DISH Network Launches (Then Removes) The Weather Cast

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I miss the good ole days when the Weather Channel just did weather, but I'm not so sure about this one.

Is this an SD only channel, or an HD feed?

This might be another Lifetime-esque negotiating ploy to get them to lower the rate they are demanding.... I can't see E* NOT having the Weather Channel which is probably one of the top 20 most watched basic cable channels.

I WAS a TWC fan until the past decade or so -- when they really started migrating away from what made the channel great. While DISH is removing TWC, I think the channel is already dying a slow agonizing death -- NBC would screw up anything. So, while I will miss one of the lone veterans -- Jim Cantore -- I think this is wonderful news. Bring on a REAL weather channel, DISH Network! This one's for you, John Coleman -- he was The Weather Channel founder back in the early 80s.

Eric

Here is the note from DISH to customers...

It also has some FAQ's..

Q) Where else can I watch shows like Wake up with Al, Cantore Stories and Storm Stories?

A) The Weather Cast features an application very similar to old one you used to use. The Weather Cast will automatically recognize the zip code where you live so you will automatically receive local weather information with the interactive component. You can also input as many as five additional zip codes so you can access weather information in more areas than ever.

I guess this means I can't?
icon7.gif

The E* video tells me "remember, YOU have asked us to have more local weather"

These aren't the droids you're looking for?

The Jedi Mind tricks won't work E*, ..... feel free to add another weather channel, but I'd prefer to keep the original as well....

Ironically, once the Google box shows up, I believe you can click on the Weather Channel videos to run in a browser window, unless E* doesn't support video content over IP?

I'd rather they carry both.

Maybe it's a negotiating ploy. I hope.

I always considered TWC to be pretty useless. Even when I had cable I would only tune in for the weather on the 8's. If I didn't read this forum it would probably have been a long time before I noticed TWC was missing.

The Weather Cast is a weather solution that provides weather-related programming 24 hour a day, 7 days a week. The best part is that you can still watch similar shows on other channels that may be offered in your programming package. You can catch Al Roker on MSNBC or NBC every morning, and Storm Chasers is available on the Discovery Channel.

Additional Weather Sources:

Local Weather*

ABC

NBC

CBS

FOX

National Weather

CNN

MSNBC

FOX NEWS

Weather Websites

AccuWeather.com

National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report

Weather and forecast information on WeatherBug.com

Weather forecast, maps, news, alerts, and video on Yahoo! Weather

Weather-Related Programming Options:

Weather Channel Program

Recommended Replacement

TWC: Wake Up with Al - Wake Up With Al runs from 6-7am ET. A reprise broadcast airs from 10-11am containing live weather updates from Stephanie Abrams mixed with recorded segments from the original broadcast.

MSNBC & NBC: Today Show - Al Roker has been the weather and feature reporter on NBC News’ TODAY Show since 1996.* Al Roker is still featured on the TODAY Show.

Channel 209

TWC: Storm Stories - *Showcases various types of severe weather, such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and blizzards. Each episode features a famous severe storm and had survivors sharing their experience during the storm.

Discovery Channel: Storm Chasers - Features several teams of storm chasers as they attempt to intercept tornadoes in Tornado Alley in the United States.

Channel 182

TWC: Cantore Stories - Featuring Storm Tracker Jim Cantore, this thrilling documentary series explores the regions most unique and extreme weather locations.

Discovery Channel: Deadliest Catch - The series documents the events aboard fishing boats in the Bering Sea during the Alaskan king crab and Opilio crab fishing seasons.

Channel 182

TWC: When Weather Changed History: Unveils the most powerful moments in history and the remarkable role played by Mother Nature.

History Channel: Ice Road Truckers: Features truckers who face severe cold, volatile weather and some of the world’s most dangerous roads.

Channel 120 *

... Hope they take it to HD in the future. It's an interactive channel. Press select & it goes to you local conditions.

Just now I took a look and I have both the SD and HD versions listed as channel 213. However, only the SD channel is interactive, the interactive symbol never appears on the HD channel; maybe they haven't added the interactive part yet to the HD version (it is about 5:25 EST).

BTW, from what I saw of the channel so far, I like it a lot better than the weather channel!

I have been watching this channel for a few minutes. Actually it is not that bad, they do actually give the weather, which is what the TWC used to do before NBC got ahold of it and f**ed it up even more. I noticed while I was watching it that one of the weather men David Neal, is on Birmingham's CBS affiliate WIAT on the weekend. Did Dish start this channel themselves?

…sorry about the premature post. That was E*'s FAQ about where to watch TWC-like shows. Pretty hilarious. I'd edit if I weren't on my iPhone.

This is probably why they moved DEarth and NASA.

The Weather Chanel should be called "The Commercial Ch with weather". I realize the name of the game is profit, but the founder of TWC has noted the problems that this service has created. QVC has fewer ads than TWC!

Dish loosing TWC will not be near as devastating as Direct loosing versus; it probably wouldn't even be as bad as Dish loosing Gol (that's the soccer one they lost a few years back, right?). Most people probably won't notice it until the next hurricane blows through; and even then if they can't see a TWC meteorologist blow away, they can go back a few channels and watch Anderson Cooper blow away.

Just now I took a look and I have both the SD and HD versions listed as channel 213. However, only the SD channel is interactive, the interactive symbol never appears on the HD channel; maybe they haven't added the interactive part yet to the HD version (it is about 5:25 EST).

BTW, from what I saw of the channel so far, I like it a lot better than the weather channel!

I only have 213 in SD. What gives????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)