Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This summer DIRECTV will be rolling out its TV Anywhere (GenieGO) using a built in server that is built into many of its newer receivers. Here is information that SatelliteGuys has receiver about this exciting new rollout from DIRECTV!

So here we go with the information that was sent to us. Note this will be a slow rollout... so we have no idea when you will get it. So please don't ask. :D

---

One of our key focuses this year is to meet our customers’ desire to take their DIRECTV service with them wherever they go, and you may have seen some of our videos and other communications talking about the features available through the DIRECTV mobile app. In the near future, we’ll take an evolutionary leap forward by turning customers’ mobile devices into another Genie client: Using the DIRECTV app on their smartphones and tablets, they’ll be able to remotely watch whatever they’d be able to watch on their TV at home, including their DVR content!

Earlier this year, we halted sales of GenieGO in preparation for a next-generation solution, and that service will soon be launched to customers. This great new capability will be available at no extra charge and will unite and enhance several key TV Everywhere features. Without any additional hardware, the DIRECTV app will enable customers’ mobile devices to act just like another Genie client, allowing subscribers to:
  • Live-stream all channels from their programming package anywhere
  • Stream or download HD or SD recorded content from their programming package from their Genie HD-DVR to take with them
  • Watch DIRECTV content as soon as they order service (previously known as “Walk Out Watching”)
  • Stream thousands of shows and movies on-demand for free
Please note that this capability will be initially launched as a field trial via software download, and there will be outreach to customers about it.

What do customers need?
  1. A broadband-connected HR44 (or H44+HDD) or higher — but no other DIRECTV hardware.These great features will be made available via a software download and will be powered by the Genie server, not any external equipment. No more port-forwarding!
  2. A compatible mobile device with the DIRECTV mobile app installed. Supported devices include iPads (iPad 2 or newer), iPhones (iPhone 4 or newer) and Android mobile phones and tablets.
  3. A directv.com login and password. This can be easily set up as soon as someone signs up for DIRECTV service!
Mobile DVR incorporates the best features of GenieGO technology, including transcoding capability and enhanced networking technology, in the Advanced Genie DVR. When used together with the DIRECTV App, our customers can use their mobile devices like a wireless client to experience their content in and out of the home. And, the Advanced Genie DVR is simpler to install!

Advanced Genie DVRs include:
  • HR44
  • H44 with external hard drive
  • HR54
Mobile DVR offers all of GenieGO’s favorite features including:
  • In-Home streaming
  • Out-of-Home streaming
  • Auto Prepare – allows customers to download programming to their mobile device without waiting for transcoding
  • Use the DIRECTV app to watch content recorded on the Advanced Genie DVR and manage all of their favorite entertainment choices
  • Simplified registration of customer mobile devices
Additional Information:
  • There can only be one Mobile DVR/GenieGO stream (either DVR streaming or live streaming) in progress at any given time.
  • GenieGO streaming cannot happen while picture-in-picture or DoublePlay is active.
  • 3D, PPV and On Demand content is not streamable via the Mobile DVR/GenieGO — but may be available via other features on the app. If the titles are not Streamable, the Watch on Table/Phone button will be disabled from the program details screen.
  • Some channels and programming are not available for streaming due to specific contractual agreements with content providers. Titles that are not streamable will not populate within the Live TV guide or Live TV Streaming carousel.
  • Due to contractual obligation, downloaded Disney content is restricted to one download to one client per account for 60 days. This applies to all Disney channels.
The DIRECTV App replaces the stand-alone GenieGO App, which is no longer supported. Customers who have – and choose to keep – the external GenieGO can now use the DIRECTV app to manage this device as well.

The DIRECTV Mobile App works with:

• iOS — version 9.0 or higher
  • Android — version 4.0 or higher
Once a device is activated, the DIRECTV Mobile App provides all previous external GenieGO device functionality — plus Auto Prepare — without the external GenieGO device.

And there you have it. Thanks for being SatelliteGuys Members and for making SatelliteGuys your DIRECTV Information Home. :)

Thanks for the info.

As per usual, it'll take some content providers (looking at you, DIS!) some time to come kicking and screaming to the future.

Thanks for the info.

