Directv to shift away from Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dish has never seemed to make capturing commercial customers a priority.

Just as well, because these places want sports, including the Sunday Ticket. And they can only get that from DTV.
That is true, alot of bars, and sports bars in particular think they have to have sunday ticket, and in some cases, it is a big draw.

That said, I am good friends with the owner of our local sports bar. He had directv and sunday ticket the first two years he was open, and without fail, people would come in wanting to watch the Saints or the Falcons, and not much else. With the cost that they charge a bar to carry the package, on top of the increased price of just the sat service itself, he finally dropped it and went to Dish. He has not seen a decline in customers. With whats available on Locals and the various ESPN networks and regionals, he has the vast majority of it covered.

That is true, alot of bars, and sports bars in particular think they have to have sunday ticket, and in some cases, it is a big draw.

That said, I am good friends with the owner of our local sports bar. He had directv and sunday ticket the first two years he was open, and without fail, people would come in wanting to watch the Saints or the Falcons, and not much else. With the cost that they charge a bar to carry the package, on top of the increased price of just the sat service itself, he finally dropped it and went to Dish. He has not seen a decline in customers. With whats available on Locals and the various ESPN networks and regionals, he has the vast majority of it covered.
That works in some situations ... if he had people coming in to see Out of Market teams and dropped the servicie, I'm sure he lost those ...
A bar around here does the same thing, but I'm pretty sure that the owner is a Fan of one of those OOM teams, therefore he will keep the Ticket at the bar.

Reactions: Pere845
Could another way of looking at this is they would make OTT their primary TV service but let current DTV customers still stay on DTV as long as they want to since they would still want to have DTV in the rural areas? Then the question would be would they continue to upgrade DTV buy having the latest boxes and interface? The latest interface could be done by putting the DTV NOW interface on DTV since it looks like they want to have the same servers for DTV and DTV NOW.

The problem with OTT . Do customers actually think it’s going to stay low priced forever. The big players are like drug dealers the first hit is free . I can remember when cable came to town my uncle said that people are going to pay for free Tv . He said when that happens it’s all over.

The problem with OTT . Do customers actually think it’s going to stay low priced forever. The big players are like drug dealers the first hit is free . I can remember when cable came to town my uncle said that people are going to pay for free Tv . He said when that happens it’s all over.
Much like I've been saying ... that Intro price is just that and the INTERNET rates will be rising from here on out as well.

Now instead of a Sat company or Cable company raising prices once a year, you have the OTT company raising package prices AND the Internet company saying, hey, we need to raise our prices to keep in line as well, so know you have 2 companies you need raising prices.

It WILL happen.

Could another way of looking at this is they would make OTT their primary TV service but let current DTV customers still stay on DTV as long as they want to since they would still want to have DTV in the rural areas? Then the question would be would they continue to upgrade DTV buy having the latest boxes and interface? The latest interface could be done by putting the DTV NOW interface on DTV since it looks like they want to have the same servers for DTV and DTV NOW.
I wonder why it is that current D* subs don't get DS* Now free, seeing its pretty much the same, with just a different layout.

I'd like to play with it, just to see how it works, I've seen it a few times doing installs, but thats not the same as going thru it personally.

I could probably give advice to my subs if they gave it to me to use.

If I have D* and the Sunday Ticket, I can also pull up the ST on my Roku ... I think I can use the Roku without having to pay for it again .... I think. Although my D* user and password did not get it to work for me.

This would be the same as having D* and D* Now.

I agree, I am content with Red Zone coverage but My mother and brother being Houston and Los Angeles fans respectively, had to have AT&T Southwest and Spectrum Sports and myself being a Sooners fan I had to have the Full-time fox sports Oklahoma feed.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Much like I've been saying ... that Intro price is just that and the INTERNET rates will be rising from here on out as well.

Now instead of a Sat company or Cable company raising prices once a year, you have the OTT company raising package prices AND the Internet company saying, hey, we need to raise our prices to keep in line as well, so know you have 2 companies you need raising prices.

It WILL happen.
I don't think anyone is under any illusion that OTT prices and internet prices won't go up. Just like sat or cable.

It's just how it works.

Still, the gap between what I pay for OTT and what I paid for sat is considerable. I was paying the same price for internet either way, although I know for some this may not be the case with bundles.

When OTT gets to a point where I don't think it's worth it, I'll do like I did with sat and just cancel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8
I will add this.

We had specific channels that we "had to have" as a family before as well.

At this point though, I really don't feel like we are missing anything with what we lost. My wife, myself, and our child were really surprised at how little we watched on some of those must haves.

I agree, I am content with Red Zone coverage but My mother and brother being Houston and Los Angeles fans respectively, had to have AT&T Southwest and Spectrum Sports and myself being a Sooners fan I had to have the Full-time fox sports Oklahoma feed.
College Sports is basically the thing that keeps me on any sort of pay tv period.

True, which is why we switched to DirecTV. sadly Dish falls short when it comes to sports

Take another look at DISH, they don't fall short for most subscribers. Sunday Ticket of course, yes. But there are tons of people however who want Red Zone over Ticket that DISH makes easy to get even if they had a choice to pay the money for Ticket They have at least as much or more College sports. They still don't carry the NY city RSN's and one or two others but that only affects those in that market.

T
Take another look at DISH, they don't fall short for most subscribers. Sunday Ticket of course, yes. But there are tons of people however who want Red Zone over Ticket that DISH makes easy to get even if they had a choice to pay the money for Ticket They have at least as much or more College sports. They still don't carry the NY city RSN's and one or two others but that only affects those in that market.
Yes Red Zone is great but when you are missing NYC, half of LA, Houston , New England, and Philly, then I find it hard to believe that Dish doesn't fall short.

A problem I see with this is DTV canceling new satellites and the current fleet has a finite lifespan. I'm not up on current in orbit spares, but if DTV needs a replacement satellite it takes a year or more to build and launch one. And at tremendous cost.

My opinion is ATT will connect most of the country in the next 5yrs via a combination of DSL over copper, fiber and 5G and eventually pull the plug on satellite delivery. That's simply my opinion but based on some things I've seen while working there and picking up bits and pieces from employees. I think ATT likes the Netflix model with no satellites, no warehouses full of receivers, no installers, etc, and they can cut a lot of costs and retain a majority of the customer base.

T

Yes Red Zone is great but when you are missing NYC, half of LA, Houston , New England, and Philly, then I find it hard to believe that Dish doesn't fall short.

They aren't missing New England, one team. Philly? Do you mean the same one Directv does not have? LA, Directv also missing Dodgers?
When you get to the details they are not missing as much when you see what Directv also does not have, and when you realize they are not missing all of New England for example. So yes they have a few less RSN's but taken as a whole they are not "sadly" behind.
Also when talking about sports, taking the focus off Pro and looking at College DISH looks very good.

Reactions: pattykay
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)