DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Of course, DN is using the plan to attract more new Dish customers, I can't really fault them for that The article tends to put Dish in a bad light because they are not offering a BB plan for non-Dish consumers. Let other cable/SAT providers go for the same market, difficult without a rental business partner, like BB. Maybe Netflix/Direct, or NF/Comcast? Who knows?

Dish streaming does have a way to go. I am not a slave to NF streaming as a regular viewer, but I think it is quite good. But just getting 1 disk at a time for 10 bucks (as a DN customer) is also pretty damn good, and for that reason see the BB Pass as a fair trade-off with NF. And I say that as a long standing NF customer seriously considering cutting the cord.

I selected"Quigley Down Under" in HD, after I did it said it needed 7 minutes.I waited 2 minutes then selected to watch it.It gradually caught up with the buffering and star to rebuffer,so it would seem that"adaptive streaming" needs a little work.This is with AT&T Elite DSL 6MB down and 764k up.:(

Was it in HD?.Yes it was and it looked better than any HD program I have ever view on NetFlix.:)

I'm getting occasional "Buffering..." pauses here trying to watch something called "The Next Three Days" from BBMP. I have 8MB Comcast, 722 hardwired to router.

I've had this about 4 days now. On Friday setup my queue on BB (copied my NF list, I am such a traitor). I've streamed 3 movies so far, which actually is above my
normal average. All in HD. They all looked acceptable and one was definitely above average. Also was surprised to see my receiver click over to DD 5.1. Only did it on one
of the movies. I don't think I've ever seen that on NF.
The movie search is still cumbersome and slow to respond. Same goes with the slow navigation for saving movies to watch later, etc.
But nothing I can not work with. I am running 15mb comcast, but most times when I check it seems to run around 20.
If the rentals turn out OK this looks like a keeper.

for me the movies what they have available to stream, isnt worth the headache of finding it, i guess im spoiled from streaming on netflix through the roku box, ive had this bb dish deal for almost 2 wks now and have only received 1 disk, with netflix i would have had 3 by now, so they definitely are not speedy, i had hoped with the streaming it would have been bb videos.

Well, that's a bummer! They told me Friday they were sending out my first disk and I should get it around or on Monday and I got it today.

Based on my location, NF dist. center was in Bakersfield, 100 miles away. BB is in San Jose, 150 miles away. I don't expect much difference.
But will see how consistent they are. There is little doubt Netflix has the mail system nailed down.

Is there still a discount if you pre-pay for a whole year? I saw mentioned earlier about existing customers paying $40 for one year of Blockbuster Movie Pass. I don't see that as an option online. Just the $10/mo option.

Thanks!

Is there still a discount if you pre-pay for a whole year? I saw mentioned earlier about existing customers paying $40 for one year of Blockbuster Movie Pass. I don't see that as an option online. Just the $10/mo option.

Thanks!

I never heard or seen that option or I certainly would have gone for it!

Thanks!
I have a hard time believing that Dish Network would offer BBMP at 67% annual rate savings. In fact, it seems so ridiculous, I have a hard time believing anyone would think they'd do it. I doubt they'd even offer just the one disc at a time at that rate.

Prepaying for a year of conventional TV programming with DISH Network only yields a free month. I can't imagine expecting 8 free months.

If you go through Blockbuster, I think the cost of BBMP is $14.95/month.

Thanks everyone. Earlier in this thread people were indicating that the $40/yr was for existing subs. Check post #149, etc. I think the deal was for new subs only. They would get Blockbuster Movie Pass for free for one year with the $40/mo Top 200 package or above and a two year contract.

Thanks!

OK, I wasn't paying attention and now there are 90 pages in this thread. Sorry I'm too lazy to go read them all now.

Is this a fair recap of what has changed?

- Since I was already subscribing to Platinum, and now see "Blockbuster Movie Pass" instead of "Platinum" in my account, I now have access to the Blockbuster 1-disc-at-a-time by mail and/or local store, for no additional charge. I just need to go ahead and complete the signup and start using it.
- The ViP622, 722 and 722k support the online streaming so I should start using that too.
- I still get all the same channels I used to call "Platinum."

Yes Pepper, that's about right. A couple of comments: signing up for BB at Dishnetwork.com is a one button (on your My Programming page) affair, if you already had Platinum. If you didn't have Platinum and want to sign up for BBMP first, that is about 4 button presses. ;) The 622 (and 612 and 922) don't have the adaptive streaming update yet, nor the new BBMP menu item. But you can still queue up movies to download, and then watch them almost immediately. (I tried this on a 612, as well as the 722 w/new menus.)

Prepaying for a year of conventional TV programming with DISH Network only yields a free month. I can't imagine expecting 8 free months.

If you go through Blockbuster, I think the cost of BBMP is $14.95/month.

If you click on the BBMP ad at the Blockbuster website, it just takes you to Dishnetwork... it should not cost you $14.95.

As an update, and after some 2 months of use, BMP is working fine. I don't find the movie select menu as slick as NF or BB mailings quite as fast, but overall find it worth $10 a month compared with almost 2X the cost from the red guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts