Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

Sorry to hear it.

I get 6 OTA HD channels, but unfortunately, they are the networks! :) So there is nothing worth watching on them.

Last thing I watched on them was a football game last Saturday.

I probably should start checking the listings for any HD movies on the networks. But with the commercials, and having been edited for time, I usually can't stand to watch them on a network channel.

Tom Bombadil said:
Sorry to hear it.

I get 6 OTA HD channels, but unfortunately, they are the networks! :) So there is nothing worth watching on them.

Last thing I watched on them was a football game last Saturday.

I probably should start checking the listings for any HD movies on the networks. But with the commercials, and having been edited for time, I usually can't stand to watch them on a network channel.
Then you can understand what I'm talking about.... VOOM and HDNET were the pits today...

I'm watching NUMB3ERS in better quality than I can get from E* HD right now...

Last edited:
gdarwin said:
Then you can understand what I'm talking about.... VOOM and HDNET were the pits today...

I think we know where ESPN2HD is going on 110 then. Looks like the rumors are Marc Cuban having contracted for exclusive use of the transponder may be false.

HDNet hasn't been messed with as far as I know. also it looks like ESPN2 will not be going as well. IF HDNet does get messed that will start some ticks even more. I'd be more easy on dish if they had a legitament bandwidth problem, but on 110 they have 1 transponder with only 1 SD channel on it and the 1280 voom situation is not being done to save them more transponders either.

That is what they told me and then he said you will

gdarwin said:
Just called in my complaint about PQ on VOOM channels to E*. All VOOM channels are breaking up, freezing, and audio dropping out. The CSR verified that I had a good signal off 61.5 and had me check the local SD feed... Put me on hold. Came back and verified they are still having problems with the VOOM channels.
I did not get a credit, instead he asked me to call in when I noticed the problem fixed. At that time they would issue me a credit for time the service was out... Did not make an issue of it and thanked him for his time. At least one more complaint got logged...[/QUOTE
see it on the next bill .....so I WILL MARK MY CALENDER and go from here with the next complaint !!

mcmcmc,

I have no idea what that means...

Anyway, I called in again and got my credits for HD pac and Voom for this month.

While talking to the CSR, he had no idea of the Internet forums going on about this problem. ...

Just a little update for you guys and to confirm that Dish is not screwing around with our HD pak, I have been seeing the awful pixelization and freeze up today also, included are massive errors in the streams which are crashing my recording equipment :(

and just to add, all future HD is going on 61.5 and 129(this is according to a source in the pub)

first of all the HDNets have not been touched in any way quality wise, they are still the same 1920x1080i 17 Mbps that they have always been

Discovery HD Theater is still the same 1920x1080i 13 Mbps
ESPN is still the same 1280x720p 14 Mbps
Showtime from 110 is same and is taking the blunt of the 3 per transponder HD, it's still 1920x1080i with 10.25 Mbps video
HBO is the same still

ALL HD on 110 are the same as they were 6 months ago, nothing has been tinkered with on 110

now on to Voom:

All Voom are still 1280x1080i and are basically the same as when the change occured

Rave's bitrate is up to around 14.5 Mbps, it was around 11/12 Mbps a few days back
(you can't shine turds with higher bitrate Dish ;))

Majestic/GuyTv are in the 9.50 Mbps range and look worse than ever

bottom line is that Voom are basically identical to the night of the switch

do not give up yet folks, we must keep emailing and calling Dish to complain and tell them that their loyal HD subs will not stand for this nor pay for it

a couple emails saying things will change are not enough to convince me

DishQuality@echostar.com

-Gary

Last edited:
I was watching Voom tonight and I can confirm that ALL the channels are messed up with similar symptoms. The audio drops out and then the screen pixellates a little. The picture is actually does not look half bad and I can live with it.

Also HDNet's problem are worse! the program will freeze and will be stuck until you change the channels. was no frequency to it. it happened then, 3 minutes later, than twice in the same minute. I dunno if dish is using some crappy encoders or what but these problems are not good! :(

Gary you can't be so close minded. Just because nothing's tinkered with your numbers doesn't mean there are still changes that can happen.

BFG said:
Also HDNet's problem are worse! the program will freeze and will be stuck until you change the channels. was no frequency to it. it happened then, 3 minutes later, than twice in the same minute. I dunno if dish is using some crappy encoders or what but these problems are not good! :(

Sometimes glitches are attributable to the source (*cough* NBC *cough*), but since there hasn't been any similar complaints from cable or DirecTV viewers (and I can attest that at least during Greg the Bunny I had no problems with HDnet), Dish must be messing with it even though it hasn't shown up in Gary's numbers.

Thanks Hitachi ;)

There is nothing really more that Dish can do but fix the resolution and change bitrates, thats what we are wanting

they can adjust encoder parameters all day, but like I said you can't shine 1280x1080i turds with picture tweaking

The HDNets have not changed at all, I am still fairly certain that Cuban has a contract with Dish to not mess with those channels, they ARE the ONLY HD channels on Dish passed thru untouched from the source

ESPN 2 rumored to be added to the HDNet transponder is untrue, ESPN 2 is going on 129 and 61.5, check the Pub forum

I am seeing these lockups, pixelization freezes on most of all HD channels on Dish, including HBO/Showtime from 148, HDNets, Vooms and others

I also check Dish's HD streams for errors quite regularly, HDNet has been 98% perfect for a long time now, since august at least, (they usually have 2 to 3 micro errors every 2 hours or so), being the HDNets are passed thru(not re-encoded) this is a problem in the chain somewhere, but I am seeing it on more than the HDNets, as I noted above

All HD channel's that are acting up are now filled with serious errors, and I mean bad :(

I suggest we email Dish about it

no way about it, I think our HD world on Dish is about to be shook up, that can be good or bad, we will have to see ;(

If we believe Dish, about meeting's and a solution was made about Voom, I am gonna go out on a limb and say we could be seeing preparation for all HD being moved to 129 and 61.5 and possibly being given good treatment with that move

-Gary

Last edited:
Gary Murrell said:
All HD channel's that are acting up are now filled with serious errors, and I mean bad :(

Have the pushed the symbol rate/fec too far? Maybe there's a solar or atmospheric condition today that's especially noticible on Dish HD channels because they use 8PSK? Are wires crossed at the uplink center? (I'd question whether there was power or transponder failures, but that's ruled out because it's happening across multiple satellites.)

Tom Bombadil said:

For right now, I am just leasing an 811, but buying the 962 is looking better and better to me. I will have less movie choices than you because can only get PBS, ABC, and FOX in HD OTA due to geography.

Last edited:
WOW...HDNet is horrible today! The PQ is still there, but I was just watching Naked Gun on HDNet Movies, and the screen pixellated/froze at least once every 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure what Dish is screwing with in all of this mess, but it sure would be nice to flip the switch back about 2 weeks to when everything WORKED and LOOKED right!!! :(

DWS44 said:
WOW...HDNet is horrible today! The PQ is still there, but I was just watching Naked Gun on HDNet Movies, and the screen pixellated/froze at least once every 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure what Dish is screwing with in all of this mess, but it sure would be nice to flip the switch back about 2 weeks to when everything WORKED and LOOKED right!!! :(
Email Dish and let them know whats going on now we haft to keep hammering away and help them by letting them know whats going on and we are in tune with what there doing! DishQuality@echostar.com

I keep hearing all these people abd sites talking about the 962 when there is no such thing. :)

Kind of funny.

Yes Dish will have a HD DVR, but what it is might surprise you. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)