DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Loved my c-band dish. If you had one subscription, then you got all of the sportschannels in fixed key, IOW for free. It was great for baseball since many teams were on sportschannels.

Other than the article I posted earlier from PFT about Apple being out of the ST talk now ... HGas anyone seen it reported any where else ? Is this a Done deal ?

I would have thought that it would have been reported all over the place, not just 1 outlet.
Sports Business Journal reported it. It is pretty clear Apple just could not make the numbers work for what the NFL had left to sell.

John Ourand , who is right about 75% of the time, in Sports Business Journal says that Amazon will get ST. He also makes the following other predictions:

- Disney and Turner will let the exclusive period for a deal with the NBA expire.
- NASCAR renews with Fox and NBC, with more races on Peacock.
- Fox gets a share of the (unnecessary IMHO) expanded college football playoffs, in a short term deal until the whole package is again up for the 27 season.
- Amazon will get the Pac 12 rights and then sub license some games to CBS.
- Apple will make a deal with something called the National Women’s Soccer League.
- ESPN renews the UFC.
- The outlaw Saudi backed LIV golf tour will make a time buy to get its tournaments on the CW network.
- Netflix remains out of the sports business.
- DirecTV renews the Bally’s channels.
- Tom Brady plays football or is put in a lesser Fox broadcast team, the current #1 team reamains.

Comments:

Amazon is the better partner for ST, and it will be predicated, of course. DirecTV will, as with TNF, made a side deal for the commercial rights.

Don’t care about the NBA.

Amazon getting the Pac 12 is pretty sad. I have Prime anyway, but to pay for a football conference of no real relevance nationally is part of the creep towards re bundling that streaming is heading to.

The NWSL is truly sad news. Bundling in a soccer league that almost no one watches? Gross.

The big ones, and I agree with JO, are that Netflix stays out of sports, and it is smart to do so, and DirecTV remains the go to for sports lovers and sports bars, with the Ballys channels (and ST).
I can see NASCAR losing money on the next deal as ratings have fallen.
Fox won't get a CFB playoff as ESPN won't give that up.
Brady is owed a lot of money by Fox so he will be the A team. Rumors that he retires after this season.

John Ourand , who is right about 75% of the time, in Sports Business Journal says that Amazon will get ST.
I have been saying that was a good fit for awhile now, never thought it should go to Apple, not a good fit for YTTV either.
He also makes the following other predictions:

- Disney and Turner will let the exclusive period for a deal with the NBA expire.
I expect Apple to make a bid for the NBA.
- Amazon will get the Pac 12 rights and then sub license some games to CBS.
I wonder if that would change if Amazon gets ST.
- Apple will make a deal with something called the National Women’s Soccer League.
Yech.
- ESPN renews the UFC.
ESPN needs content since somethings are leaving them ( Big Ten for example), UFC is still cheap for the rights.
- The outlaw Saudi backed LIV golf tour will make a time buy to get its tournaments on the CW network.
CW has been sold and seems to be getting rid of their scripted content, one way of making money is a deal like this, will not get good ratings no matter what.
- Netflix remains out of the sports business.
Good, not a fit anyways.
- DirecTV renews the Bally’s channels.
The Bally named RSNs are about to go into bankruptcy since the leagues have decided not to bail them out-

- Tom Brady plays football or is put in a lesser Fox broadcast team, the current #1 team reamains.
He will be on the Main Broadcast team unless he really sucks, based on what they will be paying him.

So if the RSNs go dark they leagues don’t get paid. This could collapse everything.
The RSNs were due for a collapse, overpaying for rights and a loss of per sub fees since so many have left Paid Live TV.

The addition of Live TV Services like YTTV and Hulu does not help since they do not carry the RSNs, Dish dropped them awhile ago.

Based on that, it looks like only 50 Million Households pay the per sub fee, just 8 years ago, 100 Million paid it.

This is a problem ESPN will be having in a couple of years, which is why they will change ESPN+ to ESPN and raise the price, so they can make back some of the per sub fees back from those who left.

They have been already adding more ESPN Content to plus, for example, tonight’s MNF game is on plus also.

The RSNs were due for a collapse, overpaying for rights and a loss of per sub fees since so many have left Paid Live TV.

The addition of Live TV Services like YTTV and Hulu does not help since they do not carry the RSNs, Dish dropped them awhile ago.

Based on that, it looks like only 50 Million Households pay the per sub fee, just 8 years ago, 100 Million paid it.

This is a problem ESPN will be having in a couple of years, which is why they will change ESPN+ to ESPN and raise the price, so they can make back some of the per sub fees back from those who left.

They have been already adding more ESPN Content to plus, for example, tonight’s MNF game is on plus also.
The problem for the teams is they have long term player contracts based on the money guaranteed from the RSNs. If that dries up the teams are in a bind.