As per usual, it'll take some content providers (looking at you, DIS!) some time to come kicking and screaming to the future.
some content providers would prefer you pay them for ability to stream

So is this going to be used instead for bad weather backup instead of that rumor about using UVerseTV for that? I know it said stream all channels but does that also include all local channels in all markets? Also what about using Windows 10 PC's for this? I wonder if the channels will be in 720p and 1080i? Thanks.

So is this going to be used instead for bad weather backup instead of that rumor about using UVerseTV for that? I know it said stream all channels but does that also include all local channels in all markets? Also what about using Windows 10 PC's for this? I wonder if the channels will be in 720p and 1080i? Thanks.

No. This is for watching your programming from your receiver from a remote, like using a Slingbox, but the Slingbox is built into some of the receivers.

And that's the way it should be! People complain like there's no tomorrow over the cost of 'evil' sports that 'no one' watches. Well I for one have no desire to watch anything on a tiny 6" phone screen or 10" tablet screen. Disney, News Corp, NBC U and the rest aren't investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in servers and streaming infrastructure to get nothing in return. Every time contract's come up between content providers and MSOs, negotiations of streaming rights are a part of that and cause increases. I'd be willing to save $5 a month and have no access to any of that stuff.

I bought the GenieGo when it first came out before the Genie branding when it was called the Nomad. I wasn't really impressed. The quality was awful. It was on par with SD YouTube on my phone and using the GenioGo PC application on my laptop, my recordings were close to unwatchable

No its like a new version of the GenieGo is built in to some receivers.. and instead of using the GenieGo app you use the DIRECTV app.

No. This is for watching your programming from your receiver from a remote, like using a Slingbox, but the Slingbox is built into some of the receivers.

That is what I was thinking, kinda like the Hopper with Sling. Great for say, being on a road trip while your favorite football team might be playing (watching on phone or tablet).

Reactions: dishrich
Paying a provider directly for the ability to stream has never been the issue, at least not for me, in watching this business over the past 10 - 15 years.

The issue is in the way in which a content provider wants to treat their content -- that you're paying for -- with what amounts to absolutely draconian measures of the data.

For example, why would Disney require a 60-day waiting period when downloading content from one device to another? Here's a news flash -- when we pay for programming to be recorded to our Genie DVRs, it's been paid for. When that same content is being further restricted when viewed from DVR to another device (on the same account, no less), that is simply nonsensical greed (quite honestly) coming into play. In other words, I've already paid for the right to see the content. Why are there further restrictions being placed on the same content I've just bought? And by the time the content actually gets to a screen to be consumed, we're no longer relying upon, say, DIS' infrastructure to see that content; for me, it's now being carried either over T LTE or Comcast Xfinity internet.

This is precisely the same greed with which AT&T treats the "unlimited" data plans with respect to the Personal Hotspot function of one's iPhone. I've paid for the data; why is that data being further constrained with how I actually use it? (In this case, I know the business case is that they want more devices for which they can charge to be accessing their data; a hotspot takes away the need to charge for certain devices)

The bottom line is that greed still rules some companies, and I speak as a shareholder in both AT&T and DIS.

If I'm paying for data or content, then let me use that data or content in whatever personal way I'd like.

Based on my rant about DIS, and based on what others have said about streaming, I'm not sure we've adequately covered exactly what type of streaming is going on here.

The OP (I interpreted) is talking about taking content that would otherwise be landed on a Genie DVR and instead landing it on another device (registered by way of username/password) on the same DirecTV account. Alternatively, taking already-landed content from a Genie DVR and instead watching that content on a final destination device. And all of this has to do with DirecTV's app.

So, who's actually handling the streaming here? It sounds like DirecTV via their facilities. Is this correct?

That's what it says in the first message.

I haven't played with it myself so just passing along what I have received from DIRECTV.

That's what it says in the first message.
I haven't played with it myself so just passing along what I have received from DIRECTV.
Scott, I don't how you keep doing all this...I SWEAR some people here can't read simple English.
You've all but spelled it out to the 9's, & some of the responses you got are...baffling, to say the least.
You've said "Slingbox" twice & still....WOW!

(...used instead for bad weather backup instead of that rumor about using UVerseTV for that...)
WTF..like comparing apples & steak...

Reactions: Troch77
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)