DISH Hacked - Websites are BACK ONLINE!

Having worked for a major service provider for over 30 years I can tell you this is a major deal. While it is true some of the Dish infrastructure is still functioning, this is probably why this is not all over the national news.

If reception of programming begins to drop then the news media will jump all over it. One thing is for sure, they need to a very close look at hiring a new IT department.

I see a class action lawsuit sometime in months to come.
Why? There is no evidence data was stolen as of yet. Ransomware works enough by locking the entire system down and companies trying to figure out how to restore the entire system, every single computer.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It has been 14 years since I opened my account with Dish and can't remember, but do they require a SSN when you activate their service? When I signed up, I had what I think was called a flex account and have never had a contract I was tied into - and I can't recall if they required SSN.
Time to freeze the three credit bureaus! I did it a few years ago and it's a lot of peace of mind...too many breaches to feel comfortable allowing a credit line to be opened without my knowledge.

It has been 14 years since I opened my account with Dish and can't remember, but do they require a SSN when you activate their service? When I signed up, I had what I think was called a flex account and have never had a contract I was tied into - and I can't recall if they required SSN.
I opened mine decades ago! I have no idea what they have of mine.

Yes Im sure you did,as they do credit checks on you for service.

Yep...The cats out of the bag now..Charlie can't hide it any longer...Those of you that pay using debt cards are now subject to your account being hacked..Never pay bills with debit card..Credit card companies will take care of unauthorized charges..Banks won't..
My bank debit card is issued by Mastercard and verified losses are reimbursed within 24 hours.

Yes Im sure you did,as they do credit checks on you for service.
When I opened my account in 2008 as a pay-as-you-go month to month plan, all they asked for was a credit card number, billing address, and service address. I've never gone on contract since then, so no additional info has been required.

When I opened my account in 2008 as a pay-as-you-go month to month plan, all they asked for was a credit card number, billing address, and service address. I've never gone on contract since then, so no additional info has been required.
That is the type of account I have. The pay as you go setup. Never have had a contract either.

Ok stupid question. With all the hacking and such or just plain old OPPPSSS! Wouldn't they have an offline back up operating system with a backup copy of everything just for this! And a very unlikely but not impossible they simply closed the doors and walked away.

I agree it's extremely unlikely. I just can't wrap my head around a company of this size not prepared for this. And for it to be affecting them so severely that almost everything is down.

I find it hard to believe they had all these systems tied together like this. I am guessing they didn't have things segmented by VLAN. When my office got Cyber Insurance we had to implement all these things. This way if we did get attacked only one segment would go down. And we have numerous backups including backups two offsite locations as well as two different tape backups system so we can actually go back to restore points for over a year.