Directv VOD for locals not in HD - Disappointed!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
I switched from Comcast to DTV a couple of months ago. Happy with the higher number of HD and better picture quality but disappointing that the VOD content so far for local channels (e.g., NBC and ABC) is in SD. Haven't checked the other locals (Fox, CBS, etc) yet.

I guess I am disappointed because comcast had all my locals on demand in HD. Thought DTV being the "leader" in HD would have them too. Annoying to watch VOD for locals in the ugly SD format.

F

Have you tried their websites? They may have the shows you are looking for.

yeah. Both using my receiver or online for VOD for ABC for example all I find for new shows is SD format.

are you talking about network shows or local news or sports shows? I didn't think directv or dish carried local news or sports shows on demand like cable does

Directv links your locals that have national VOD to the national VOD. Your local CBS will go to channel 1002 and only has the network shows. There is no local content. There is also, sadly, no Fox.

It's the regular network shows I'm talking about. Xfinity had them all in HD but so far all of them in DTV are in SD.

DirecTV does not actually provide the VOD programming, it comes from the networks' own sites.

I switched from Comcast to DTV a couple of months ago. Happy with the higher number of HD and better picture quality but disappointing that the VOD content so far for local channels (e.g., NBC and ABC) is in SD. Haven't checked the other locals (Fox, CBS, etc) yet.

I guess I am disappointed because comcast had all my locals on demand in HD. Thought DTV being the "leader" in HD would have them too. Annoying to watch VOD for locals in the ugly SD format.
Those are not locals that are VOD, that is the National affiliate Video OnDemand. They can only send out to the consumer what they receive (ie DirecTV).

The sd VOD network shows are my biggest complaint with DTV. I also liked having HD with Comcast. But that is the only thing I liked better with Comcast.
It takes up less bandwidth when they use SD for the VOD feed. As for Comcast, do not even get me started on their practices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)