners as customers..I hope it doesnt get down to making the choice between Comcast cable and DTV..
The problem with that explosion of TV sales is that the places that the majority of HD buyers will purchase their sets are places where D* has exclusive control over and those cusomers will probably sign up with 12 month D* contracts. Ie Voom loses Unless you think there is going to be some mad rush of HDTV buyers breaking down the doors of Sears? too funny.

Voom needs to run a special promotion and show a commerical. Also they could send out advertisement via US mail. I usually see Voom advertise in HT magazine, but they need to do more.

jimmykce1 said:
Voom needs to run a special promotion and show a commerical. Also they could send out advertisement via US mail. I usually see Voom advertise in HT magazine, but they need to do more.

I've seen a Voom infomercial on our local PAX station a couple of times. I've seen ad's for Voom in Soune & Vision and Home Theater mags. They're trying but when do you stop throwing good money after bad? IMHO the HDTV zealots have already have/had Voom and everyone else really isn't interested. If there was really that much interest the subscriber numbers wouldn't be looking the way they are.

2007 for all we know Voom could have over 200 channels HD

Voom has 41 channels HD as of September 2004, in just 11 months since inception. 2007 is at least 30 months away. I predict voom will have at least 150 channels HD if not 200. Voom will blow away D* always. We will always have the lead. Plus Voom will have the most powerful DVR on the market with multi room capabilities for sharing picturers, music , programs.

If voom was not going to be around ucentric would not invest all its R&D and spent time and effort in investing with voom to be its partner in the new DVR project.

I'm not waiting for anyone

As HD moves from early adopters to early mainstream, the battle for subs will heat up. Right now, I'm with V* because they have the best content at any price. If and when anyone else gets it together, I'll evaluate it and make the change decision then. Till then, I'm staying with V*

Just so most of you know that the value that Wall Street places on a cable subscription service is about $1500 ( and that is a figure from 8 years ago). VOOM also has an expensive satellite and HD production facilities. All worth in the millions. In total not as much as VOOM has lost but enough to make it attractive to prospective buyer. Anybody but Murdock.

Seawaves said:
and for all the rest of us know- Voom will not be around in 2007!
I hope you are wrong, but I dont think so either.

Dvlos said:
I think it will, no doubt about it. The overwhelming responses on this forum, the D* forum here, and AVS Forum, suggests that the main reason people think about leaving seems to be DVR, the main reason people don't leave D* or E* is lack of a DVR.

Aw heck with the DVR just go out to Wal-Mart and buy the 80G hard drive DVDR and be done with it! Just like Tivo without the subsciption!

vurbano said:
The problem with that explosion of TV sales is that the places that the majority of HD buyers will purchase their sets are places where D* has exclusive control over and those cusomers will probably sign up with 12 month D* contracts. Ie Voom loses Unless you think there is going to be some mad rush of HDTV buyers breaking down the doors of Sears? too funny.

You hit the nail on the head their Vurbano. How many Voomers went straight to Voom as soon as they bought their HDTV? I'd guess 10%. Most people had Dish or DirecTV and switched over. But if you build it, they will come....

Voom is trying. I'm in South Florida and they had a great special at BrandsMart, I think it was $300 off any HDTV when signing up for a year with Voom. Brandsmart is just as big as Best Buy down here but I don't think they have stores all over the country. I walked in one day and saw HDNews on a wall full of Plasma screens and I knew I was getting Voom.

I was told that people from Voom read this forum, so guys listen up!!

All it takes is one giant massive all cards on the table marketing war this holiday season. From Oct-Jan. Voom commercials during Monday night football, during big prime time TV shows, bring back the $0 install special, and of course a killer deal on the whole house DVR. The one time of the year where people are looking for something to spend money on. Plus all of the people that got HDTV's for Christmas last year, guess what, their 12 month commitment is coming up in Dec :yes

And this is the killer. During the NCAA Championship bowl week. Imagine Voom running an add like this....
"Will you be watching the Super Bowl in HD this year?, you will if you call Voom now......Call by Jan 15th and you are guaranteed free installation by Super Bowl Sunday"
Watch how many Voom dishes you see pop up around you.

Voom if you use that Super Bowl slogan I expect a check. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)