Dish answer to multiple hoppers

Rdeejr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Santa Fe
I went to the Dish Network forum and asked about three hopper systems and below is the reply from Dish tech.....

TECH Reply -"We are not able to setup 2H/0J, or 3H/0J in our system. There are some cases where we can do 1H/0J, but otherwise each Hopper needs at least 1 corresponding Joey (so we can do 1H/2J or 2H/2J)."

Then I replied below and with the techs reply.

rdeejr wrote:
Hmmmm. That's odd. I know people who have two hoppers and no joeys. I also read on satellite guys forum of one user with three hoppers on the same account.
This is the frustrating part of upgrading.

TECH Reply - "I am aware that some customers do have this on their account. These customers either went through a retailer, or purchased and self installed the equipment. We do not have the option to set them up in our system."

Self install - REALLY.

If you can't get a correct answer from the source there is a break down. I currently have two 612 and one 722 for a total of six tuners. Why would I want one hopper with three tuners??? I read on forums so I know different but what about all the others who do not know and are getting talked into something they will not be happy with.

Who would have ever thought that upgrading a satellite receiver would be like buying a used car - It all depends on who you talk too.

What the guy at Dish said is currently correct. It does not seem that their system will allow Hoppers without Joeys. Not sure why they don't update this. You should go to a local retailer and have them put whatever you want in. They will probably offer you some better service also. You can also self install too, but you have to purchase all of your equipment.

I currently have a 3 Hopper / 6 Joey system. Dish did the first 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. However, due to their ridiculous 6 item lease limit, I had to purchase the other 2 Joeys and 3rd Hopper from a retailer and do a self-install. If you do your research on Satelliteguys, all the information for a partial or full self-install is readily available. I have always done my own wiring and switch installations, so it was a piece of cake.

It took time and persistence. I talked to the executive department several times.
I have two Hoppers no joeys in my RV.
I got it all through Dish with a sub contractor install 2 weeks ago. The installer said it was only his second 2 H install and I think his first in an RV, but he was young and eager to learn and cooperate.
There are still issues I would like to work out but the system is in and works fine.

I had a two hopper 0 Joey install done by dish in April. First hopper was free and the second cost me $179.00 and I had to go through the executive resolutions department to get it done. I was a new subscriber coming from Directv and was told by several CSR it couldn't be done. Well it can be done you just have to talk with the right department who can create some type of a work around in their computer system. Persistence is the key as well as having a positive attitude while dealing with them.

I currently have a 3 Hopper / 6 Joey system. Dish did the first 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. However, due to their ridiculous 6 item lease limit, I had to purchase the other 2 Joeys and 3rd Hopper from a retailer and do a self-install. If you do your research on Satelliteguys, all the information for a partial or full self-install is readily available. I have always done my own wiring and switch installations, so it was a piece of cake.

Dish is trying to keep the very high cost of acquiring a customer or upgrading a current from being too high. Dish and DirecTV have reasonable limits to what they will pay for that suit the vast majority of subscribers. However, it seems fair for Power Users to share some of that cost by availing themselves of the alternatives available, including Dish Executive level CRS's who have the authority to grant exceptions and have the means to override system restrictions in place for standard CSR's.

I had 2H/2J installed, purchased and installed the third Hopper on my own. Dish apparently thinks that their limitations are just fine in comparison to the competition such as DirecTV with their 5-tuner DVRs and the likes. I'm sure if Dish feels that their limitations are driving (enough) users to the competition then they will change their policy.

I had 2H/2J installed, purchased and installed the third Hopper on my own. Dish apparently thinks that their limitations are just fine in comparison to the competition such as DirecTV with their 5-tuner DVRs and the likes. I'm sure if Dish feels that their limitations are driving (enough) users to the competition then they will change their policy.

EXACTLY, and they have done so in the past. Back when the 501 came out and Dish was a smaller company, the limit was ONE DVR (they would provide at their cost). Over time that was generously expaned to even a peak of four 612's to support the "4TV" limit Dish would pay for (The alternative was two "2nd TV experience" DVR's such as the 622, 277, 722K, 922 for a total of 4 HD tuners.) Today, is not the limit Dish will pay for is 6 tuners? I suspect that in the not too distant future Dish will allow Hopper only or Hopper install, but I think Dish want to recoup the R&D and other costs of the Hopper with the introduction of the system, then they can "afford" to lessen such Hopper/Joey requirements.

I had a two hopper 0 Joey install done by dish in April. First hopper was free and the second cost me $179.00 and I had to go through the executive resolutions department to get it done. I was a new subscriber coming from Directv and was told by several CSR it couldn't be done. Well it can be done you just have to talk with the right department who can create some type of a work around in their computer system. Persistence is the key as well as having a positive attitude while dealing with them.

How do I contact the executive resolutions department? I am interested in the same setup.

Thanks!

Dish now allows multiple Hoppers. Second home, campers, etc.

Hey everyone, yes I can confirm they will allow multiple hoppers. I called them last week, without having to go up to any special departments and asked them the following
"I just got the Hopper upgrade on my house and really like it. I have a VIP211 on my camper trailer and want to have one installed out at my shop. Last I read you guys (Dish) were only allowing a single hopper per account but on the web forums it said you've started to allow it. I don't need any Joey's because I just have HDMI splitters in my house running to my living room and bedroom"

The rep responded "Yes, you certainly can. That is no problem. We simply count your shop as your second home under the same account. You can have 2 hoppers and still keep your 211 on your camper. Do you want to schedule an install now?"

So their policy has certainly changed over the last year or so. The installer that came told me something along the lines of "Yes at first they restricted it. But then everyone got complaining that they couldn't put them at home and in their campers or cabins so they allow it now. But sometimes they get confused about if you need a Joey with it. They often place the install call along with a Joey and we just cancel it once we do the install".

So there you have it. Give them a call if you've got a second home or want a Hopper in your camper. After I got my hopper it took me a week to realize I wanted one in my shop where I spend most of my days. That way my wife can enjoy its great new features, and I can do the same in my "man cave". It really is a great piece of technology. Miles ahead of the 722 and the 2000 hours of recording space is wonderful.

If you get some ignorant rep and can't get moved up to someone who knows that they are talking about, call a local installer.

Also IMO, it is worth getting the USB over the air (OTA) tuner. Dish no longer sells it directly, I bought mine off Amazon. It is really useful if you are a addict like me. I record all the late night talk shows (setting a limit of only holding 7 episodes), then I browse thru them to see if there are any guests I wanted to watch to decide if I watch it or not. Since that means recording 4 shows at once passed 10:30 for 2 hours, it can take up the tuners. Having the OTA extra tuner helps avoid conflicts. Especially since my default for all shows is to start 1 min early and end 3 min late. I hope in the future Dish actually allows 2 USB OTA's.

One last unrelated tip that I always give out: When the installer tech puts up your new dish INSIST that he take his signal tuner up on the roof and spend the time to get the absolute best signal he can. If there is anything that these 3rd party installers can be counted on doing is giving it a quick aim and not caring if it is perfect. A little rain or snow and you lose signal. I had the second installer spend an extra 10 minutes to squeeze 1% more out of the signal. He was grumpy about it but I tipped him $5 and he was happy. I've had to go re-tune many dishes for friends and family over the years due to lazy installers. Also he wanted to just run one coax line from the dish, but I asked him to run 2 just to future proof things.

Also note that the Hopper requires a completely new Dish. Something the first installer that came had no clue about. He spent 3 hours not understanding why the hopper couldn't find more than 2 satellites at best. So he cancelled the appt and they had a more experienced guy come out. He basically said "The other guy should have known this, we gotta train these noobies better." This was the same guy who finely tuned my dish to perfection. The new dish is black and looks like the image I attached to post.

If anyone reading this goes ahead and calls them for a 2 or 3 Hopper system, please post a reply with your experience. I've got my 2 hoppers + 211, but I'm curious if some of their reps are still confused about it. When I called back to place the actual order, the new rep I talked to told me he HAD to order my unit with a Joey because "it is not possible to display the Hopper on more than one TV" I explained to him that HDMI can be split and sent to different TV's and he said "No sir, I assure you that is impossible".. "No sir, I've been doing this for 10 years in multiple homes.. I assure you, you just aren't aware that HDMI splitters exist and people run HDMI all over their house. :)" Amazing the lack of training some of them have.

Hope this helps clear things up. :)

Attachments

• NewDishRequiredForHopper.jpg
    NewDishRequiredForHopper.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Dish has always allowed multiple Hoppers, up to four. They will only lease two and there may be an extra charge for the second and you have to buy any additional. I was one of the first Hopper installs with two Hoppers and two Joeys two years ago. They want at least one Joey per Hopper.

Last edited:
What IS a "722 dish"; NEVER heard of such one... :confused:

Beats me, I'm working on a Hopper now for pushing two years that works on the same dish that the its predecessor, the 722, worked on... But, then we've opened a thread that's over a year old.... ;)

Dish has always allowed multiple Hoppers, up to four. They will only lease two and there may be an extra charge for the second and you have to buy any additional. I was one of the first Hopper installs with two Hoppers and two Joeys two years ago. They want at least one Joey per Hopper.
Hi RGlore. Are you sure ALWAYS? Because when I first heard of it, I was told the rule was strict. Only one Hopper but older models like 722/211 were allowed. Perhaps this was a training issue with their reps and it has finally has gotten out to all their sales people.

As for your comment about them wanting a joey per hopper, you are right. When I ordered mine, the rep said "Sir there is no way I can even place the order without it including the Joey. Our computer won't allow us to place it that way. But just tell the installer that you don't need it, then it will be taken off your account". Since my wife and I are usually in different buildings (house and shop) when watching our content and have HDMI switch sending it out to other TVs, we figured why waste the monthly rental on the the Joey.

That picture is a 1000.2 dish, works for all non-ancient Dish receivers including Hoppers.
Sorry, improper wording. It is the 1000.2 dish, just black now - except the LNB's are different. Separated into 3 distinct nodes with a different type of switch in one of the LNBs. At least that is what the installer told me as to why the first installer couldn't get the Hopper to work with the Dish LNB's I had been using with my 722. He also took the DP44 switch out, as I think he said these new LNBs handle it. Is that correct? I appreciate you correcting my mistaken details.

Last edited:
In the beginning, system had to be all Hopper, no other receivers allowed on same account. Then later they allowed a single 211 or 411 added to a Hopper account to use for camping/tailgating. 1000.x dishes combine LNBs and a DPP switch in one assembly.

I didn't have any problems last February when I changed over to the Hopper/Joey system from VIP722ks. I just called up Dish CSR and told them I wanted four HWSs and one Joey. He said that another department will call me back later in the day. Received a call from the Hopper Executive Resolutions department and they fixed me up. I had two purchased HWSs from DishDepot.com waiting on the technician when he showed up with another two HWSs and one Joey. He wasn't real sure how to connect it all up so I told him what I had learned from fellow support member 3Halo0DST in this forum and showed him what to do. Everything works great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)