DiSEqC switches getting fried when used with positionner?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mchomicz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Over the past year or so I have fried 2 DiSEqC. I have 3 dishes, one of them on motor. I tired a couple configurations (DiSEqC BEFORE positionner or DiSEqC AFTER positionner) but both switches lasted a few months and then failed. To 'fix' my problem I both times simply removed DiSEqC switches from my setup and everything worked just fine again (at first I thought I fried my receiver, then I though cables may have gone bad and finally I realized it was the switch; second time around the first thing I checked when things stopped working again was the DiSEqC switch - and sure enough - that's what failed)

The first DiSEqC I fried was a Coolsat 4x1 mounted BEFORE the positionner; second one was I think a Chitea brand (supposedly - 'heavy duty' switch) mounted AFTER the positionner Both lasted a few months; both were mounted outdoors (that's the only practical way for me to do it).

I was wondering if perhaps one needs to use any special 'grade' of a DiSEqC switch that can work with positionner? My guess is that the current drawn by the motor is too much for the DiSEqC switch to handle and it fires. Is there a particular brand or model that's better than others in terms of being able to survive being used with positionner?

Any suggestions would be appreciated - in particular specific brands or models MEANT to be used with motors (and ideally - actually living up to it).

Thank you,
Michael

I use and recommend the DMSi DiSEqC switch (With cover) I have it AFTER the motor, I have had the same one in use for around 2 years and it has no weather cover!

PSB said:
I use and recommend the DMSi DiSEqC switch (With cover) I have it AFTER the motor, I have had the same one in use for around 2 years and it has no weather cover!
Thanks for the info. Do you mean one of these: http://www.sat-sales.com/proddetail.php?prod=dmsi_diseqc_4x1_switch
If so - this looks exactly like the Coolsat I fried ;-) Though perhaps it's just a matter of getting lucky...

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
I can't offer any guidance, but I can add that I bought one of these
"Chitea brand (supposedly - 'heavy duty' switch)" from ebay, and it lasted about 2 minutes. One of the transitors blew up inside.

I'm on a $10 pansat now, working OK for past few weeks.

Attachments

• 4 way small.jpg
    4 way small.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 170
PSB said:
No I was talking about the NEW style of DiSEqC from DMSi where ALL the connections are on the same side preventing any water getting in. They also come with a weather cover!

http://www.dmsiusa.com/diseqc_switches.htm

Ahh, I see. Nice. Whould you happen to know about any retailers (web sites or phone ordre) that carry these? I checked eBay - but did not find any... Only the 'old' style.

Thank you,
Michael

mchomicz said:
Over the past year or so I have fried 2 DiSEqC.
Thanks for all the input. I have ordered 2 switches: the 'nice' one from DMS International with weather cover and a cheapo one from the Bay. We'll see if I have any luck with either ;-) I will mount them AFTER the motor and hope for the best...

Thanks again,
Michael

You are probably already aware of this, but always be sure to turn off your receiver (using the main switch in the back or unplugging from the wall) before making any connections or disconnections to switches or LNBFs in your system :)

mchomicz said:
Ahh, I see. Nice. Whould you happen to know about any retailers (web sites or phone ordre) that carry these? I checked eBay - but did not find any... Only the 'old' style.

Thank you,
Michael

Peter at PSB.... See http://www.psbsatellite.com/.

Peter puts a lot of work and effort into helping the folks on this forum, yet I never see him mention that he sells satellite equipment. It would be great to see some support given back to PSB. The knowledge he brings to this forum is priceless. Keep him in mind when you want equipment. Don't just pick his brain for all the answers then buy from someone else who might be $0.50 cheaper. Peters one of the good guys, always willing to help, knows the equipment and has very fair prices. Check out his website and think about PSB the next time you need something.

MrTim said:
Peter at PSB.... See http://www.psbsatellite.com/.

Peter puts a lot of work and effort into helping the folks on this forum, yet I never see him mention that he sells satellite equipment. It would be great to see some support given back to PSB. The knowledge he brings to this forum is priceless. Keep him in mind when you want equipment. Don't just pick his brain for all the answers then buy from someone else who might be $0.50 cheaper. Peters one of the good guys, always willing to help, knows the equipment and has very fair prices. Check out his website and think about PSB the next time you need something.

Yes, I agree... I've mentioned his site a few times to guys looking for different items.. But, then again I kinda understand why Pete doesn't push his site..

I plan on buying a Traxis 3500 from Pete when the time comes..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts