Dish Network Adds More Local High Definition Markets

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Grrr...

I'm in Austin. This means I will probably have to pay for locals again. Moreover, I can look forward to HD-lite versions of local channels sans PBS and CW. :mad:

I actually put the OTA and SAT version of KXAN up side by side (PIP) last night on my Aquos, and could NOT tell the difference.

No kidding! I'm not getting my HD locals yet but, with this announcement, I know I'm that much closer and I'm pretty darn happy about it.
For many of us though, locals in HD is meaningless. Some areas just simply are not going to get them for at least the next several years. For us, there is no new HD.

DISH NETWORK ADDS MORE LOCAL HIGH DEFINITION MARKETS

“We announced earlier this year that we would reach our goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels by the end of 2008, and over the next two months we will continue toward this goal by increasing our local HD offerings by more than 60 percent,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network.

Read carefully, there is no promise about National HD.

So many negative comments for a positive press release, eh?
This is an indication of how deep the PR hole is that Dish has dug for itself with their most active subscribers. Many have been disappointed for so long, that they no longer give Dish the benefit of the doubt.

Talon Dancer

I actually put the OTA and SAT version of KXAN up side by side (PIP) last night on my Aquos, and could NOT tell the difference.
Will you quit bragging about your Austin HD Locals until I get mine :D

Seriously: Thanks, that's good news for those of us without OTA access :)

Talon Dancer

Get your eyes check--or a better TV--just kidding :p

I just read the 61.5. I only get 110, 129 and that other SD sat. No, I'm not getting another dish on my house just for 4 locals.

No kidding! I'm not getting my HD locals yet but, with this announcement, I know I'm that much closer and I'm pretty darn happy about it.

Well, like everyone else, I've been waiting for HD locals since 2006, and just last night, Orlando HD locals lit up. I am so happy, that I can't stand it... OTA never worked for me (east coast too far), so I had to have a BrightHouse HD Cable box just to get them. So today, I was delighted to return the cable box and no save $70 per month. Hold on, "soon" will actually happen.:D

There are other things at 61.5. There are mirrors of some of the HD channels, and some other stuff. I really wish Dish would make it so that the IRD's would pick the stronger of the two (129/61.5) for the stuff that's dupe'd, but that's just a wish.

There are other things at 61.5. There are mirrors of some of the HD channels, and some other stuff. I really wish Dish would make it so that the IRD's would pick the stronger of the two (129/61.5) for the stuff that's dupe'd, but that's just a wish.

That will be cool!

Heads up for those in the Austin area....
The Austin HD locals are on 61.5. So if you do not already have a dish pointed that way, be prepared for the CSR to tell you that you will need an additional dish, which they will install for "free" with a 24 month commitment or $59.99, your choice.
Update: I just got off the phone with a Dish CSR. After a lot of time on hold while he checked with the "Office of the CEO" a couple of times, I was told that a Dish tech will install a wing dish for 61.5 Sat afternoon --- for FREE, without a 24 mo. commitment :)

Kinda, sorta makes me wonder if the rumor that the "Office of the CEO" monitors this web site might have a touch of truth in it ;)

Talon Dancer

I was all hot and bothered when I heard Flint/Saginaws HD Locals were FINALLY up, I even called before i got home from work, to check if I needed a 2nd dish (which i do, and not a problem), but i knew it was almost going too smoothly when the CSR says "ok, we can have a technician at your house on Thursday April 3rd"...i almost snickered and just went on with the order. Yet another WHOLE week of waiting. Atleast now i know when my "SOON" is for sure!!!! Thanks DISH!!!

DISH Network now offers HD locals in 39 markets, reaching more than 54 percent of U.S. television households with local HD channels.
“We announced earlier this year that we would reach our goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels by the end of 2008, and over the next two months we will continue toward this goal by increasing our local HD offerings by more than 60 percent,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network.

Am I reading this wrong because 54% + 60% = 114%. Doesnt make sense.

When I upgraded last summer I wanted a single dish for 61.5 because I was concerned about LOS for 129. The installer was going to do that until I was told that Fox Sports Detroit HD was ONLY on 129. Soooooo, the 2nd 500 was aimed at 129 and signal strength has been acceptable----I have heavy woods to my West. I get my locals in HD via a good antenna/rotor/amplifier but the signal isn't reliable in heavy winds (the trees again). Now they finally get my locals (Flint) and I've gotta try to get 'em out here to move my dish/pole to the front yard from the back for 61.5.:mad: I went through hell getting the upgrade done last summer, NOT looking forward to starting another service nightmare. What about my RSN?? Are they gonna move that to 61.5??? :rolleyes:
Sorry about the rant..................

Ed

Good for all the new HD local markets. I'm still waiting for just a regular freakin local market. Salisbury, MD area does not have a market! Can anyone say, middle ages? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)