Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

Finally happened at 12:00 AM Mtn Denver CO .... KUSA Channel #9, and KTVD #20 (both Gannett) went blank .... so switching to OTA for now :)

Sorry for the interruption of service. There is no need to call us. We are aware that this TV station is temporarily unavailable and we will have this channel back as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
I've been a DISH subscriber since 1996. I sucked AMC up. Now I've had it losing KTHV-11 Little Rock CBS. Enough is enough.

ok ...@12:35 AM MST (it had been 35 minutes since screens went blank) Denver Gannett programming is back on screen, both Channel #9 and #20. Not sure if that's a mistake or if they've had an agreement or decided to stay on air until they negotiate ?

Last edited:
Dish / Gannett Dispute?

Either way, they had their press release ready, this is from a couple hours ago.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268815/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=8ZOXWunU

Statement From DISH Regarding Dispute With Gannett Broadcasting
- Marketwire - Oct 5, 2012
ENGLEWOOD, CO--(Marketwire - October 5, 2012) - DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) issued the following statements attributable to Dave Shull, DISH senior vice president of Programming:

DISH has been unable to reach an agreement with Gannett Broadcasting because Gannett has made it clear in documented proposals that it wants DISH to pay a significant penalty for allowing our customers access to AutoHop, a commercial-skipping technology available on our Hopper Whole-Home DVR. Consumers have had the right to skip commercials since the advent of the remote control. We are simply providing consumers with the choice to watch what they want, when they want.

We have agreed to pay a significant increase in fees to continue to carry Gannett's local stations, more than 200 percent, the same as our closest direct competitor. But Gannett wants money on top of that for the expressed reason that our customers have access to AutoHop. We will continue to take a stand for customer choice and control.

The rest of the release says what autohop and ptat are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dish / Gannett Dispute?

It's off here, so time to make good on my threat. OTA for the adjacent market's ABC affiliate and ABC's website for any shows I might miss. Screw Gannett.

Wouldn't be surprised if it popped back on with the other markets lighting back up. Seems like DISH might have picked up the phone and wanted to talk some more after Gannett started turning markets dark.

News of either side declaring victory yet to break on Twitter though so who knows how long them talking will keep them on the air.

Dish / Gannett Dispute?

MCLEAN, Va., Oct. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- At this time, Gannett and Dish are continuing to negotiate. In order to provide additional time to reach a deal, both sides have agreed to extend the deadline by several hours.

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1prki)

Still on (WUSA9) here at 3:30AM EST, but I do not hold out much hope for that continuing. How much luck has anyone had with "moving"? My local Richmond market to the south has not been affected, and I wanted Richmond locals anyway (hubby did Ot), so if I call and ask for the switch, how should I phrase the question?

The NBC and MyNetwork (both owned by Gannet) are both still on in Atlanta and the info station indicating the networks could be pulled has been taken down. I'm still not holding out a lot of hope as I wouldn't be surprised if it was pulled later. SNF looked awful last night with the constant screen shrinks and scrolls about the dispute.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)