Dish is forcing banner ads on premium channels.

The silence from the Dish reps is deafening. Turn off the banners, ads and the 3 am DVR junk. Or give me a way to turn it all off.

The silence from the Dish reps is deafening. Turn off the banners, ads and the 3 am DVR junk. Or give me a way to turn it all off.

Lol .... like they are going to stop because of a few posts. People not on the forums probably could care less. In fact, they may be calling Dish to find out what Dishonline is and how to use it. They have downloaded programming for years, and I have actually started watching a couple of shows because of it. Why not just switch to another provider that does neither of these things and be happy? Even if you are in a contract, you obviously are very bothered by Dish.

I finally got to see the banner last night, I had thought it would not be much of a problem, it's even less.

Last edited:
Made one of my relatives mad enough to give Dish the boot after 7 years.

Then they were looking to leave anyway. No sane person is going to switch providers over a 3 second banner, which I will point out does not affect the recording if you record it. Maybe they will like Direct TV better. Oh, wait, they do it too. Ok, Charter Cable then, oh, wait again, they do it too, .......I'm guessing others also.

It's amusing how stupid this decision was to put this ad up on the screen, and even more amusing that the dish guy at the beginning of the thread has opted out of saying anything else. How dumb. Then they wonder why people are leaving satellite tv and cable in droves. DURH.

[FONT=&quot]Hey I understand that this banner is frustrating. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I have DISH myself and I have noticed the changed too. I have been passing this feedback along. Right now there is nothing that I or any other DIRT member would be able to do to stop this from popping up.
[/FONT]

That would be a good answer, except it's wrong. Satellite subscriptions are up and even for Cable while down, in droves looks like hyperbole. As Scott says about Dish, they must be doing something right.

Cable TV viewing is down, satellite up - Erie Inc. - GoErie.com/Erie Times-News
"A new Nielsen study shows consumers are cutting the cable TV cord, but not for the Internet."
Instead they're signing up with satellite operators and phone companies offering the same services."

And
Cable subscriptions down, telco up in latest SNL Kagan data - FierceCable

Also, reading the reports, it is more information as to what lead Dish not to pay big bucks for RSN's in NY.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Hey I understand that this banner is frustrating. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I have DISH myself and I have noticed the changed too. I have been passing this feedback along. Right now there is nothing that I or any other DIRT member would be able to do to stop this from popping up.
[/FONT]

Thanks for acknowledging the thread and at least passing the feedback along to dish.

[/FONT]

It would seem that if the option to turn the banner stuff off were available, it would then accomodate both groups of people, those that don't mind it and those that do mind it. Additionally, the banner would still achieve Dish's goal of making people aware of these additional options that are available to them.

jmel said:
It's amusing how stupid this decision was to put this ad up on the screen, and even more amusing that the dish guy at the beginning of the thread has opted out of saying anything else. How dumb. Then they wonder why people are leaving satellite tv and cable in droves. DURH.
Yeah, because this banner makes getting Starz for free for 12 months completely irrelevant.

Yeah, because this banner makes getting Starz for free for 12 months completely irrelevant.

Again, what does one have to do with the other? If it was advertising the free Starz channels, you might have a point. Otherwise, you might stop with the meaningless analogies that don't relate to the issue.

yaz96 said:
Again, what does one have to do with the other? If it was advertising the free Starz channels, you might have a point. Otherwise, you might stop with the meaningless analogies that don't relate to the issue.
I thought the connection would have been quite obvious. He is noting that people are leaving in droves from Sat TV. However, when a service like Dish Network offers a premium set of channels for free for 12 months to all subscribers, I've got to think that maybe, just maybe Dish Network is trying to retain their customers, and are probably accomplishing that as well. Gee... do I let my sensitivity over a 3 second banner that flashes with the channel banner that isn't trying to sell me anything override the fact I'm getting the Starz collection for free... for 6 more months?

Secondly, Dishonline is free as well. They aren't advertising anything, rather informing the paying customer about more options they are already paying for... and are doing so for only a few seconds, along with the channel banner.

This has got to be one of the larger mountain out of a molehill issues to hit Dish Network in a while. If people would less up the hypersensitivity, maybe they'd get more out of their Dish Network experience.

This doesn't affect me much since the majority of what I watch live is sports and news (with everything else being DVRed). But I have run across it a couple of times and it is a little jarring and in your face. It'd be nice to be able to disable it in the menu system, but it is certainly not a dealbreaker. I have not noticed a delay in channel changing that some have reported. If that were to happen, then it'd be a completely different story.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

What the heck is the big deal? It goes off w/ the info banner @ the top, or faster if you hit the cancel button. The remote is already in your hand, why not just "cancel"?

That takes WORK!! You have to press a button!!!!!!!!!

What the heck is the big deal? It goes off w/ the info banner @ the top, or faster if you hit the cancel button. The remote is already in your hand, why not just "cancel"?
First ... because the cancel button does not always make it go away ... I have noticed that in the evening as more watching is done, the Cancel Button gets less and less attention with these annoyances. I end up hitting cancel ... and then unsure if it was read ... press again... only to end up with the receiver *not* responding to the first or second button press until what ever default count down ends, and the channel banner/ad would normally disappear on its own.. *THEN* I get the flash up and down again of the channel banner because those two cancel presses were sitting there waiting to execute.

OBVIOUSLY something is going on.. and dish ... as is the issue.. doesn't care one rats a** for what the customers do or don't want.

And again putting in BS about "dishonline" being free.. just because you get served a pile of dog sh*t for free doesn't mean you can't find indignation and resentment for it.

And again.. DishOnline is still broken ... so again.. you can not use that as an argument for why the ads are beneficial. Also while DishOnline's other content comes from some premium aggregation, there is a majority of TV content that it brings from HULU, which IN FACT is commercialized, and you can't skip through. At least with the Sling Adapter ... IF THE SERVICE WAS WORKING ... would allow me to skip commercials in prerecorded content or to pause live tv content and then skip over the commercial blocks (in some hap-hazard form).

Stop the bitching back at people that don't want it.. many of us have only requested that we be given the choice to turn these things OFF in a menu choice just like the banner ads in the guide. Don't begrudge us what we want ... Dish could have done this initially and it would have been far less a problem ... but no.. dish is just being dish as usual

TG2 said:
Stop the bitching back at people that don't want it.. many of us have only requested that we be given the choice to turn these things OFF in a menu choice just like the banner ads in the guide. Don't begrudge us what we want ... Dish could have done this initially and it would have been far less a problem ... but no.. dish is just being dish as usual

Have you called Dish or done a live chat with the request. Granted, we now have DIRT reps here and taking note, but I'd imagine that the traditional forms of lodging complaints are still the most effective; especially since this site is not run by Dish.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I do not like pop up banner adds anywhere, especially on my tv. I also do not like channel logos on my tv screen either. Just a clean uncluttered picture. With that said the banner adds that are being referenced to in this thread are not going to cause me to change providers. It would be nice if Dish would make them an option, along with the channel information at the top of the screen, but at least I only see this when I change channels. Not a deal breaker........

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)