DISH Network Launches (Then Removes) The Weather Cast

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yes, some people do watch it, i watch it when ever there's nothing on TV and there interesting weather, but lately the Network has turn into another one of those typical Cable channels who lost touch with it's theme, motto and gimmick.

You mean like TLC, The Learning Channel?? haha :D

I see tabs on the bottom of the new Weather Cast channel screen. Can they be customized to just your location and just at the size of those tabs and not larger? Also on the HD channel! Of course if you want your radar, that needs to be larger but I want to see at least the last few hours of precipitation movement.

BTW.. the tabs I am talking about are just stuck on extended. How do you change that?
I certainly hope we can select those tabs (somehow) or they start cycling like the sports ticker on ESPN!

I'm originally from Houston and my family lives there and last year when Ike hit, yes, I used the TWC, but I used CNN, MSNBC, etc. just as much to watch what was going on. All of them didn't really report on anything else except the hurricane overnight which is when it came ashore. When the major events happen there are other choices other the TWC, though I hope they come to an agreement with them as well.

I get most of my weather from TWC - ON THE INTERNET! - but I often put it on when it is on "Daily Planner" or "Weather Center." I do have basic cable in my bedroom, so if I am desperate, I can watch TWC there - and actually get local weather; but I gave up on local weather when I went to satellite more than 10 years ago.

I suspect it will come back, but I have bitched a bit on Dish's FB page, just to let them know I am not happy with them.

Same old slow, difficult interactive crap as on 214 when trying to go into local weather here and elsewhere. Tends to crash the receiver as well.

Also will lose locals on the 8s, which showed a 3 day forecast for here at 28 and 58 minutes, after 214 goes away.

Bummer. Why did they not just go back to the Accuweather channel they had before for local weather. It actually worked and was relatively fast.

What does Directv have for locals?

First Impressions

Okay, here's my first take on the channel:

* graphics and video look very nice - although very, very similar to the TWC grahics... could be trouble there!

* the in depth local focus is pretty cool, especially the current tornado info for the Dallas and surrounding areas.

* there's a slight flavor of teaching that is interesting (explaining the graphics, how to interpret some of the radar imagery). Hopefully it doesn't get old.

* ownership of the channel is vague, but it appears to be a Dish channel. I wonder if they are an investor or if this is in-house? If it's in-house, the quality is way better than any Charlie Chat! :D

Keep in mind, if Dish put a lot of effort into producing this channel (either as investor or creator) they are not going to pull the plug unless the channel absolutely tanks. Frankly, I don't see that happening based on the initial look. They probably need to sell the channel to additional carriers, though.

I, for one, will miss some of the TWC personalities but welcome a return to JUST weather coverage. It will be interesting to see how they handle the next weather disaster...

Now Dish needs to create a channel that covers a broad range of news from all over the globe. HLN stopped being good a long time ago and HDNews was very shallow (although pretty to look at). I want to tune in at anytime, watch for a bit, and get caught up on things without hearing the liberals screaming on one channel and the conservatives screaming on the other channel. ;) Whatever happened to just reporting the news? :rolleyes:

Cheers!
Red

EDIT: the studio could use some work - it looks a little "thrown together".

Last edited:
No never had it on the HD version of The Weather Channel.

Just expected that this was created for Satellite that it would work. :)
Scott,

Do your sources have anything to offer on when interactive will be on the HD version? Also, will we be seeing improvements over the existing interactive app?

Finally, what can we expect on the "future" second weather channel?

Thanks!
Red

I found one still image from the KNTV Bay Area weather to give you the feel:

0.jpg

Like Google Earth, the weather person can swivel the image over to different cities, and zoom into specific areas...

I think it it a little early to panic. It's a new channel, who knows they might actually have better coverage than TWC does. Like was said in the announement, most of the time now TWC isn't actualy dioing weatherl, it's just a bunch of other crap!

Yes, quite right. Certainly, I like some of the TWC programming, but it's taken over too much. There may be room for both. Or for TWC to run two channels. I still think "negotiating ploy." And an effective one.

Either way, I want a channel I can go to that is covering in real time any natural disaster affecting me or my family.

When in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout.

;)

I haven't watched the weather channel in over 10 years. It just became a waste of time to even stop by.

This channel is a huge joke . They are showing tornado warnings from 2 hours ago in MO and not the current tornado warning in MS. You can not tape delay warnings .:rant:

As Willh699 has reminded me, I can go to the local TV stations subchannels for some weather info. But not as extensive, no coverage of where the hurricane is hitting now, for example. And no coverage of other cities of interest. But still, they meet the minimum.

And I must admit, weather.com seems WAY off in it's weather guesses.

Maybe if this new channel sticks, they'll plow money into it to match or surpass weather.com, technically.

Here is a link to the company the has this channel. They are based out of the Twin Cities.
WeatherNation
I was just re-reading the thread and came across this post (somehow missed it on first read). Glad to know this is not an in-house channel for Dish. I wonder what sort of agreement they have and if it is exclusive?

I'm going to get on chat right now and raise hell.... I'm losing a channel I do enjoy from time to time and this is on top of getting a rate increase come June 3rd. What kinda crap is this?!?! :rant::rant:

According to the Weather.com site they are going to try to keep it on Dish so I hope it works!! I'll pay a extra penny for it!!!

We are hopeful that we can still reach an agreement with DISH Network and bring this highly valued network back to you and are committed to continuing our discussions with DISH. If you want The Weather Channel back on DISH, call DISH at 1-800-823-4929.

Does anyone have any photos or video?

My DirecTV contract is up and I wanted to research my options.

Does anyone have any photos or video?

My DirecTV contract is up and I wanted to research my options.
I know it's not quite what you asked for, but here is a marketing video for the WeatherNation that gives us some clues on the how this channel comes to dish; it also has shots of the sets and sample screens. Until we find actual footage from the Dish branded channel, this will have to do!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgzbeE9ldwE]YouTube - WeatherNation[/ame]

Red

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts