DirecTV's HD 100: The List Grows

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So who cares. You just knew that if they didn't get to 100 that someone would complain. "Come on D*, you only gave be 83 channels, you suck! I'm going to Dish/cable". Puhlease. ;) :D

ummm...who cares?? Are you a D* sub?? I am, and I am not busy counting and doing the "this counts and this doesn't". Really guys, what D* gets lit up is what they get lit up. You guys sound like my 6 year old..."But Daddy said we could go to the............" Let them do their thing, if you like it, get it, if not don't. I don't understand what everyones panties are in a bunch for. It certainly isn't the D* subs that have all of these childish questions.
Please read post #21 on this thread for your answer.

I've questioned D*'s ability to provide the 100 channels from the start. D* is still publicly promising 100 National HD channels by the end of the year. As D* subs, you guys should be the one's complaining that D* won't get 100 HD nationals or even close to it. D* has been holding the promise of more HD to their subs for 2+ years. Now D* has promised 100 HD channels by the end of the year, Shouldn't you hold D* to their promises? I think it's fair to ask "Where's the beef?".

For well over a year the vibe has been DISH is better with HD as it has more channels. Well I am willing to use the exact same measuring stick on december 31!

For well over a year the vibe has been DISH is better with HD as it has more channels. Well I am willing to use the exact same measuring stick on december 31!
Yep, that's the true measure. That and picture quality are the main differentiators. D* subs have taken a back seat to E* for a long time, and they're owed a lot in the HD area. That's why D* is paying a premium to launch several HD channels first.

Anyway, the more the merrier for D*. I hope everything goes according to schedule. We know those national channels won't be exclusive to D* for long.

Yep, that's the true measure. That and picture quality are the main differentiators. D* subs have taken a back seat to E* for a long time, and they're owed a lot in the HD area. That's why D* is paying a premium to launch several HD channels first.

Anyway, the more the merrier for D*. I hope everything goes according to schedule. We know those national channels won't be exclusive to D* for long.

At least you HOPE it isn't a long wait.

hell im happy with the list, i dont want them to waste space with channels people dont watch...

and I swear I heard capacity for 100 HD channels no tactually having the channels, but its been a few days since i saw the ads, havent watched live tv in a while.

I do still need to call and get the new dish and HR20

Number of channels is one way to measure, PQ is another way to measure - agreed. But there IS a third way (and just as valid) to measure - and that is by the quality of channel itself. For myself (and for many others) DirecTV's HD channel offering is in fact better already. I get YES-HD and SNY-HD full time. I get MLB EI SF, and I also get NFL ST SF. Between the baseball and the football HD offerings as well as my HD lils - I think the offering is MUCH better (not as many channels true, but BETTER ones IMO).

Would you yourself rather have 10 channels you don't watch often or care about, or 4 of the ones you watch all the time? And which would be a better offering to YOU? This is ALSO a measure for sure.

hell im happy with the list, i dont want them to waste space with channels people dont watch...

and I swear I heard capacity for 100 HD channels no tactually having the channels, but its been a few days since i saw the ads, havent watched live tv in a while.

I think I heard the same thing. Capacity not guarantees and it was 150 channels.

Number of channels is one way to measure, PQ is another way to measure - agreed. But there IS a third way (and just as valid) to measure - and that is by the quality of channel itself. For myself (and for many others) DirecTV's HD channel offering is in fact better already. I get YES-HD and SNY-HD full time. I get MLB EI SF, and I also get NFL ST SF. Between the baseball and the football HD offerings as well as my HD lils - I think the offering is MUCH better (not as many channels true, but BETTER ones IMO).

Would you yourself rather have 10 channels you don't watch often or care about, or 4 of the ones you watch all the time? And which would be a better offering to YOU? This is ALSO a measure for sure.

ScoBuck,
I agree with your statement 110% .
I don't care if we get 70 channels vs 120 if the 70 are better quality programminmg and better res and of couse , something you WANT to see !:hungry:

Jimbo

Shadow,
It's always been a capacity of 150 channels, right from the start.

Jimbo

Please read post #21 on this thread for your answer.

I've questioned D*'s ability to provide the 100 channels from the start. D* is still publicly promising 100 National HD channels by the end of the year. As D* subs, you guys should be the one's complaining that D* won't get 100 HD nationals or even close to it. D* has been holding the promise of more HD to their subs for 2+ years. Now D* has promised 100 HD channels by the end of the year, Shouldn't you hold D* to their promises? I think it's fair to ask "Where's the beef?".

Ummm, I don't care. They light up SciFi HD, my RSN in HD and a few movie channels that I could care less if they put up another 20 or 120. Most of the rest are just HD versions of garbage stations I already don't watch.

D* hasn't promised me anything. I'm still with D* over the past 3 years not because I'm "waiting for 100 HD channels they promised" but because they have Sunday Ticket and I get more channels for less money then any other provider available to me. Period.

You sound like a little kid that got promised they would have cookies but didn't get them. D* will light up whatever HD is available. Why do I care about some arbitrary channel count some bozo marketing guys came up with? Anyone that believes advertising is just fooling themselves.

guys I am going to stick this thread as this is good information, and I also dont want to see 1 kajillion (yes thats alot!) posts and threads about what channels are coming and more :)

Do you think all these editions may force a channel realignment? (That's not to say a dramatic one.)

Do you think all these editions may force a channel realignment? (That's not to say a dramatic one.)

Its gotta. Now that most receivers can do 4 digits I think they are going to implement large ranges. Problably look more like Dish Network's. I just hope there is some sort of HD grouping by category type. It will be the only channels I will care about outside of Comedy Central and my locals.

guys I am going to stick this thread as this is good information, and I also dont want to see 1 kajillion (yes thats alot!) posts and threads about what channels are coming and more :)

Good idea.

Its gotta. Now that most receivers can do 4 digits I think they are going to implement large ranges. Problably look more like Dish Network's. I just hope there is some sort of HD grouping by category type. It will be the only channels I will care about outside of Comedy Central and my locals.

Yeah I hope they organize them in a better way.

I hope so too,Because Directvs line up is a mess.They should put the Payperview near the XM channels.And put all new HD channels up close.:D

Why should the XM channels be near the PPV's ???

HD channels should all be in the same area, I would expect them to be in the 1000 area.

Another possibility is to have the HD channel a simple .1 to the channel, much like the Yes network was (or is, I don't get it) 622 SD , 622.1 HD or something like that.

Jimbo

...I then have to say to myself, self, that channel really isnt a national channel and its not in HD.
Think of it as a PPV package deal. The event is in HD, but when it is over, the "channel" goes dark for 21 to 165 hours.

To my mind, if you claim 10 channels of HD programming, there should be close to 240 hours of HD programming per day. Obviously, carrying TNT is going to hurt everyone's average.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts