Dish flop

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dl76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
South Carolina
Hey guys got a question. When the 24 inch venture gets extended to about 18 to 20 inches the dish flops over. Is there a problem with the actuator? Or is the dish to heavy for it.?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The actuator arm is moving too close to the polar axis (dish pivot)
as it's extended. Move the stationary mount point for the actuator away from the pole. Pictures would help.
Don't do this too often, you may end up with a bent actuator.

Reactions: dl76
Even without pictures, I can say, that main cause of flopping is - not properly chosen actuator's connection point. To prevent flopping you need to do some hardware adjustments.

dl76, Look at my last post on the 'Got a bigger dish' thread.I made a plate out of scrap.Only 3 or 4 inches really moved the actuator out enough to make a huge difference when the actuator extends.That might be all you need.
Here's a pic of the RETAIL plate attached on a mount.It's the triangle shaped thingie that the actuator is bolted to:
actuator_plate3.jpg

Reactions: dl76
To minimize the tendency to flop, make sure that the motor is mounted on the side of the mount that has the lowest satellite elevation in the arc. If the satellites are lowest to the horizon on the east side of the arc, mount the actuator arm on the east side of the mount. If the west side of the arc has the lowest elevation satellite, mount the actuator arm on the west side of the mount. If the lowest satellite elevation is the same on either end of the arc, place the actuator arm on the side that has the prevailing wind load.

To increase count resolution between satellites and allow the dish to cover more of the arc without flop, bolt or weld a "L" bracket similar to the this example blue "L" bracket onverlayed on armadillo_115's photo.

Anti-Flop_ L-Bracket.jpg

To increase count resolution between satellites and allow the dish to cover more of the arc without flop, bolt or weld a "L" bracket

L bracket huh? That's interesting.I was going to extend mine with just a straight piece of angle iron... but was afraid that would require a much longer actuator to swing it thru the arc.If a straight extension doesn't work,now I know what to try next.Thanks Titanium!
I will try a straight one first because the attachment points are sooo close on my dish.I have to clamp near the end of the actuator.Will that still help on the flop problem?

How a 10' Winegard Pinnacle does it;

100_0471.JPG 100_0453.JPG 100_0472.JPG 100_0472 - Copy.JPG
24" actuator but an 18" would have been plenty.Of course for me it's kind of pointless as everything to the east side is pretty much blocked by trees and buildings.

Reactions: norman881
A straight extension will add counts, but doesn't significantly change the angle in relation to the pivot point. The "L" leg shifts the angle away from the pivot to provide increasd push/pull range before the flop.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)