DISH Network Launches (Then Removes) The Weather Cast

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think

I read that weathercast is Dish's channel. So maybe that is why the address is so close to Dish. They probably put together info for the channel themselves. Who knows and who cares the weather channel should be called anything but weather channel. If I watch the local news at all times through the day I would get as much weather as they provide anymore.

Not over yet, folks!

=============================

Cloudy Forecast: Dish, Weather Channel Standoff Continues
Satellite TV Operator Had Threatened to Pull Weather Service in Fee Dispute
By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 5/23/2010 5:05:00 PM

Dish Network subscribers were still receiving The Weather Channel as of 5 p.m. Eastern Sunday as carriage talks between the two parties remained stuck in a holding pattern.

The No. 2 satellite TV operator last Thursday said it planned to drop The Weather Channel -- claiming the network was asking for an "unreasonable" carriage fee -- and replace it at channel position 214 with The Weather Cast, produced by startup WeatherNation LLC.

Dish's previous deal to carry The Weather Channel expired at 12:01 a.m. Eastern on Friday, May 21.

If it follows through on its threat, Dish would be the first major distributor to drop the 28-year-old cable channel and would eliminate about 14 million homes from the network's 100-million-household reach.

The Weather Channel is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital, which acquired it from Landmark Communications in 2008. The network gets an average of 12 cents per month per sub, according to SNL Kagan.

In Dish's announcement Thursday, the company said The Weather Channel "has recently moved away from weather reporting to a mix of movies and other entertainment-focused programming... The Weather Channel is customized for cable and has never offered satellite customers the localization they require."

In its own statement Thursday, The Weather Channel said that Dish "has chosen to be the first distributor to drop The Weather Channel, rather than pay the standard industry rates others in the industry have already agreed to pay... We are disappointed with their decision and hopeful that we can still reach an agreement with Dish Network and bring this highly valued network back to its customers."

I am all for the change as I have not bothered to watch The Weather Channel in years. This new channel reminds me of TWC in the 1980s when they gave just the weather. On the internet, I use The Weather Underground Check out their maps tied to backyard weather stations.

And, it's official!

DISH Network and Weather Channel have negotiated a new multi-year deal, according to a press release I just received moments ago.

Looks like WeatherCast may be toast (unless the reference to channel 213 in the press release is WeatherCast doing localized weather info rather than utilizing Weather Channel resources).

This station is not ready for prime time.

I was just watching for awhile and for a few minutes the screen was just grey.

Attachments

• wc.jpg
    wc.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 222
They are trying to broadcast from more than one studio and they are having major problems broadcasting from Chattanooga, TN. Dish was supposed to provide them with a new studio but I doubt that this channel last much longer on Dish cause I have seen better quality stuff on College TV :D

Just got off the phone with Weathercast and they will be removed from Dishnetwork by the end of the day

Last edited:
The channel is now gone with a message stating ...

The WeaterCast is no longer available. Coming soon... Your local weather information from Dish Network and The Weather CHannel. The most accurate information all the time for your city and region.

quick

The channel is now gone with a message stating ...

The WeaterCast is no longer available. Coming soon... Your local weather information from Dish Network and The Weather CHannel. The most accurate information all the time for your city and region.

Damn that was quick. When TWC gonna get their S**t togther to have the "forecast" channel? It's a shame that Weather CAst was really together enff to do what they needed to do to stay on E*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts