Dirt -- Jonesboro, AR DMA HD locals question

Ice, When the Little Rock spot was on Western Arc it was a stronger signal then the Memphis spot. I didn't think to check the Little Rock spot or Memphis HD spot on 61.5 before putting the dish back on western arc.
Bluegrass, keep us posted. Memphis HD wasn't turned on here this morning when I switched back to western.
All, the FCC used to have a list, I can't find it now get a 404 error. As I recall for my area, it had stations from Little Rock and Springfield, MO and maybe one from Memphis, didn't have more then two from any city. Paducah KY, was not on that list. Yes the FCC decided and Dish should be able to put up any of those it wants to.

Got a question for whoever knows. This conversation got me curious about just where the various market areas borders are located. I have done some googling, but finding conflicting information. One map I found shows ( http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/arkansas.gif ) Sharp Co. in Jonesboro, Izard in Little Rock and Fulton in Springfield, while a different map shows Izard in the Jonesboro DMA. A third map I found shows both Fulton and Izard in the Jonesboro DMA, with Baxter being the closest Springfield DMA county.

I went to the Nielsen site, since as I understand it they actually decide what the DMAs are, but they consider that information proprietary and don't have it available for public viewing.

So, anybody know for sure?

I believe up to now (but I could be wrong), everyone in the Jonesboro DMA has been on western arc, since KAIT, KTEJ and KVTJ have only been available on WA sat. Wonder what they did for people who lived on the east side of a big hill or something......

That is interesting. I have to wonder though, since the HD version of the Memphis stations being provided to the Jonesboro DMA don't have the Market Flag for us (according to the uplink reports I read and the local channel list I mentioned above), whether you will get those station in HD, or only get KAIT and KTEJ in HD? Let us know how it turns out.
SD only. You'll get the Jonesboro stations in HD

Looking at the spotbeam it is kinda full. I think you can get 8 HD stations on a transponder and they look full right now. Maybe room for 1 more HD station
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...&sub=true&beamMap=E16_SB63.jpg&sort=TP&order=

looking more into it the Memphis spotbeam (on 61.5) covers the Jonesboro market just fine
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...TN&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=E16_SB14.jpg

so Dish COULD just remap the CBS/NBC/FOX HD feeds from Memphis to fill in there.

I believe up to now (but I could be wrong), everyone in the Jonesboro DMA has been on western arc, since KAIT, KTEJ and KVTJ have only been available on WA sat. Wonder what they did for people who lived on the east side of a big hill or something......

Unless it was some retailer who installed to (and would put them on EA) they would have had to install a WA dish

Got a question for whoever knows. This conversation got me curious about just where the various market areas borders are located. I have done some googling, but finding conflicting information. One map I found shows ( http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/arkansas.gif ) Sharp Co. in Jonesboro, Izard in Little Rock and Fulton in Springfield, while a different map shows Izard in the Jonesboro DMA. A third map I found shows both Fulton and Izard in the Jonesboro DMA, with Baxter being the closest Springfield DMA county.

I went to the Nielsen site, since as I understand it they actually decide what the DMAs are, but they consider that information proprietary and don't have it available for public viewing.

So, anybody know for sure?

Some outer counties of a market change yearly from area to area for locals. I think the dishuser chart hasnt been updated in a couple years.

Ice, The western arc SD Memphis channels I get are on sat 110, Jonesboro SD are on 129. So it's not like they all need to be on the same spotbeam.
Whatever Dish did to turn on the Mempis SD spot here they should be able to do for HD.

Iceberg, I hadn't thought about the spot beam thing, glad you pointed that out. Looked at the picture of the SB14 you linked to, then found the one for SB63, which is where the KAIT HD feed lives, and based on those maps it looks to me like SB14 actually covers this DMA better than 63, especially on the eastern side.

If Dish is like a lot of the companies and government entities I have had dealings with over the years though, it probably isn't that simple. Somewhere along the way, somebody probably made the decision that it (SB14) won't work in this area, and even though most of the people we might try to deal with (DIRT members for example) would probably understand and agree with us, getting something changed almost takes an act of congress (and we know how that usually goes).

Just for the record I want to say I have enjoyed the discussion in this thread and learned a lot, even if we don't ultimately get anything changed.

Ice, The western arc SD Memphis channels I get are on sat 110, Jonesboro SD are on 129. So it's not like they all need to be on the same spotbeam.
I understand that. I never said they had to be on same spotbeam. With the new markets on 129 Dish was able to remap the "fill in" stations that are on 110 with no issues.
Whatever Dish did to turn on the Mempis SD spot here they should be able to do for HD.
thats what I said above. It seems odd that in older markets they launched in HD the "fill in" stations are in HD too but recently they havent done that. Noticed that with the 2 new markets they uplinked yesterday

What hinders persons in the Jonesboro DMA from "moving" to the Little Rock DMA?

Memphis and Little Rock HD Locals ar on the same spot beam.

The spot beam maps seem to cover everything in the DMA, even a little up into Missouri and Kentucky is just outside the first white ring.

They should continue to get the Jonesboro locals OTA.

Last edited:
Jim, a lot of people do that. The ones I know have property, or have a friend who does, in the LR DMA, and they give that as their physical location. For me though, it is simply a matter of honesty. I just won't say something I know not to be true, no matter how innocent it may seem to others.

Note: if this thread now turns into some discussion of right/wrong, people saying it is ok because Dish is being unreasonable, or whatever, them I'm gone.

What is interesting is depending on what provider you have the "locals" that are imported change

Dish gives you Memphis
Directv gives you Paducah (and all stations are in HD but the religious station)
Suddenlink gives you both Memphis and Little Rock (due to different significant viewed rules that what satellite has)...but only Memphis in HD
Fusion Media gives you just Memphis

The tech just left and I still don't have any locals in HD. He said that he could put another dish up and I could get KAIT in HD only but I would lose all my Memphis stations. He callesbinto cust service and one of their reps tried to tell me it has illegal for me to get any Memphis stations. I asked him if it was illegal then why was it on their website. Jersey had Jo answer for that. Sorry guys, wish I had better news.

BGB73: After additional thought, I have to wonder if your tech was fully informed also. According to the uplink reports, the Memphis stations we get now off of the Western Arc have been added to 61.5 on the same spot beam as KAIT and the other Jonesboro stations, and the Market Flag for Jonesboro DMA is present. Also, Skip had turned his dish to east himself and said he was still getting the Memphis locals. So something (else) doesn't add up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts