Dish network® meets 100 hd channel mark ahead of schedule

does anyone know if some one gets the rsn in the welcom pack if they also get local chanels? can you make other aditions to it like a movie pack or a supper station or something?

Unfortunately, Lifetime and LMN are two of the most popular cable favorite channels. From a business standpoint, adding these two HD channels will keep their largely underserved female customers happy.

Speaking of business, I guess also they probably aren't getting the best price from Newscorp on Speed Channel HD and F/X HD since Dish just sued them for $1 billion. Bring on Lifetime HD, and lets hope that it actually has some HD unlike ABC Family NonHD

does anyone know if some one gets the rsn in the welcom pack if they also get local chanels? can you make other aditions to it like a movie pack or a supper station or something?

You probably won't get an RSN with it or I'm sure it would have been listed on the flier that Scott posted earlier. Then again, it's like they are coming up with so many packages and options (similar to my cell phone company) and they seem to change some of the rules pretty often. That package is / was the Essentials package which was somewhat of a retention tool to keep customers from leaving (if I understand correctly). With the kind of mistakes I've heard of recently, though, you could probably take a swing at downgrading and they may even forget to remove the Multi-Sport package (unless something automatically kicks it out when you aren't at AT100+ or above).

I'm a bit surprised they are making that package offer public (as compared to using it as a retention tool only) but I guess, with the current state of the economy, they feel as though it will have some takers and may even appeal to new customers. It's a pretty interesting package, though. While it's got things I don't care to watch (WE, Home Shopping Network, QVC), it's got several of the channels that I regularly watch (Comedy Central, MSNBC, and AMC). If you could get your RSN with it and add a movie package, I'd definitely give it a second look.

I'm happy that they are beginning to add the RSN to HD packages, though. The only reason I needed to upgrade has finally arrived. (I wonder how long it would take me to realize all of these additions if I weren't a member of this site....)

Early adopters of the Vip-622 that are stuck with the $7 a month lease fee like I was, here is what you can do and what I did. No more lease fee:

Upgrade to a Vip-722 under the Dish'n It Up promotion. It cost me $75 plus sales tax upfront to get the 722 delivered and install it myself. In about 11 months I break even costs wise. After that I'll be saving the $7 a month lease fee. Now I have a black box instead of silver and more recording capacity.
Did you have to call a CSR to do this, or did you do it online? I may have to do this as well.
I looked online, and the Terms of the HD DVR still showed a monthly equipment rental fee of $7.00 for HD receivers.

The problem I see with the turbo STAND ALONE hd packs is this: Why would I pay more for less channels? I mean if I add hd to any existing top programming pack I only pay $10.00 more than that programming pack, and I get the sd channels in that pack and the hd channels with their sd equivalents. But if all you want is hd channels and no sd you will now pay more for them. Especially if you just want all the hd channels you can get , like the hd absolute pack . Today it sells for $29.99 a month, but if you want those same channels on 8/1/08 you will have to pay $59.99 a month- a $30.00 increase in price. You would have to sub to the turbo gold hd pack at $44.99 and add $5.00 for locals, so $49.99 or just do the dvr advantage pack at $49.99 and then add platinum hd pack for $10.00 more = $59.99 to get the same thing you pay $29.99 for today. Does DISH really think that people will pay more for less channels just because they are HD? WHy would I pay just for hd when I can also get the sd channels and Sirius satellite channels as well? I find the whole stand alone hd turbo packs as a gimmick that will give old Charlie more money because of the confusion it will create. So to summarize we are going back to the metallic packs we had a couple of years ago : add hd to any programming pack and you get

top 100 + hd =Bronze pack for $10.00 more/ just like hd essentials today.
top 200 + hd = Silver pack for $10.00 more/just like hd essentials today.
top 250 + hd = Gold pack for $10.00 more/just like hd essentials today.

Add Platinum hd pack for $10.00 more to any metallic pack and you get the same 7 extra hd channels in the ultimate hd pack you have today.

Now the confusion starts with the stand alone TURBO hd packs. Imagine how many calls that DISH will get when the new subs call in and ask why they can't get comedy central or fox news , msnbc news etc. Because this is only the HD Channels , NO sd at all.

Bronze hd pack for the hd channels in the top 100 ONLY = 24.99/34.99 dvr advantage.
Silver hd pack for the hd channels in the top 200 ONLY = 32.99/39.99 dvr advantage.
Gold hd pack for the hd channels in the top 250 ONLY = 44.99/49.99 dvr advantage.

Add platinum hd pack to any turbo hd pack for $10.00 more.

I guess DISH thinks it looks like it offers more options and they hid a $30.00 increase on their stand alone hd pack -which was a good selling point at $29.99 like it is today. Now they have lost that advantage. I think it is easier for consumers to just do it like today or like DIRECTV does. Add hd pack to any programming pack for $10.00 and get those corresponding hd channels in that pack. Add extra hd channels for another $10.00 -but it should only be $5.00.

