Dish Network 2008 CES Press Conference Discussion

HOkie, They listed 11 HD locals as coming soon, by end of quarter 1, is there away to find out which Sat they are going to? Cleveland in my case as I only have 110, 119 and 61.5! also I see what you are getting at, and read it in several of charlies answers, They (Dish network) and US (echostar) seems as though We are really seeing two seperate companies and CES has more of echostar (hardware) then Programming (DIsh network) if that is the case, those hoping that CES would bring tons of programming announcements will be disapointed, even though I am sure "They" have some things up their sleeves.

I'm betting you'll only see LiL's added to 61.5 when E12 switches into spotbeam mode. They aren't going to want to waste anymore ConUS space on 129.

That would be awesome, and to be honest travis I might have to put you on ignore for the rest of the day, that damn dirty avatar is getting in the way! :) O-H-I-O (sorry but its game day)

Thanks.

Anyone heard anything from Dish on Norfolk? D* is really pissing me off.

I'm actually wondering the same thing. Is the map that's shown on the other CES forum the same as the one that came out in the last charlie chat? It's difficult to tell from the picture.

I see they are adding Richmond, VA which doesn't make much sense, b/c Norfolk is a larger market.

I'd really like to see Norfolk, VA added. My 622 has a horrible time with OTA (been through 5 antennas in a year w/ limited success on all 5).

I see they are adding Richmond, VA which doesn't make much sense, b/c Norfolk is a larger market.

I'd really like to see Norfolk, VA added. My 622 has a horrible time with OTA (been through 5 antennas in a year w/ limited success on all 5).

:welcome

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.

Market size is not the only consideration Dish Network uses when they add locals. Several factors including customer penetration, retransmission consent and a way to get the local signals to the uplink facility, all play a role in the decision.

I'm curious about the 3 additional U.S. satellites that E* is planning to launch...

Have their been any licenses granted yet from the FCC for these?
Any orbital assignments?
Launch Info?

DVR Conversion

As I am reading this you can take a 211 add a HD to it and have the equivalent of a HD DVR. Any idea on pricing for this capability. If there is no DVR charge then I would trade my 501 in and hook it up to a new HD TV with only the $5-6 lease fee and no DVR fee.

Market size isn't the only factor.... They probably approach the stations in the larger markets first and attempt to work out a deal. If that fails, what should they do, keep trying or move on to other markets ?

As I am reading this you can take a 211 add a HD to it and have the equivalent of a HD DVR. Any idea on pricing for this capability. If there is no DVR charge then I would trade my 501 in and hook it up to a new HD TV with only the $5-6 lease fee and no DVR fee.

Does anyone know if this will work with the 222 as well?

I'm curious about the 3 additional U.S. satellites that E* is planning to launch...

Any orbital assignments?
Launch Info?

AMC-14 - 61.5w
Echostar 11 - 110w
Echostar 13 - (satellite for China to get through loophole)
Echostar 14 - ???

Any orbital assignments?
Launch Info?
The 3 new sats to be launched are AMC-14, E11 and Ciel-2. AMC-14 is going to 61.5 (as was recently reported on SatGuys), E11 to 110 and Ciel-2 to 129.

any chance of getting NESNHD this year

The contract is up soon for NESN. We can only hope NESN holds their ground and make E* add NESN HD.

Just hope the E* will give in and not remove NESN to hold out for a better price.

Ken

I was comparing the 11 markets with the TP/Spotbeams assignments this morning and a few of them didn't make sense. I'm thinking we will see a few markets go to LiL with the addition of a few. Definitely not all 11 out of the hole without AMC-14 helping. Once AMC-14 is up and Skyangel is out the way it will be on like donkey kong. ;)

Your right Digblur, 61.5 doesn't make sense for Huntsville. The RSN are on 129, so if the locals were added to 61.5 would mean adding alot of new single dishes to pick up the locals.

I understand Dish and Direc would add hd lils in a market where they have a large base. But did it ever cross their minds that if they add hd lils in a LARGE market it may get them more customers? DOH

Your right Digblur, 61.5 doesn't make sense for Huntsville. The RSN are on 129, so if the locals were added to 61.5 would mean adding alot of new single dishes to pick up the locals.

I wasn't talking about orbital locations, just the match up of TP's and beams from the little bit info we know about E12.

Here's the way I see it... have Dish1000 installed? Yep. Want HD locals via satellite? Yep. Here's your 61.5 dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)