DirecTV's Plans for 2006/2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
herdfan said:
Since the late 90's E* has probably added more subs than D*. .

Based on your numbers, there is no probably about it.

Even the USA Today story last week stated that E* added more subscribers last year than it had total in 1998.

Directv's Plans??

DIRECTV HAD BETTER GET THEIR H20 HD FIXED BEFORE THEY COME OUT WITH THEIR HD DVR THIS YEAR. IF YOU LOOKED AT THEIR FORUMS, YOU WOULD SEE HUNDREDS OF OLD CUSTOMERS (3 or more years with DTV) WHO ARE VERY DISGRUNTLED AND UPSET BECAUSE THIS H20 IS A FARCE WITH THE LOCAL HD CHANNELS BECAUSE OF THE LIP SYNC PROBLEMS AND SLOW, SLOW, SLUGGISH CHANGING BETWEEN STATIONS ON THE REMOTE (2 TO 5 SECONDS) I AM IN THE ATLANTA AREA AND OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY THAT HAVE HD CAPABILITY VIA DIRECTV SAY THE SAME..JUST WATCHING AMERICAN IDOL IS TERRIBLE ON LIP SYNC BUT IS WORSE ON CBS AND ABC HD PROGRAMMING. REMEMBER, THIS IS WITHOUT AN OTA ANTENNA AS THIS IS THE NEW H20 MPEG4 FOR LOCALLY BROADCASTING STATIONS IN HD. DIRECTV SAYS IS WORKING ON PROBLEM BUT DO NOT BELIEVE THEM AS THE ONLY FIX IS TO MAKE A NEW HD RECEIVER BOX AND THAT WOULD COST THEM THOUSANDS AND WOULD HAVE TO REPLACE ALL THE ONES THAT WERE PURCHASED BY PERSONS SUCH AS MYSELF PRIOR TO
02/28/2006 WHEN NEW LEASING PROGRAM TAKES EFFENCT 03/01/2006.
SENT LETTER TO THEIR PRESIDENT BUT DO NOT EXPECT LETTER TO BE READ, OF COURSE BUT AT LEAST HAVE SENT EMAILS TO THEIR TECH SUPPORT REGARDING THIS MATTER FOR ME AND MANY, MANY OTHERS.

I'm not reading this until you go back and remove all unnecessary CAPITAL letters.:(

I know the use of CAPS means your shouting, but it is too hard to read. Use Smilies instead.

cmoss5 said:
DIRECTV HAD BETTER GET THEIR H20 HD FIXED BEFORE THEY COME OUT WITH THEIR HD DVR THIS YEAR. IF YOU LOOKED AT THEIR FORUMS, YOU WOULD SEE HUNDREDS OF OLD CUSTOMERS (3 or more years with DTV) WHO ARE VERY DISGRUNTLED AND UPSET BECAUSE THIS H20 IS A FARCE WITH THE LOCAL HD CHANNELS BECAUSE OF THE LIP SYNC PROBLEMS AND SLOW, SLOW, SLUGGISH CHANGING BETWEEN STATIONS ON THE REMOTE (2 TO 5 SECONDS) I AM IN THE ATLANTA AREA AND OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY THAT HAVE HD CAPABILITY VIA DIRECTV SAY THE SAME..JUST WATCHING AMERICAN IDOL IS TERRIBLE ON LIP SYNC BUT IS WORSE ON CBS AND ABC HD PROGRAMMING. REMEMBER, THIS IS WITHOUT AN OTA ANTENNA AS THIS IS THE NEW H20 MPEG4 FOR LOCALLY BROADCASTING STATIONS IN HD. DIRECTV SAYS IS WORKING ON PROBLEM BUT DO NOT BELIEVE THEM AS THE ONLY FIX IS TO MAKE A NEW HD RECEIVER BOX AND THAT WOULD COST THEM THOUSANDS AND WOULD HAVE TO REPLACE ALL THE ONES THAT WERE PURCHASED BY PERSONS SUCH AS MYSELF PRIOR TO
02/28/2006 WHEN NEW LEASING PROGRAM TAKES EFFENCT 03/01/2006.
SENT LETTER TO THEIR PRESIDENT BUT DO NOT EXPECT LETTER TO BE READ, OF COURSE BUT AT LEAST HAVE SENT EMAILS TO THEIR TECH SUPPORT REGARDING THIS MATTER FOR ME AND MANY, MANY OTHERS.

OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....my ears....

mind turning off your CAPS LOCK?

cmoss5 said:
DIRECTV HAD BETTER GET THEIR H20 HD FIXED BEFORE THEY COME OUT WITH THEIR HD DVR THIS YEAR. IF YOU LOOKED AT THEIR FORUMS, YOU WOULD SEE HUNDREDS OF OLD CUSTOMERS (3 or

Quit shouting.

D* may have grandiose plans but I think the new lease plan is going to be real trouble. If I were a brand new customer there is no way in the world I would go with them over cable. The upfront costs are just too high.

If you don't care about HD....

But even then cable has no commitment, no install charge and the BIG factor right now to me is that if I have a problem with cable I can call city hall and I've got an immediate advocate. If I feel like D* has screwed me or I have a problem where do I go?

Also let's compare to a car. If I lease a $50k Mercedes my payments are a LOT lower because I'm not paying to own the car. Now D* wants me to pay the same as if I bought the equipment PLUS the same operating costs. The business plan sucks.

scotsmanron said:
.But even then cable has no commitment, no install charge and the BIG factor right now to me is that if I have a problem with cable I can call city hall and I've got an immediate advocate. If I feel like D* has screwed me or I have a problem where do I go?

You forgot to add, go with cable and living in Florida like you and I do, have to wait weeks after a hurricane, to get you cable back. After our last hurricane my neighborhood was almost 3 weeks without cable, after the storm hit us. As soon as the wind died down, I cranked up my generator, plugged in my D* equipment and TV, and I was back in business.

Needless to say, our house was the center of the neighborhood at night, for a few weeks after the storm. Since then many of the neighbors have dumped cable and have gotten D* or E*. The ones that have HD didn't have a problem with having to buy their HD equipment, as opposed to getting it for less from the cable campany.

The truth of the matter is we have been paying for HD equipment all along, all we are doing different now is leasing it, which is better. If it breaks down we don't have to go out and shell out for a new receiver, they will now replace it.

Last edited:
scotsmanron said:

But even then cable has no commitment, no install charge and the BIG factor right now to me is that if I have a problem with cable I can call city hall and I've got an immediate advocate. If I feel like D* has screwed me or I have a problem where do I go?

Also let's compare to a car. If I lease a $50k Mercedes my payments are a LOT lower because I'm not paying to own the car. Now D* wants me to pay the same as if I bought the equipment PLUS the same operating costs. The business plan sucks.

dont know what cableco you have, if comcrap has to add / run wiring it costs $$$

dragon002 said:
dont know what cableco you have, if comcrap has to add / run wiring it costs $$$
Most homes are pre-wired nowadays, and if they have to run cable the install cost is maybe $25 or so.

Page 83...

Did anyone else notice the name & phone number on page 83 of the PDF? Did a quick search in the Internet and verified it really exists. Wonder if that's his account number as well? If it was me, I'd be pissed.

scotsmanron said:

Upgrade 1 room to a HD receiver for free also. The only thing not free is the HD DVR, but that will probably change once the new HD DVR comes out.

lou_do said:
You forgot to add, go with cable and living in Florida like you and I do, have to wait weeks after a hurricane, to get you cable back. After our last hurricane my neighborhood was almost 3 weeks without cable, after the storm hit us. As soon as the wind died down, I cranked up my generator, plugged in my D* equipment and TV, and I was back in business.

Needless to say, our house was the center of the neighborhood at night, for a few weeks after the storm. Since then many of the neighbors have dumped cable and have gotten D* or E*. The ones that have HD didn't have a problem with having to buy their HD equipment, as opposed to getting it for less from the cable campany.

The truth of the matter is we have been paying for HD equipment all along, all we are doing different now is leasing it, which is better. If it breaks down we don't have to go out and shell out for a new receiver, they will now replace it.

Lucky you.

Unfortunately, you were one of the very few residents who had a Dish left. Even in the 90 MPH wind, all that was left was stubs.

They are still doing replacements for the area 5 months later.

If you called the day after Wilma, the wait was over 3 weeks at that point - and only got longer.

So you got lucky.

And most know that cable usually works during the storm if you have power. However, rain fade.........

I think I'm deaf now. My ears are ringing.

At least we can say that there are some big improvements coming down the pike to look forward to for both Dish Network and DirecTv subscribers.

DigitalFreak said:
Did anyone else notice the name & phone number on page 83 of the PDF? Did a quick search in the Internet and verified it really exists. Wonder if that's his account number as well? If it was me, I'd be pissed.

You must have some good s.......tuff at your place.

Comcast is the local here. Let's get it straight, I have D* because the picture sucks on Comcast, but I don't like how I now feel being made a "take it or leave it" peon by D*.

My example of a car lease fits perfectly hear. Ususually when you lease you get more product for less money or the same product at a lower cost. We are getting neither of those. Someone explain to me a HD DVR at a purchase of $500 is worse than a lease of the same at $500.

As for the hurricanes....I fortunately live in Tallahassee, not very prone to them.

I stand by my statement that the business plan sucks outloud.

scotsmanron said:
Comcast is the local here. Let's get it straight, I have D* because the picture sucks on Comcast, but I don't like how I now feel being made a "take it or leave it" peon by D*.

My example of a car lease fits perfectly hear. Ususually when you lease you get more product for less money or the same product at a lower cost. We are getting neither of those. Someone explain to me a HD DVR at a purchase of $500 is worse than a lease of the same at $500.

As for the hurricanes....I fortunately live in Tallahassee, not very prone to them.

I stand by my statement that the business plan sucks outloud.
With the lease there is a 250 dollar equipment termination fee and a 150 dollar programming termination fee and you have to return the HDDVR. so you pay 500+250+150 = 900 dollars and you are left with NOTHING if you cancel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)