The problem for the teams is they have long term player contracts based on the money guaranteed from the RSNs. If that dries up the teams are in a bind.
Correct, the bad part is if the RSN does go into Bankruptcy, they ( the teams) will not get paid while the RSN continues to air the product, they cannot pull the team from the RSN either because of the contract, once the bankruptcy is resolved, the teams will get reduced money.

Also might have to redo the contracts, if any money is owed to the teams even before the bankruptcy , that will get reduced or wiped out.

Everyone is screwed in this.

Other than the article I posted earlier from PFT about Apple being out of the ST talk now ... HGas anyone seen it reported any where else ? Is this a Done deal ?

I would have thought that it would have been reported all over the place, not just 1 outlet.

See post #3562.

I expect Apple to make a bid for the NBA.

Honestly that's probably a better fit for a tech company than NFLST. The NBA has the youngest audience in major sports in the US, and younger people are the ones who cut the cord first (or never had a cord in the first place)

Honestly that's probably a better fit for a tech company than NFLST. The NBA has the youngest audience in major sports in the US, and younger people are the ones who cut the cord first (or never had a cord in the first place)
The NBA won't give up the finals to streaming. So ABC or Turner will fight for those. Maybe Apple gets a subcontract.

The NBA won't give up the finals to streaming. So ABC or Turner will fight for those. Maybe Apple gets a subcontract.
Depends on the money, the only ones with big amounts of cash right now are Amazon, Google and Apple.

That is why we are hearing so much about sports on streaming services lately, the Leagues cannot get the price they want from Traditional Channels (OTA and Cable), they are moving over to get the increase in rights fees from Streaming.

It is already being written about that Warner (Turner) will not bid on a new contract with the NBA because of money issues, Warner has lost about $6 Billion in the last two quarters.

While Disney ( ABC, ESPN) is doing better ( $1.5 Billion loss in the last quarter), they are also in cost saving mode during this transition from linear to streaming, also still has a lot of debt on the books from the Fox buyout.

Depends on the money, the only ones with big amounts of cash right now are Amazon, Google and Apple.

That is why we are hearing so much about sports on streaming services lately, the Leagues cannot get the price they want from Traditional Channels (OTA and Cable), they are moving over to get the increase in rights fees from Streaming.

It is already being written about that Warner (Turner) will not bid on a new contract with the NBA because of money issues, Warner has lost about $6 Billion in the last two quarters.

While Disney ( ABC, ESPN) is doing better ( $1.5 Billion loss in the last quarter), they are also in cost saving mode during this transition from linear to streaming, also still has a lot of debt on the books from the Fox buyout.
We will never see the Superbowl on anything but Network as they can make more money that way. I can see the other leagues not wanting to give everything to streaming. Maybe a piece of the pie but not the whole thing.

Will NBC make a bid to get the NBA back?

We will never see the Superbowl on anything but Network as they can make more money that way. I can see the other leagues not wanting to give everything to streaming. Maybe a piece of the pie but not the whole thing.
I would believe that also, but just a few years ago there were no NFL games on streaming services, now look at it, by next year every game will be streaming ( also most on Live TV).

Plus we have games streaming only, TNF on Amazon, the London game was on ESPN+.

Things are changing faster then I ever would of thought.

When the next contract is up ( I believe in ‘32), if Apple/Amazon/whoever offered $15-20 Billion for every game on their service only, the NFL would probably take it since that is how their business model is, get the most for the rights.

I would believe that also, but just a few years ago there were no NFL games on streaming services, now look at it, by next year every game will be streaming ( also most on Live TV).

Plus we have games streaming only, TNF on Amazon, the London game was on ESPN+.

Things are changing faster then I ever would of thought.

When the next contract is up ( I believe in ‘32), if Apple/Amazon/whoever offered $15-20 Billion for every game on their service only, the NFL would probably take it since that is how their business model is, get the most for the rights.
In 10 years who knows what the technology will be. Apple or Amazon might not be in the TV business then. Who knows what the league's themselves will look like that far out.

Will NBC make a bid to get the NBA back?
Since they need content for Peacock, I would say maybe, but they had to split the Big Ten deal with Fox and CBS because of the costs ( $1.2 Billion a year), so maybe another split deal.

In 10 years who knows what the technology will be. Apple or Amazon might not be in the TV business then. Who knows what the league's themselves will look like that far out.
Holograms.

In the last 70 years, we have gone from Antenna to Cable to Satellite to Streaming for majority use, I cannot think of an another form of Transmission for TV content.

When I worked for the Cable industry in the 90’s, no one ( including myself) could of dreamed things would be this way now, even when I was doing freelance reports in the early 2000’s.

I did not see the potential of streaming until about 2010, but still never thought it was going to be as big as it is and going to be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.