Dish as OTA antenna?

How far from this "neighboring DMA's" TV towers are you ? It's a really, long stretch to pick them up with an indoor antenna...

We're probably talking an hour, an hour and ten minutes, by car. I can't even pick up the local DMA signals, which are closer, with an indoor antenna. The best I've ever done is a digital signal for a single station in the local DMA that cuts in and out when it shows up at all and is basically unwatchable.

Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for the dish as an antenna idea (Though since the dish is external, I thought it *might* stand a chance at getting a channel or two), I just read some people talking about it, and wondered if I could try it by pressing a few buttons on my remote control. Turns out, I have the wrong model for anything like that. Was worth asking about, though.

Anyhow, as long as I'm discussing it, some folks have mentioned that I'm screwing up my terminology by calling the piece of metal on my roof a dish. So the metal shaped like a dinner dish is a receiver? What's the dish then? I assume there is a dish, since the name of the company is Dish Network. ;)

Yes, what you have on the roof is a dish, but it is not a 322 dish. A 322 is a receiver. Your dish might be a 300 if it is about 18" round, or a 500 if it is an oblong shaped dish about 24", or a 1000.x if it is somewhat bigger than that.

The thing on the roof is a dish; the black/silver box in your house connected to your TV is the receiver. :D

Some receivers (625, 622/722/722k/922, others) have two satellite tuners, and one or two Over-the-Air Tuners.

My point is if your tv is older an hd your internal tuner might not be up to date with the digital conversion and that might be the reason you are not picking up any channels.You may need a digital conversion box

You can also make a pretty nice antenna out of a 2x4 some flat washers and wood screws and some old steel coat hangers .Goolge home made hd antenna for step by step directions YouTube is also very helpful

Yes, what you have on the roof is a dish, but it is not a 322 dish. A 322 is a receiver. Your dish might be a 300 if it is about 18" round, or a 500 if it is an oblong shaped dish about 24", or a 1000.x if it is somewhat bigger than that.

The thing on the roof is a dish; the black/silver box in your house connected to your TV is the receiver. :D

Some receivers (625, 622/722/722k/922, others) have two satellite tuners, and one or two Over-the-Air Tuners.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm clear on the distinction now. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts