Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

Ron Tobin said:
I sent another email yesterday, and got the standard reply which never really addressed the specifics of my complaint. But what I found particulary interesting was that I sent it with a Read Receipt requested. Their system forwarded my email to several departments within their organization, and I've gotten at least 10 replys back that say "deleted without being read" as indicated below:
Your message
To: #Cheyenne - TOC Team Leaders; #Gilbert - Broadcast Ops
Subject: FW: Voom Resolution
Sent: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:10:06 -0700
was deleted without being read on Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:31:58 -0700

They probably just have a filter set up now on their mailboxes for anythign with Voom in the subject. Bet they are sick of hearing about it. laff.

I jsut got my 61.5 dish installed guys btw. Im going to say im not that impressed the WOW just aint there on those channels well cept for the Demo channel that has the pop that they all should. Is the demo in a different res?

Ok, so that I don't have to read all 60+ pages how about a brief synopsis.

Are the channels all still HD Lite?

Is there any concrete info aon what is and isn't going to happen?

My understanding is the thing that set E* above D* is the number and quality of its HD feed. If the channels are now down-rezzed, then there is no "advantage" except that there are a few more channels. I see that there is some hope that by CES to have some answers.

If I've missed something please feel free to add it. Or, an update to the situation in the inital post might be a good spot to post updates. It jsut saves a lot of time.

Having a Dish 1000 installed tomorrow. I hope I didn't jump the gun- don't really want HD Lite.

Also, I was told it was the first Dish 1000 for the installer- could get interesting.....

JM, the Demo is running at a wonderful 1920x1080i/17 Mbps Video, basically the best HD on Dish, kinda funny that the best HD channel on Dish is what is shown in showrooms?? :mad: that wasn't a mistake and it pisses me off :mad:
J Rod you basically have it right, no advantage over Directv's sh*t at all if they downrez, all Voom are 1280x1080i and CBS HD from 61.5 is now 1440x1080i
-Gary

Hey I would like to say that my installer seemed very knowlegable about whats going on with VOOM. He said the reason that they dropped the quality and bit rates are they are doing some maintnance on the SAT getting it prepped for turbo 8psk or something liek that and also getting it prepped for Mpeg 4. He said they are doing 1/2 the sat at a time so people wouldnt loose any channels during the transition. Thats just what he told me :)

Without IM'ing Charlie or infiltrating the Dish Network corporate ladder there really aren't many other 'sources'. ;)

Last edited:
no change to Voom as of today(except all channels are at really low bitrates now) and with what was posted in the Pub forum, I doubt there will be :mad:

-Gary

Last edited:
Gary...I think it sucks to be so closed in what they are doing. Why not be honest and straight forward with your customer and let them know what is happeneing. I don't buy the arguement that it is trade secret so that D* doesn't get it. D* already knows everyting E* is going to do and visa-versa. Just us dumb customers who are kept in the dark and getting angrier by the momet. This is not necessary. I am not happy about what I read in the PUB about their plans.

If they would keep the current mpeg2 HD content(including the Voom 10) at full rez 1920x1080i I would be happy, take everything from now on in and make it mpeg4 and be done with it

-Gary

Broken record, same old tune :mad:, No changes to Voom as of this morning

I honestly think that how they are now is how things are gonna be for mpeg2 :(, Dish has ruined my Christmas by destroying my beloved MonstersHD and CBS East

-Gary

You know this is really ironic that I come across this thread today. I just recently got a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 SXRD, this is my first HDTV and upgraded my Dish service to the basic HD pack. HDNET looked so amazing that I called Dish back and the Sattelite guy is going to be here this morning (probably within a few minutes) to install another dish so I can get VOOM.

But apparently it is going to be only 1280x1080???? :(

This is a huge thread to read through, but it looks like this will be permanent, could somemone summarize what the current status of this issue is? I will probably definitely see a difference on my 1920x1080 tv. :(

Is it really bad? Should I cancel the installation today???

Personally I think it would make no sense for E* to launch anything HD in MPEG4 other than the HD LILs. It make no business sense to make your customers feel as they have to PAY to get all your national HD programming.

ceeveeb said:
You know this is really ironic that I come across this thread today. I just recently got a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 SXRD, this is my first HDTV and upgraded my Dish service to the basic HD pack. HDNET looked so amazing that I called Dish back and the Sattelite guy is going to be here this morning (probably within a few minutes) to install another dish so I can get VOOM.
Nice set!!! Unfortunately, it will only magnify all the glaring discrepancies with the current flavor of VOOM-Lite. Let's just hope these problems are corrected soon. Also, if you have an OTA antenna you rest assured the NFL on CBS is going to knock your socks off on your new SXRD.

ceeveeb, I am not as technologically gifted as many others in this site, but I see that the installer is due to arrive soon, so I'll try to help the best I can.

VOOM, through Dish Network, was offering 2 of their 10 channels at full 1920x1080i resolution. One day they began to present those two channels in the same reduced format as the other 8 were in, 1280x1080i. Many at this site complained and emailed Dish Network among other companies.

Dish Network has decided to change their strategy. They are going to be at CES in a few days, and will announce a solution to their resolution problem. They *as far as we are hearing* are going to offer 15 VOOM channels at their current 1280x1080i resolution.

They are also going to *as far as we are hearing* begin to broadcast in a new compression standard at full HD resolution of 1920x1080i some VOOM channels plus some others, including some areas network channels. In order to get these channels each of us will need to have a different receiver than we currently have. The current receivers are for MPEG-2 compression. The new ones will use MPEG-4 compression.

I know that this post is sketchy, but I did want to give you a chance to read this before your rep arrives.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)