Dish Network 5G Internet?

Looking at the cell tower info on Cellmapper some of the towers in Las Vegas are getting up to 500 mbps. Most are in the 100 mbps range which would be a huge upgrade for what I have right now.

Reactions: TheKrell
I want to know how Charlie will meet the 20% coverage of the nation with his cell phone service required by the agreement and by June of this year and then 70% by June of 2023? Especially if he only has Las Vegas with actual service. Will be interesting to see what happens if he doesn't meet the time line .
Yeah, I don't think he's going to make it. If not, hopefully the rule of law is enforced and DISH is fined.

Due to COVID, initial delays in 5G components and now the general scarcity of electronics and other materials, I think it’s pretty obvious they can be given an extension. Two years if the government wants to be nasty, five years if they want to be reasonable. I believe the courts will side with Dish if it goes to court.

Let us not let personal dislikes distort facts.

Yeah, I don't think he's going to make it. If not, hopefully the rule of law is enforced and DISH is fined.

Going to be expensive if they do not make it-

Under its 2019 agreement with the US Department of Justice, Dish will be fined $16 million for each frequency band that misses its June 14 population coverage targets by 25% or less, $32 million for each frequency band that misses the population goal by 25-50%, $48 million for each frequency band that misses the population goal by 50-75%, and $66 million for each frequency band that misses the population goal by more than 75%. Those fines could ultimately total $2.2 billion.

My guess is they will use Covid as a excuse why they did not get it done, hoping that will work to get out of the fines.

See my post before yours. Looks like you may have been typing when I posted.

I hope Charlie can pull out another miracle, but we will see soon enough if he can't. He will probably ask for another move of the deadline if he is close but not quite at 20%. They are close to pulling something off, I just hope this is one he can do.

I hope Charlie can pull out another miracle, but we will see soon enough if he can't. He will probably ask for another move of the deadline if he is close but not quite at 20%. They are close to pulling something off, I just hope this is one he can do.
Ditto. He did mention the challenges of Covid and supply chain issues in the Chat but said we were still on track to meet the 20% and 70% requirements. The cloud native standalone 5g will be available to those attending TS (the highest turnout in 10 years) so I look forward to hearing the feedback on that.

Due to COVID, initial delays in 5G components and now the general scarcity of electronics and other materials, I think it’s pretty obvious they can be given an extension. Two years if the government wants to be nasty, five years if they want to be reasonable. I believe the courts will side with Dish if it goes to court.

Let us not let personal dislikes distort facts.
LOL. I have no personal dislike of Ergen or anyone else at DISH. But if DISH doesn't do what they promised the government by the agreed upon deadline, then there should be consequences. I'll just quote Ergen himself from the Feb. quarterly call:

"We're six months behind where we thought we'd be. It's my fault. We just didn't maybe anticipate that we would have to do as much on the technical side," said Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen, according to a Seeking Alpha transcript.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and AZ.
Agreements are made based upon assumptions. When the base assumptions change, other things must change. Agreements must be adjusted. I think case law supports this. Perhaps our legal folks here can elaborate- or shoot me down.

If original agreements were strictly held, we might have disastrous consequences.

Gee I hope someone is fined, hope something is done to them.... Hope the Government does something to make it even harder to get the business going... All after coming off a pandemic and still having supply problems....maybe like so many businesses also problems getting employees now.....

Reactions: charlesrshell
Gee I hope someone is fined, hope something is done to them.... Hope the Government does something to make it even harder to get the business going... All after coming off a pandemic and still having supply problems....maybe like so many businesses also problems getting employees now.....
Nah..censored

How long ago did they receive the frequencies?...Its been like ten years right?....They had them and did nothing for many years!

The great part of this is over the time the technology has improved greatly. While other companies are still offering 2G, 3G, 4G and now 5G as well in about the same spectrum DISH has, DISH's network out of the gate will be ALL 5G.
Again we are just over a week away from Team Summit, and SatelliteGuys will be there covering things. Be sure to pop in often for our live updates right from the show floor. :)

How long ago did they receive the frequencies?...Its been like ten years right?....They had them and did nothing for many years!
Did you expect to see towers springing up instantly? There's a lot of behind the scenes planning, engineering, and testing that goes into a project of this scope before the first subscriber can sign up. It looks like Dish is pretty much on track at this point.