DISH Energizes Hopper Platform at CES!

If at the end of it all you can't integrate tuners between hoppers then adding the Super Joey just for the additional tuners is tempting for me. As Scott mentioned the two hopper setup is better. I can't see myself replacing one of the hoppers with the Super Joey.

Not sure of this is possible, but what about replacing a Joey with a SJ, and a two Hopper system, talk about tuners!
Won't work... not enough Moca bandwidth. This is a question I asked... Video to be posted in the next few minutes. (Its almost done uploading!)

If at the end of it all you can't integrate tuners between hoppers then adding the Super Joey just for the additional tuners is tempting for me.

That's my thinking. I have one Hopper and two Joeys currently. I would like having a couple extra tuners...but would MUCH prefer the additional tuners be fully integrated, one set of timers, etc...and not have the switching involved with multiple hoppers.

A super Joey has to connect via coax, at least I believe so. It's 2 tuners then send the decoded (decrypted) signal over MOCA (and possibly cat5 or wifi Ethernet) to the Hopper for recording and trick play; then back to the SJ for playback if needed. Maybe to the "cleanest" way to gain 2 more tuners to the Hopper but if it works, an effective solution.

Scooter:

.. ..-. -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . .-. . .- -.. .. -. --. - .... .. ...

-.-- --- ..- .... .- ...- . - --- --- -- ..- -.-. .... - .. -- .
--- -. -.-- --- ..- .-. .... .- -. -.. ... :yes Unless it is just like reading any other signature ...

The interview seemed to indicate the only way to have two Hoppers with a Super Joey was to split the Hoppers into two zones.

What I wasn't too clear on was the connection to the Super Joey. I assume that it has a CAT 5 jack so it will connect via the Home LAN to the Hopper. But how does it connect via MOCA if the dish connection is direct to the LNB and not to the Solo or Duo node?

It will be good to see the wiring diagrams for the various Hopper/Joey/Super Joey setups.

The interview seemed to indicate the only way to have two Hoppers with a Super Joey was to split the Hoppers into two zones. What I wasn't too clear on was the connection to the Super Joey. I assume that it has a CAT 5 jack so it will connect via the Home LAN to the Hopper. But how does it connect via MOCA if the dish connection is direct to the LNB and not to the Solo or Duo node? It will be good to see the wiring diagrams for the various Hopper/Joey/Super Joey setups.
sounded like it passes mocha through the LNB.

Very cool! Depending on the pricing I will probably be replacing my standard Joey in my 1H/1J setup with a Super Joey to get the extra tuners. If it saves any money I will replace the second hopper in my parents 2H/2J setup with a Super Joey too. Even if it's the same price I might do it for them.

They are technologically challenged so both Joeys are paired to 1 hopper so they can easily find all of their recordings. That means that they sometimes have tuner conflicts on the Joeys even though the 2nd hopper has tuners available. This integrated setup of 1 hopper with 5 available tuners sounds much better for them.

I believe it will cost the same as a regular hopper.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

So $12.00 ? Then what is the incentive to go with the super joey at all then? Unless you meant the same as a Joey , then it would only be $7.00 a month. I would definitely think about replacing my second hopper if I could avoid the $12.00 a month fee for the 2nd hopper. I would only lose one tuner and save the $5.00 a month fee. I would also have all of my tvs on one home network instead of two now.

Last edited:
So $12.00 ? Then what is the incentive to go with the super joey at all then?

I think they would be crazy to charge $12 for a super Joey but if they did the incentive for me would be integration. All 5 tuners available to all TVs and one list of recordings and timers.

Ease of integration?

A HWS and SJ can dynamically use the tuners as needed. Where with a two hopper system, you still have to set timers for each hopper and manually ensure that you do not have conflicting timers.

Your recordings are also split across your Hoppers in a two Hopper system.

Those are about the only advantages that I can think of.

Thats pretty cool, I would have much rather seen an add on box like the USB Ota tuner to just add the tuners to the Hopper that way.

I think from an install stand point, a super joey may be easier to install.

Now Its just a matter of time when Directv comes out with a Super Genie and provide 8 real tuners

.... I would only lose one tuner and save the $5.00 a month fee. I would also have all of my tvs on one home network instead of two now.

And lose the recording space and redundancy of a second Hopper.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

And lose the recording space and redundancy of a second Hopper.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

More recording space is always a plus but I'd gladly give up the extra space for full integration. This is especially true if we see some price savings over a 2nd hopper. EHDs can give me as much drive space as I want but 2 hoppers can't give me full integration. At least not yet.

As for redundancy... How often are you guys having equipment failures. Out of the last 10 years my family has had Dish for about 6 of those years. We have only had to have a box replaced once in those 6 years and that was in the 921 days. My dish hardware has always been very reliable. I'm not all that worried about a hardware failure and if it happens I can make it a couple days while I wait for a new box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)