Dvr advantage should be easy too instead of the complicated way of adding it today. Today you add dvr advantage for top 200 and add the bonus pack for top 250 for $10.00 more just to get the dvr advantage for top 250. Way to much wording and adds confusion. Wonder how many subs are only stuck at top 200 dvr advantage because they have no idea that they can get the top 250. You have to think like a lawyer to figure out the confusing ways of adding extra channels just so you can skip ONE dvr fee . It should be easy like this:

Dvr advantage for top 100= 39.99
Dvr advantage for top 200= 49.99
Dvr advantage for top 250= 59.99
NO dvr fees on AEP.

But marketing thinks the average consumer is stupid and they hope that they can trap new subs in their new turbo stand alone packs and make more money off the existing hd channels . So I say it again, Why would anyone pay more to have less variety of channels with a stand alone hd pack , when you could get those same channels + the sd channels in that programming pack + sirius sat on the top 200/250? I mean I still watch some sd channels that have no hd equivalents. I watch for content not just hd. Most people I know do also. Isn't that why we did away with the Voom channels? NOt enough new content that people wanted to watch and too many repeats. This seems to be a reversal of thinking back like we did 3 or 4 years ago when everyone would watch paint dry if it was in hd. I am way past that WOW factor in hd . Especailly since DISH has done their hd in hd lite.
Like I said earlier, they like to "smoke" things up and yes, I expect Dish looks at their customers as having about the same intelligence level as their average CSR.

I think you all need to wait until August 1st and see what the new packages and costs are. All of your speculation is just that-speculation. Many of you are getting upset about speculation. Remember, it is just TV.

Did you have to call a CSR to do this, or did you do it online? I may have to do this as well.
I looked online, and the Terms of the HD DVR still showed a monthly equipment rental fee of $7.00 for HD receivers.

I called and asked if there was anyway I could get out of my Vip 622 lease fee and the CSR suggested I upgrade to a Vip 722. There is no lease fee if you have only one HD receiver. There is no longer a lease fee on my bill.

Quote from Dish'n It Up terms:

Monthly equipment rental fee of $7.00 for HD receivers; $5.00 monthly equipment rental fee for all other models will apply for each receiver activated beyond the first.

You mean Screw

Screw VOOM, it's gone DEAL WITH IT....LOL
:what

DISH
My view is
DISH was wrong!! Not VOOM
So screw
DISH

I see also that
AT&T has smartened up!!
As far as
Dish meeting 100 Hd channels. It's just hype!! Most not true Hi-Def anyway!!

Only thing that I am impressed about anymore with
Dish is there DVR. Other then that you can have them. I'm going back to Direct or Cable. No difference anymore with programming. So what if they have more HD!! They used Voom for years until they started getting more HD. And all that is smoking mirrors since most are not true Hi-Def.
Dish is not loyal to there customers,so why should I be???!protest

///trying to get back on topic :) ...
I think you all need to wait until August 1st and see what the new packages and costs are. All of your speculation is just that-speculation. Many of you are getting upset about speculation. Remember, it is just TV.

The speculation is a part of the fun, though. When you know something major is about to happen and none of the details are filled in, all you can do is speculate. (Like a bunch of us geeks sitting in a dorm room in the early 90's casting an X-Men movie - who would have though our number one choice for Prof X would actually be cast 10 years later!)
And until I hear from e* via press release or mailing (or on my account summary on Aug 2) that they are going to grandfather HD Abs subs, it doesn't hurt to mull over a contingency plan.

And you are absolutely correct, it is only TV! We should have fun with this and deal with all the issues August 2nd.

I'm done Bit chin

I agree, you should not be loyal. Go to DirectTV and take your comments with you. We are all (including Scott) tired of your whining and belly aching about Voom! It's gone deal with it.
I am dealing with it!! I got my point across.. or I would not of gotten this reaction. Thank You!!
DONE!!:D

The question of loyalty to something, or someone, is often a matter of perception and experience. For example, those individuals who buy hundreds of Blu-Ray disks, and build up an enormous library of movies, concerts, etc. What are they loyal to? Sony? Or to the concept of having at hand an enormous variety of material to view whenever they choose, in the best format currently widely available? Either way, their choice, and they are happy with it.

My experience with Dish has been very good for almost 5 years. I upgraded from the 811 to the 622 to the 722 with no problems, and for years had the best HD experience available. For a short time, DirecTV has provided a programming experience that may have been slightly better, but I have a substantial DVR libray built up of my favorite shows, movies, and sporting events utilizing Dish equipment (plus, now, an external HDD). When I stay with Dish, am I loyal to Dish or to my ability to maintain my library?

The only area where I feel Dish falls down slightly is that of crediting rebates. I recently used the CEO email address to request the rebate I was entitled to when I upgraded to the 722, and got back an immediate reply (like next day) stating the rebate would start showing up on my next bill. That is an aggravation, but one I can live with. Regarding the intelligence of Dish CSRs, my experience has been that they are as intelligent as most people one deals with in the retail market--they know their subject and are as helpful as they know how to be when dealing with customers who sometimes don't know how to describe their problem.

Please forgive the philosophizing, there's not a whole lot of point in responding to rants. But how can one resist, occasionally?

Fitzie--not affiliated with Dish except as a happy customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)