DIRECTV TV Anywhere is coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Awaiting my DIRECTV installation on Tuesday, switching from DISH to save money. D* adding Mobile DVR/TV Anywhere was a big selling point to finally get me to switch.

My question to those who have the new functionality working is about streaming the home-only channels in the app.

For example, NFL Network can only be streamed from the server to your mobile devices when you are on your home network (as indicated by the symbol next to the channel not having a "+" next to it). With TV Anywhere, can you stream NFL Network outside the home now from your receiver (instead of the server)?

If not, could you DVR a game on NFL Network and just watch it slightly delayed using Mobile DVR? (NFL Network is just an example, this applies to several other channels as well)

I have to work on some game days in the fall so this is an important point of clarification for me :)

Awaiting my DIRECTV installation on Tuesday, switching from DISH to save money. D* adding Mobile DVR/TV Anywhere was a big selling point to finally get me to switch.

My question to those who have the new functionality working is about streaming the home-only channels in the app.

For example, NFL Network can only be streamed from the server to your mobile devices when you are on your home network (as indicated by the symbol next to the channel not having a "+" next to it). With TV Anywhere, can you stream NFL Network outside the home now from your receiver (instead of the server)?

If not, could you DVR a game on NFL Network and just watch it slightly delayed using Mobile DVR? (NFL Network is just an example, this applies to several other channels as well)

I have to work on some game days in the fall so this is an important point of clarification for me :)

I turned off WiFi on my iPhone and was able to watch NFL network.

Reactions: kevincburns
I pulled the plug on my Genie Go box this weekend and followed suit using the TRANSC0DEON keyword search to enable the internal option on the HR44.
I tried both live and recorded streaming to my cell without wifi and it worked great. I think they are finally getting close with this product, what it should have been 2 years ago.

I do have the Mobile DVR service on my account as I had the GenieGo prior, so it worked perfectly. My guess is if one didn't have the GenieGo previously they may need to wait until launch.
I'll have to try it out a bit more over a month or two, but it looks like the capability is finally enough that I could retire my slingbox.

From Directv.com/mobiledvr:
Mobile DVR is currently only available to residents of Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. If you don’t live in one of these areas and you’re excited for Mobile DVR, the Mobile DVR program is expanding and will most likely be coming to your area soon.

Last edited:
I pulled the plug on my Genie Go box this weekend and followed suit using the TRANSC0DEON keyword search to enable the internal option on the HR44.
I tried both live and recorded streaming to my cell without wifi and it worked great. I think they are finally getting close with this product, what it should have been 2 years ago.

I do have the Mobile DVR service on my account as I had the GenieGo prior, so it worked perfectly. My guess is if one didn't have the GenieGo previously they may need to wait until launch.
I'll have to try it out a bit more over a month or two, but it looks like the capability is finally enough that I could retire my slingbox.

Mobile DVR is currently only available to residents of Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. If you don’t live in one of these areas and you’re excited for Mobile DVR, the Mobile DVR program is expanding and will most likely be coming to your area soon.

This TRANSC0DEON trick is not working for me :-( I do have the latest software on my HR44.

This TRANSC0DEON trick is not working for me :-( I do have the latest software on my HR44.

Oh, but I am in Florida.

Ok, it kinds of works now the DirecTV app says that it found a new GenieGo and it asks me to confirm that I want to use my new GenieGo device, I click "Ok" and everything seems to work, however when I go to System Info on the app, it says that "Out of home is not setup" I tried connecting from outside my Wi-Fi to test remote watching and it cannot find the GenieGo hmm, any ideas guys? I don't believe it's port forwarding because supposedly this does not require any port forwarding right?

Depending on how well your router is cooperating with the receiver (PNP), you may need to setup port forwarding. I set it up on mine just to eliminate it as a break in the chain.

The default ports to forward are 8082 and 8083.

Ok, it kinds of works now the DirecTV app says that it found a new GenieGo and it asks me to confirm that I want to use my new GenieGo device, I click "Ok" and everything seems to work, however when I go to System Info on the app, it says that "Out of home is not setup" I tried connecting from outside my Wi-Fi to test remote watching and it cannot find the GenieGo hmm, any ideas guys? I don't believe it's port forwarding because supposedly this does not require any port forwarding right?
So did you run the set up out of home access while you were on your home WiFi network? What happens when you do that?

D* installed yesterday. After everything got downloaded and settled, I was able to set up and run Mobile DVR/TV Anywhere in my app and I'm in Oklahoma. So maybe the rollout is continuing beyond the initial markets in the D* FAQ.

Note: It's showing up correctly on my phone (can stream all channels, watch DVR programs) but not through the website (can't watch DVRed programs or any of the non-streaming channels on my laptop).

D* installed yesterday. After everything got downloaded and settled, I was able to set up and run Mobile DVR/TV Anywhere in my app and I'm in Oklahoma. So maybe the rollout is continuing beyond the initial markets in the D* FAQ.

Note: It's showing up correctly on my phone (can stream all channels, watch DVR programs) but not through the website (can't watch DVRed programs or any of the non-streaming channels on my laptop).
You can try downloading the old GenieGo app from https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3495 so you can at least watch recorded shows, but not sure if it works with the software GenieGO in the Genie's.

So did you run the set up out of home access while you were on your home WiFi network? What happens when you do that?

It never asked me to run that setup nor do I see anywhere to run it, where am I supposed to find it?

On my iPhone is't under Settings & Help, then Mobile DVR then Out-of-Home Access.

Thanks I saw that at some point, but now it's no longer there, anyway I'm not too crazy about this, if I need to watch remotely I'll just reconnect my old external GenieGo till this becomes official, not gonna go crazy about it lol, thanks a lot for your help though, I really appreciate it.

Has anyone been using the mobile DVR service much? Is there a list anywhere of what channels' shows can be downloaded for offline viewing?

Can anyone provide some feedback on whether the Mobile DVR function limits what channels or shows you can download for offline viewing? My wife and I use similar functionality with our Tivo currently, and it would be a shame if we are limited in what we can watch away from home.

Can anyone provide some feedback on whether the Mobile DVR function limits what channels or shows you can download for offline viewing? My wife and I use similar functionality with our Tivo currently, and it would be a shame if we are limited in what we can watch away from home.
You have to understand your not getting much as its only being tested in 3 markets right now.....I will assume in time it will expand?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)