DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Roku is an excellent unit no doubt. I have 2 units already.
However, i want to watch my basic programming
From one source.
Plus let's not forget that this might be a prelude of things to come.
I'm not crazy about this. I pay dish for top tier programming not sure i feel like spending more money for basic cable programs they should carry already.
I love dish equipment! The best overall tv experience. I want to watch and record my favorite channels without having dish play this stupid shell game.

As someone stated earlier, it concerns me with how freely they are sending out these Roku boxes. This could be a sign of more channels being lost in the future because of 'diminished value' from streaming. The party will be over when the credits run out. In reviewing my DVR schedule I realized that 80% of my recordings were from a network Dish has had a recent dispute (Fox) and a network I probably won't be getting back (AMC). I am considering switching because of this. I am not angry about Dish's decision and I don't think the grass will be any greener at Direct, but it doesn't seem that Direct has disputes that are this confontational.

This is what I can't understand. Dish claims that with AMC providing their programming for streaming that it has become less of a value for Dish subs so they will not renew the contract. Then they turn around and say, "Hey, we're going to give you a free box so you can watch these programs without using Dish." What gives? I thinking Dish has much bigger plans for streaming then they are letting on. Something just doesn't feel right. The hairs on the back of my neck have raised up.

Ghpr13:usa2:

Roku is an excellent unit no doubt. I have 2 units already.
However, i want to watch my basic programming
From one source.
Plus let's not forget that this might be a prelude of things to come.
I'm not crazy about this. I pay dish for top tier programming not sure i feel like spending more money for basic cable programs they should carry already.
I love dish equipment! The best overall tv experience. I want to watch and record my favorite channels without having dish play this stupid shell game.

+1

Dee_Ann said:
And I'll bet money it pauses constantly to buffer. Youtube and CNN is totally unwatchable because of that. I wouldn't expect any other internet gadget to be any better.

But I'll take one none the less.

Do you go to dish.com/chat to complain?

It might be the access you get. I use my Wii for Netflix. Rarely buffers, is in SD, which surprisingly looks much better than Dish SD.

As someone stated earlier, it concerns me with how freely they are sending out these Roku boxes. This could be a sign of more channels being lost in the future because of 'diminished value' from streaming. The party will be over when the credits run out. In reviewing my DVR schedule I realized that 80% of my recordings were from a network Dish has had a recent dispute (Fox) and a network I probably won't be getting back (AMC). I am considering switching because of this. I am not angry about Dish's decision and I don't think the grass will be any greener at Direct, but it doesn't seem that Direct has disputes that are this confontational.
Kind of ironic about Dish saying that that AMC and possibly other networks having "diminished value" because of the streaming options, while Dish is eliminating channels. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

I see people's concerns on "diminishing value" of channels. Everyone has their breaking point. My personals are local sports and movies. My wife and kids', which I need to watch very closely, is Disney. I don't feel bad taking a free offer for a $60 valued piece of equipment, then down the road saying "sorry guys but you took something that is more valuable than your service. I don't plan on dropping Dish, and love having them, especially compared to cable. But it's a business. It's not like taking a free offer from Sears, then only going to Target from then on. At least in this situation we are continuing to use Dish.

The Fat Man said:
It might be the access you get. I use my Wii for Netflix. Rarely buffers, is in SD, which surprisingly looks much better than Dish SD.

Same here. I just get 2mb DSL here, and once the movie loads on Netflix for about 5 or 10 seconds, it plays all the way through no problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Dish should strike a deal with Amazon and add the Amazon streaming app to there DVRs, then you'd still be able to get AMC shows through your Dish equipment (although, not for free).

I don't believe for one second that Dish dropped AMC because of streaming and some perceived "diminished value." Like others have mentioned, I think it is all in spite for the Voom lawsuit, nothing more, nothing less.

Right, this roku thing is nice, but almost every new tv and blu-ray player have a lot of the same features: primarily: netflix, amazon, hulu+ As stated though, it is nice to have everything consolidated on one box.

Years ago we tried Tivo + netflix + HD locals and the free cable in our area. We managed, but eventually went back to dish. Then RedZone happened and we were SOLD. Here we are 3+ years later and are again considering our options because of these AMC shenanigans.

This is what I can't understand. Dish claims that with AMC providing their programming for streaming that it has become less of a value for Dish subs so they will not renew the contract. Then they turn around and say, "Hey, we're going to give you a free box so you can watch these programs without using Dish." What gives? I thinking Dish has much bigger plans for streaming then they are letting on. Something just doesn't feel right. The hairs on the back of my neck have raised up.

Maybe Dish is trying to show AMC how devalued they have become by having more people stream their content through Roku. In other words why should all dish subscribers pay a lot more for those four channels when they can get a Roku or other streaming device and not only get AMC's programs but a whole lot more stuff too. Not to mention sticking it to the Dolan's. Dish gave me a free Roku plus $10 a month credit to pay for what I want. They are keeping me happy.!!!

Maybe Dish is trying to show AMC how devalued they have become by having more people stream their content through Roku. In other words why should all dish subscribers pay a lot more for those four channels when they can get a Roku or other streaming device and not only get AMC's programs but a whole lot more stuff too. Not to mention sticking it to the Dolan's. Dish gave me a free Roku plus $10 a month credit to pay for what I want. They are keeping me happy.!!!

My question is this:

What if this becomes even more prevalent. Dish which already
makes a habit of pulling channels uses Roku as a pacifier.

To me the dish product becomes diluted and watered down.
Yes, Roku is fine. Some might be thrilled by this.
But Dish is making you go to a separate device that you
will have to pay for what you want.

Plus the quality is not ''always'' top notch.

This does not sound like a deal..Sorry.

Its easy and not that much of a mystery.
as Scott said in a post they do not want to do business amc.
Think about it if you took your car to the quick oil change and they left out the oil and you need a new motor and had to go to court to get compensation would you take your new car there?
Its not about money or programing dish is mad and they do not care how much they spend to hurt them .

Its easy and not that much of a mystery.
as Scott said in a post they do not want to do business amc.
Think about it if you took your car to the quick oil change and they left out the oil and you need a new motor and had to go to court to get compensation would you take your new car there?
Its not about money or programing dish is mad and they do not care how much they spend to hurt them .

Good point. Your on the money.

My question is this:

What if this becomes even more prevalent. Dish which already
makes a habit of pulling channels uses Roku as a pacifier.

To me the dish product becomes diluted and watered down.
Yes, Roku is fine. Some might be thrilled by this.
But Dish is making you go to a separate device that you
will have to pay for what you want.

Plus the quality is not ''always'' top notch.

This does not sound like a deal..Sorry.
I wouldn't say it was a "deal", however, having sub rates allegedly increasing 3 fold for just three or four channels (other than AMC the other channels weren't worth having) isn't a deal either, especially if everyone else follows suit. And of course, AMC wants that for every subscriber, not merely the people that watch AMC.

Dish is taking a gamble in saying, "We understand that you like that programming, so here is an alternative manner to watch it." People aren't complaining about losing 24/7 AMC, but rather access to their award winning programs which amount to just a small fraction bit of their overall programming schedule. The truth is, Dish is clearly trying to appease their customers while trying to keep sub rates sustainable.

I wouldn't say it was a "deal", however, having sub rates allegedly increasing 3 fold for just three or four channels (other than AMC the other channels weren't worth having) isn't a deal either, especially if everyone else follows suit. And of course, AMC wants that for every subscriber, not merely the people that watch AMC.

Dish is taking a gamble in saying, "We understand that you like that programming, so here is an alternative manner to watch it." People aren't complaining about losing 24/7 AMC, but rather access to their award winning programs which amount to just a small fraction bit of their overall programming schedule. The truth is, Dish is clearly trying to appease their customers while trying to keep sub rates sustainable.

Absolutely a fair point. However, dish has a practice of doing this. Pulling
stations down.

At this point its hard to say really who is right or wrong.
Is it just a coincidence that AMC is owned by Rainbow
and the lawsuit is ongoing with Voom?
I doubt it and sounds like payback to me.

Does anyone know if the AMC programming is all on Amazon Prime? If so, that is my workaround until (or if) they ever settle this thing.

BTW, E*? It's dangerous to push me towards streaming. I pay $$$ to you for access to content, and there is a LOT of content now available for free streaming with a small fee (Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime). Do you REALLY want to force us all to get comfortable with this system? You might be slitting your own throats instead of Rainbow Media's......

My next wish is for MLB.TV to let me have access to my local sports online (they black it out now). I've given up waiting for E* to ever cave and offer it again (and if you are in the nyc DMA like me, make sure you call and complain. You are paying for an RSN that you don't get (even though there are three available... MSG, SNY, and YES).

First Charlie came for the regional sports networks, and I said nothing because I don't watch sports.
Then Charlie came for AMC, IFC, We and Sundance- I said nothing because I don't watch those channels and got a free Roku
Finally Charlie came for TNT and TBS saying they have 'diminished value', and nobody was left to speak for me

Obviously this is a joke, but you get my point.

In a way I think the free roku deal just reinforces what Charlie said from the start.He said AMC networks had devalued their content by offering most of it online.What better way to show that than to give away free roku players.

There also is just a hint of resentment due to the voom debacle.;)

BTW, E*? It's dangerous to push me towards streaming. I pay $$$ to you for access to content, and there is a LOT of content now available for free streaming with a small fee (Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime). Do you REALLY want to force us all to get comfortable with this system? You might be slitting your own throats instead of Rainbow Media's......

I was thinking the same thing. Right now I'm really thinking about dropping from 250 down to 120 and picking up the shows that I'll miss online. Some things I can catch on Netflix which I already have (I'll just have to wait a little longer) of if I don't want to wait, just get them from Amazon. I can also "rent" movies from Amazon for less than a PPV on dish. Add in Epix streaming included with my internet service and I'll be set.

So Dish has dropped one of the networks that kept me on a higher tier. Every time I thought about switching my next thought was "Walking Dead! Walking Dead!". Now they are giving me a device that I can use to get the other shows keeping me on a higher tier.

I also wonder how much money AMC gets from Amazon for each episode sold. I doubt that it will make up for what they lost from being droped by Dish, but I'm sure it will help. And a good bit of that cash is coming courtesy of Dish credits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)