DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

This new offering will be a good marketing tool for Dish, but as for being a Netflix killer I don't see it happening until Dish has a lot more to offer.

ONCE AGAIN, this is NOT an attempt to meet or beat Netflix...at least for now. It is an outstanding competitive advantage that Dish now has over it's competitors.

ONCE AGAIN, this is NOT an attempt to meet or beat Netflix...at least for now. It is an outstanding competitive advantage that Dish now has over it's competitors.

like I said in a different thread...
:facepalm
It's going to be a long LONG week! :rolleyes:

I've seen this a couple of places. I like these numbers for BB a LOT better.
View attachment 69984

There is one BB store on my way to/from work. I could exchange in store, and potentially get more movies per month with 1 at a time BB than with 3 out at Netflix, and save $20 a month. As long as I can stream some kids stuff, it sounds good. Does BB have a page like Netflix where you can search their content?

I think my picture disappeared. New Blockbuster Service Won't Be Netflix Killer The pic is in that link. 130,000+ movies and TV shows. 34,000 streaming to PC and TV.

This is AWESOME news...a very nimble, well-thought execution on Dish's part, imho. I've been a DirectTV, Voom, Comcast and Dish TV sub over the years and a Netflix and now BB-by-Mail sub for Disc content--and the Dish/BB combo now takes the cake value-wise.

Dish covers the high/lo end subscriber who wants HD on a range of budgets like no one else in the pay TV market. And no surcharge for blu-ray and games included make BB's offering much better than Netflix's disc service (and if you have a BB store in your area, as we do, and can take advantage of unlimited in-store exchanges, it effectively multiplies your disc consumption rate possibilities). Dish needs something like this not just to fly in the face of a changing viewer expectations (less TV/couch-based more mobile PC-based, ala streaming vs 'broadcast'), but, quite honestly, stake its own against the Comcasts of the world w/ their vertical integrations and tons of 'free' VOD content offerings.

My ONLY two complaints with this deal, as it stands right now (and I know this is just the beginning of things here): 1) I wish existing BB subs could transfer/merge their queues and preferences, rather than cancel and re-setup. Kind of a PitA. 2) I wish there was an easier way to aggregate content/services alongside Dish OTHER than the GoogleTV settop. I have Amazon Prime, and would LOVE to see an app/portal on my Dish receiver--they NEED to partner with other sources too, or open up their boxes as 'Platforms' for consumption like the AppleTV et al, while maintaining their 'store' of content as the centerpiece.

In the end, I think Sling was a great first step and this is the second to Dish becoming a true 21st C media "player"...in fact, I say we start coming up with suggestions for their re-branding and name change. The "Dish" part is a bit limiting and will likely NOT describe the company's technological bread-winner in a few years if they're as smart as I suppose they are. Maybe they need to make the Echo more front-and-center in their branding (as in, did you see the latest Echo box, or Echo app upgade?)...

There is one BB store on my way to/from work. I could exchange in store, and potentially get more movies per month with 1 at a time BB than with 3 out at Netflix, and save $20 a month.
Nope! B&M for return only, no exchanges.

Late last evening I saw I had the old Blockbuster online streaming widget still on my TV and it is active. So I checked out a half dozen movie trailers. I am pleased to report that contrary to my previous experience the video and sound quality was excellent and in HD. This is not the monthly subscription service, obviously that is not available yet but it is the rental streaming service that had price ranges from $3.99 to $7.99. Let's hope the New DishNetwork Blockbuster Movie Pass streaming service will be of equal or better quality. Of so, I will be very happy.

For what it's worth (not much unless DIRT can confirm) but I had an online CSR chat today. She told me those with HD Plat & BB had to do nothing, that there would be a seamless merge that morphed the two seperate accounts etc. into one BMP package. We'll see...

As much as I'm excited about this, I'm afraid that excitement might be dampened with lack of closed captions. Will there be captions for movies that are streamed through the TV? If so, this may have me rethinking Netflix as their subtitle support plays a large part in why I stay with them. If the streamed content from Blockbuster supports captions/subtitles, I may be saying bye bye to Netflix.

Someone else mentioned this a couple pages back, and I agree with them; Scott, could you please create a closed sticky thread in it with just the facts of this new change? Plowing through several hundred posts looking for answers or facts (versus speculations), is something like slogging through quicksand, only slower. ;)

Thanks!

I'm a Netflix mail subscriber....two a month.....they have yet raised the fee........it's still $6.00...........If dish offers one disc out at a time for free for Platinum subscribers.....it's adios Netflix.

so, two discs at s time. Can it be set ul to pull one disc from movies and only on disc from games so I always have one from movies and one from games?

Character Zero said:
so, two discs at s time. Can it be set ul to pull one disc from movies and only on disc from games so I always have one from movies and one from games?

It's one disc at a time unless you pay more for additional discs out a time.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Now that would be a win if you could sell a box to folks for streaming and ota, but no satellite connection.

Dish's DTVPal DVR might do that with a software upgrade. It receives and records ATSC OTA and is broadband capable. Dish sold or licensed the rights to that machine to Channel Master.

It's one disc at a time unless you pay more for additional discs out a time.

Right, I understand that but what I am saying is can I "lock" one disc to movies and lock the other disc to games. I would rather have one disc be movies so when I send it back I will always get a movie, same with the game. Since I would play games longer than keeping a movie, I wouldn't want to end up with 2 games and go a month without a movie. I assume they are all in the same queue. So if I have say "movie, game, game, movie, movie, game" as my queue, if the movie was unavailable, then I might get 2 games. I figure the workaround is, when I have one disc as a game, while I am playing that game, all my movies are at the top of the queue so as I send movies back while playing the game I will get new movies. Once I am done with the game, move all my games to the top so I get a game when I send it back. make sense?

Ideally I would have separate movie and game queues. So one disc would always come from movies and one from games. If one queue was empty then both would come from the non-empty queue. Once the empty queue was filled, then the disc would go back to being pulled from that queue. I hope they would do something like this.

Sure if you are paying for two discs you can have 1movie, 1 game or two games, or two movies it's up to you. :)

Sure if you are paying for two discs you can have 1movie, 1 game or two games, or two movies it's up to you. :)

Yes, I do understand that. But what I want is control over what I get, I always want 1 movie and 1 game. If they are all mixed in the queue and things are unavailable or unreleased then I might end up with 2 movies or 2 games instead of forcing the 1 game 1 movie I want. I wanted to know if they have separate queues or a way to force 1 game 1 movie or if I have to set up my queue to make sure it pulls a movie when I send a movie back and a game when I send a game back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts