Diseqc switch question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hank123

COLORADO CONNOISSEUR BUD HUNTER
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 8, 2016
N. Colorado
Cant find a clear answer as the answer seems to say both things.
Is it better to have a Diseqc switch close to the dish or is it ok to drop dual lines from a C/KU combo
and run it 40-50 feet to a diseqc switch?

Many thanks

I have similar setups set both ways. Switch at the dish and switch at the receiver. Can't tell any difference.

Reactions: hank123
That is what I figured should not make much of a difference.

I've had setups both ways and have had them work fine also. Now I put them in whatever location is convenient and easy to access.

The primary difference is the cost of the coax. There might be a redundancy issue to consider if you really need to care about that (and you probably don't), and there might be a concern about protecting the switch.

From a signal strength point of view, it is a non-issue. Distance is distance, it doesn't matter which path the signal takes if the cable length is the same.

I usually protect the switch from weather, since even the "high end" switches are of terrible quality, and add a little effort to minimize cable length. This means mount the switch near as possible to the dish without getting rained on. It seems to be the best balance between cable cost and switch replacement cost. Or possibly physical effort. I enjoy life more when there are fewer things that demand attention.

.....I usually protect the switch from weather, since even the "high end" switches are of terrible quality, and add a little effort to minimize cable length. This means mount the switch near as possible to the dish without getting rained on.........
Not difficult to protect from weather. My 8 position out on post to my Winegard. Weather proof box with cover off.

Attachments

• DiSEqC at Dish.JPG
    DiSEqC at Dish.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 113
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts