DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What about his post is wrong? Do you think you're helping or contributing to what you're complaining about?

I mean... you're complaining about active discussion on a discussion forum. If there was a problem there are multiple mods participating that I presume would step in (and have).
I've been out of this thread for awhile now, I come back to see if anything is NEW, Like actual News about the ST ...
Nope, same people going round and round.
Use to be a Great place to come and get news ...

Except, the Local game isn't on the ST.

Not everyone is a big fan of a certain team, they might follow multiple teams or be more of an overall fan (i.e. the kind of people who care more about their fantasy football team than who wins the Super Bowl)

Those more casual fans are a good sized chunk of viewership, and while will watch the locally broadcast games if that's all that's available to them (because some of their fantasy players will be in those games) if they had the option to watch NFLST for dirt cheap they'd probably do that - they could switch around to multiple games and not care that they don't get to see the locally broadcast ones.

Reactions: Jimbo
Not everyone is a big fan of a certain team, they might follow multiple teams or be more of an overall fan (i.e. the kind of people who care more about their fantasy football team than who wins the Super Bowl)

Those more casual fans are a good sized chunk of viewership, and while will watch the locally broadcast games if that's all that's available to them (because some of their fantasy players will be in those games) if they had the option to watch NFLST for dirt cheap they'd probably do that - they could switch around to multiple games and not care that they don't get to see the locally broadcast ones.
If you pay 3 billion for sunday ticket..how many $6 subs do you have to sell to break even...lets make it $30...aint gonna happen

Reactions: SamCdbs
Again, you continue to use this useless point to reassure yourself rather than actually say anything of meaning in this thread. It's nonsensical and largely serves to forfeit the bulk of everything else (over and over and over again) you say on the topic.

'they can see the sky so if they wanted Sunday Ticket they would have it'

No, not really. I will be happy to pay $300/mo for Sunday Ticket when it isn't attached to thousands of dollars per year in other obligations. I am far from alone. It will cost a fraction of what I have saved and continue to save at this point.
Well, that WILL NOT HAPPEN. As has been established, ST is not capable of being profitable on a cash basis. Facts, not opinion. Thus, its only value is as an exclusive upon which access is predicated upon buying something else first. So next you you WILL have to first buy hundreds of dollars of other material to get access. And people too cheap to pay for DirecTV, are too cheap to pay for whatever comes next as well.

But, of course, no one has answered my question. Because they cannot. Back before streaming, when it was just DirecTV, cable, Dish or do without, ST had the same, about 2M subscribers. There was not the “hundreds of dollars of unwanted stuff”. There were 3 ways of getting TV, and there you go. Yet, just 2M subscribers.

Because that is how many people want it.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
I've been out of this thread for awhile now, I come back to see if anything is NEW, Like actual News about the ST ...
Nope, same people going round and round.
Use to be a Great place to come and get news ...
In this case, no news IS NEWS.

The NFL has gone for more and more and more money in every TV deal. It appears it may finally be coming to the end of that streak.

Because ST cannot make money on a cash basis the business model has been as a subscription driver. Recently pundits have been saying (correctly IMHO) that the “golden age of streaming” is over. So, unlike the hugely profitable DirecTV of the past, you have two money losing streaming services realizing that billions to get a few more subscribers isn’t worth it. Because the “how do we actually make money at this” vis streaming remains unanswered. The childlike faith that someday it just is automatically going to make a profit, begs the question of “how”. Exactly what does streaming need to go to actually make money that it isn’t doing now. That answer seems to be “cut content spending and sell more reruns”. ST is the opposite.

Well, that WILL NOT HAPPEN. As has been established, ST is not capable of being profitable on a cash basis. Facts, not opinion. Thus, its only value is as an exclusive upon which access is predicated upon buying something else first. So next you you WILL have to first buy hundreds of dollars of other material to get access.
NFLST has never been outside the DirecTV bubble, so no one knows how well it would of done if everyone (Cable, Satellite) was able to provide it, we are about to find out how well it will do.

And people too cheap to pay for DirecTV, are too cheap to pay for whatever comes next as well.
There you go with the insults again, it is not because I was too cheap, it is because I found no value in a overpriced service, the pricing is even worse now as they are trying to get as much $$$ as they can before there are not enough customers left to make a profit.
But, of course, no one has answered my question. Because they cannot. Back before streaming, when it was just DirecTV, cable, Dish or do without, ST had the same, about 2M subscribers. There was not the “hundreds of dollars of unwanted stuff”. There were 3 ways of getting TV, and there you go. Yet, just 2M subscribers.

Or it was just because the majority did not want DirecTV as it has been since DirecTV started business.

Even at their highest sub numbers, they still only had 18% of Households as subscribers.

Even now, an icky service like Comcast has a lot more video subscribers then DirecTV, why is that?

Cannot be the pricing, Comcast is way too much since it charges that Broadcast Channels fee on top of the advertised monthly charge.

In other words, you cannot answer the question. Anyone who wanted ST before streaming was a thing got DirecTV and got ST. Everyone. A known number. There was literally no one siting around saying “gosh, I really want ST, but mean ole DirecTV…”. People that want it, have it.

Im sorry, but EVERY analyst of this industry understands this package cannot make a profit. That just is what it is. It is how this industry works.

In other words, you cannot answer the question. Anyone who wanted ST before streaming was a thing got DirecTV and got ST. Everyone. A known number. There was literally no one siting around saying “gosh, I really want ST, but mean ole DirecTV…”. People that want it, have it.

Im sorry, but EVERY analyst of this industry understands this package cannot make a profit. That just is what it is. It is how this industry works.
The NFL wanted sunday ticket limited to directv...they never wanted a wider audience.....I think fewer people are going to purchase the streaming version because fewer people watch the streaming version of TNF

NFLST has never been outside the DirecTV bubble, so no one knows how well it would of done if everyone (Cable, Satellite) was able to provide it, we are about to find out how well it will do.

There you go with the insults again, it is not because I was too cheap, it is because I found no value in a overpriced service, the pricing is even worse now as they are trying to get as much $$$ as they can before there are not enough customers left to make a profit.

Or it was just because the majority did not want DirecTV as it has been since DirecTV started business.

Even at their highest sub numbers, they still only had 18% of Households as subscribers.

Even now, an icky service like Comcast has a lot more video subscribers then DirecTV, why is that?

Cannot be the pricing, Comcast is way too much since it charges that Broadcast Channels fee on top of the advertised monthly charge.
Using your logic..TNF football ratings should have increased because they switched to streaming...yet they dropped to half what cable/ satellite had....maybe streamers are not into sports but old people with cable/ satellite are

Reactions: AZ.
In other words, you cannot answer the question. Anyone who wanted ST before streaming was a thing got DirecTV and got ST. Everyone. A known number.
No, I said they did not want DirecTV Satellite, which is true, cannot dispute the numbers, a service that is nationwide, yet now only has 8% of Households.

Yet, a awful service like Comcast, which is not nationwide, has 5 million more video subs.

True.

You cannot answer that.
There was literally no one siting around saying “gosh, I really want ST, but mean ole DirecTV…”. People that want it, have it.
Been disproved many times in this thread.

True.

Cannot dispute.
Let us see what the final contract will be.

True.

No, I said they did not want DirecTV Satellite, which is true, cannot dispute the numbers, a service that is nationwide, yet now only has 8% of Households.

Yet, a awful service like Comcast, which is not nationwide, has 5 million more video subs.

True.

You cannot answer that.

Been disproved many times in this thread.

True.

Cannot dispute.

Let us see what the final contract will be.

True.
The NFL only cares about the NFL..they dont care if the provider makes a profit..either pay their price or pound salt

Well, that WILL NOT HAPPEN. As has been established, ST is not capable of being profitable on a cash basis. Facts, not opinion. Thus, its only value is as an exclusive upon which access is predicated upon buying something else first. So next you you WILL have to first buy hundreds of dollars of other material to get access. And people too cheap to pay for DirecTV, are too cheap to pay for whatever comes next as well.

I already have YouTubeTV, Apple TV and Amazon Prime. So no, it's likely I won't need to buy anything given current expectations, I am saving thousands per year (cute how you changed that to hundreds) not having DirecTV, and adding NFLST for $300 is almost a rounding error compared to the money I've saved and continue to save.

Yet you continue to parrot this nonsense, to reassure yourself it seems. I'm not too cheap (nice personal attack slid in there), I am just not willing to pay for service not worth the money - which is DirecTV, and I don't value the NFL ST package personally as being worth over $3000 per year for my single subscription. But guess what, there ARE people that are too cheap, and they don't have DirecTV and want Sunday Ticket if it were available paired with a cheaper service. So again, in your quest to insult us as you reply you even provide another example where your absolutist statements are wrong. :oldlaugh

I already have YouTubeTV, Apple TV and Amazon Prime. So no, it's likely I won't need to buy anything given current expectations, I am saving thousands per year (cute how you changed that to hundreds) not having DirecTV, and adding NFLST for $300 is almost a rounding error compared to the money I've saved and continue to save.

Yet you continue to parrot this nonsense, to reassure yourself it seems. I'm not too cheap (nice personal attack slid in there), I am just not willing to pay for service not worth the money - which is DirecTV, and I don't value the NFL ST package personally as being worth over $3000 per year for my single subscription. But guess what, there ARE people that are too cheap, and they don't have DirecTV and want Sunday Ticket if it were available paired with a cheaper service. So again, in your quest to insult us as you reply you even provide another example where your absolutist statements are wrong. :oldlaugh
You are saving thousands because you aren't paying for a channel package bloated with sports....If you want sports you get cable/ satellite

You are saving thousands because you aren't paying for a channel package bloated with sports....If you want sports you get cable/ satellite

I am getting all the sports I want, just missing Sunday Ticket.

I want the NFL, but I don't want to pay over $3000 a year for Sunday Ticket, not hard to understand, for most anyways.

What DirecTV is bloated with more than anything is fees. The fees if I had DirecTV would likely rival just the cost of my base package on YouTubeTV.

The only sports YTTV does not have is the local RSN, which does not seem to stop the growth of subscribers to it’s service, already at 5 million and growing.

Also no RSN Fee, so no extra $11-15.00 put on top of your monthly bill like DirecTV, Comcast, etc.

The only sports YTTV does not have is the local RSN, which does not seem to stop the growth of subscribers to it’s service, already at 5 million and growing.

Also no RSN Fee, so no extra $11-15.00 put on top of your monthly bill like DirecTV, Comcast, etc.
Thats the one that carries local hockey,basketball and baseball...what most sports fans want to watch..casual fans won't really care

Not only that, but for $11.99 /mo I can add a sports bundle that includes NFL Red Zone on YTTV for a few months (or less than $6.60/mo if I pay annually). Not an option on DirecTV, must buy Sunday Ticket, and not available in any form on DirecTV Stream.

Thats the one that carries local hockey,basketball and baseball...what most sports fans want to watch..casual fans won't really care
And again, YTTV is gaining subs, already at half what DirecTV Satellite is in it’s short lifespan.

DirecTV has them, charges extra and has lost about 11 million subs in 7 years and still losing about 400,000-500,000 subs every quarter.

Dish does not have them and it’s rate of loss is not as high as DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.