Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I have a brand new DiSeqC 4x1 switch that should be working correctly but I'm not getting power to 2 of my LNB's.

Port 1 goes to the LNB on my motor and it gets power (this one is working)
Port 3 goes to the new 1.2 dish for 103W - - - no power to LNB
Port 4 goes to the 6 footer for C-Band - - - no power to LNB

Both runs to the fixed dishes are kind of long. The 1.2 KU run is about 75 feet and the 6 foot C-Band run is about 150 feet.

The receiver is an HDmicro. On the two that are not working I set ZERO signal strength - - - not the normal 45.

When I first started using Port 3 for the 1.2 - - - 103W KU dish it worked for about 1 day and then stopped working.

I want to systematically troubleshoot this one but so far no luck.

My first thought is that I have a cabling problem or a short somewhere but I have put new ends on with no joy.

Any suggestions?

Was the microHD powered down during every connection of every device? DiSEqC switches are easily damaged during hot swaps.

Are the motors powered through the switches? DiSEqC switches typically do not handle high current draws.

Do these runs provide signals if the DiSEqC switch is bypassed?

Last edited:
My procedure when making changes to the DiSEqC is as follows.

1. Turn off Receiver
2. Unplug receiver
3. Make changes to DiSEqC

I have ruined one before by not doing that and learned my lesson. BTW, I will have to bypass the switch tonight after work.

Chapelrun,

Is this switch by any chance a Chieta brand switch, possibly a "Heavy Duty" WSD-2041 model?

chieta-4x1-diseqc-switch.jpg

I have had quite a few of these identical switches fail (or appear to be dead right out of the package) with ports 4 and sometimes 3 and 4 dead. Several worked fine at first, then port 4 developed problems, failed hard and port 3 followed in the same footsteps. I finally got a pair to work in my switch array and they made it a month and were still fine, then two months and they were still fine. They ended up working for years thereafter and still were operating when I had to disassemble my dish farm to move residences.

No reason that I could detect for them to fail, but I started handling them like ESD components after the first several failed. Grounded wrist straps, ensuring the cables were powered down and bled off to ground, etc. However, I was running motor power for a H-H motor through these switches (on port #1). That port and port #2 always seemed to keep working. So now I have about 8-10 "2 X 1" DiSEqC switches in a junk drawer somewhere.

RADAR

Last edited:
If you want to future-proof your diseq against failure, and ...
- you could live with three inputs
- your receiver can power the switch
- or you externally power the switch
- you have a spare DishNet DP-34 around ...

- you could live with three inputs
That's what I have done, with the addition of 3 22khz switches. Port (LNB) 1 fails here, after a few days to a few months. Have no clue what is causing it. Bet I have 6 bad. All with port 1 gone. So far, port 2,3 and 4 are holding, for about 6 months now. Port 1 died in about a month.

I thought this Chieta 4X1 burning out periodically was unique to me, even though I took all the necessary precautionary steps. I have lost 2 of three in the last 2 years or so. :(

Babadem,

Were they the same model that I listed in my earlier post?

RADAR
Yes, the same Model. I lost the 2nd one about 2 weeks ago. Out of three, only one is still working. I like them because, they're the only 4X1 switch that can pass through enough power to moved my DG380 motor. I have tried the Geosat Pro 4X1, the Sadoun 4X1 and WSI 4X1, and none of those passe enough current to move the dish. If you know of a better 4X1 switch that works better with Motors let me know.

Something very strange here!

OK, got home. Made sure receiver was off and then unplugged - - - removed coax from Port 3 and 4 (the problem ports) - - - moved coax to Port 2 (which I had not used before) - - - this left port 3 and 4 empty.

Went back and plugged in the receiver and I was very happy - - - I had excellent Signal and Quality from Port 2 - - - I rescanned 103W and in came all the channels no issue. As soon as the scan ended and I hit OK - - - nothing (no signal or quality on Port 2). It appears that something is killing the ports but I have no idea what - - - I was not even near the port when if failed.

BTW, this is what I have - - - and I bought two when I got them - - - the other one is still in the box unopened. Should I try the other one using a different configuration?

Attachments

• SDS41C-switch.jpg
    SDS41C-switch.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 112
OK, got home. Made sure receiver was off and then unplugged - - - removed coax from Port 3 and 4 (the problem ports) - - - moved coax to Port 2 (which I had not used before) - - - this left port 3 and 4 empty.

Went back and plugged in the receiver and I was very happy - - - I had excellent Signal and Quality from Port 2 - - - I rescanned 103W and in came all the channels no issue. As soon as the scan ended and I hit OK - - - nothing (no signal or quality on Port 2). It appears that something is killing the ports but I have no idea what - - - I was not even near the port when if failed.

BTW, this is what I have - - - and I bought two when I got them - - - the other one is still in the box unopened. Should I try the other one using a different configuration?

Well heck, why wouldn't you? What have you to lose?

RADAR

Maybe you have a ground loop somehow, and it's passing just enough voltage to quickly fry your switches...

Which would be odd, since the MicroHD is powered from a brick, and not a 3 pronged plug. But still, perhaps it's that.

Of course, it's just as likely that batch of switches are defective, if you've used switches before.

How about this - - - take the motor out the equation.

Receiver to the new 4x1 switch
Port 1 to 1.2 M KU dish on 103W
Port 2 to 6 footer C dish on 125W

That would at least tell me if the motor may be causing the issue. And yes I used the exact same 4x1 switch before with a similar setup.

Maybe you have a ground loop somehow, and it's passing just enough voltage to quickly fry your switches...

Which would be odd, since the MicroHD is powered from a brick, and not a 3 pronged plug. But still, perhaps it's that.

Of course, it's just as likely that batch of switches are defective, if you've used switches before.

Ground loop - - that must be the issue !! I'm going to try find the ground loop before putting in the second switch. With the long cable runs the impedance may be relatively high - - - which may cause enough of a spike to kill the port on the switch.

More research before trying again - - - and I may need a better switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts