Dish Network 222k and Terk TV44

AlaskanPrincess

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Sunny Southwest
:confused: After 7 years with DirecTV I finally got motivated to go back to Dish Network, lots of reasons. So careful research - compared retailers, packages, receivers, etc. Ordered Terk TV44 (upgrade from Terk TV42 that I used successfully with DirecTV) figuring might as well start new all the way around. Placed order for Dish Sunday (thru Sam's Club) (order takers, not familiar with products/services!) Since my ?'s couldn't be answered he had to call Dish for answers. Ended up ordering Duo VIP 222k, and was ASSURED that OTA module was NOT necessary and included in receiver, and that yes, they would install new TERK TV44. Install scheduled for Wed. (today) between noon & 5, est 3 hours 40 minutes. Got a call saying installer would be here 3 - 3:30 and I questioned amount of time necessary, made clear about total new install (upgrading to 2 rooms instead of 1) and TERK antenna. No problem.
2:45 a call from installer, for directions. About 3 he arrived - and is totally not familiar with TERK antenna, receivers, etc. Told me I don't need OTA antenna, local channels included in pkg, I say, no I can't get local channels w/out OTA antenna (showing him bedroom TV, that gets only 2 channels) and living room TV (conncted to TERK thru DirecTV satellite, altho' Direct service is on 'vacation' so no satellite reception). Explain, no I'm NOT ordering local channels thru Dish (extra $5 a month, why would I do that when I can do one time $50 expenditure?)
He calls his boss - who says OTA module IS needed for this receiver (222k), cost $30, needs to be shipped to me, and they'll have to run a separate cable to second TV to connect Terk 44 to 2nd room. Me: nope, I spent lots of time researching, questioned at time of order just to avoid this type of situation, here I am now install can't be completed; installer isn't knowledgeable enough to do install; Dish Network was contacted about these issues prior to order being placed and install being scheduled, AND I'm under impression that reception from Terk OTA comes through same cable that feeds satellite.
Bottom line: my questions are: 222k DOES need this OTA module? Is there some part available (diplexer, or something - this is all over my skill/knowlege level) that allows TERK to connect through the same (one) cable that brings on the satellite??
The bright spot to this fiasco is the owner of the install company is sending a more experienced installer, and contacing Dish for me (saving me the aggravation.) Since I don't plan to switch again in the future, I want this install to be done properly. How do they install/connect Terk TV44 to 2 TV's in separate rooms? Should I have ordered any other parts??
Oh, final ?- this rookie installer made a comment that Dish signal strength is now reduced to something like 50% - which doesn't sound very good to me. ANy idea what the signal strength should be when they finish install??
Sorry about the length of this - I'm ultra frustrated since I brought up issues before ordering, and in allowing 3 days for install to be scheduled, there was adequate time to avoid this last minute crisis.

Sorry

Mack, my apologies. Reality is I've not posted 1/10th of problems I've experienced w/order and install. Guess I should have just posted question/s as briefly as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts