Dish Network, the king of fees?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
3TVs
Dish--Duo (2 TV) + 1 Solo = $7/month
DirecTV--"Solo" X 3 = $12/month

4TVs
Dish--Duo(2 TV) + 1 Solo + 1 Solo= $14/month
DirecTV--"Solo" X 4 = $18/month
why not compare it if you have all HD recievers?

This is even before we factor base programming. For example, America's Top 120 with HD or Dish Latino Dos with HD is $44.99/month. I believe DirecTV's lowest base package is the Entertainment Package at $54.99 without HD (which would cost an additional $10/month).

and again why post regular prices? Both companies have one year of credits....directv gives you a 2nd year of credits too

Iceberg said:
why not compare it if you have all HD recievers?

and again why post regular prices? Both companies have one year of credits....directv gives you a 2nd year of credits too

An HD Duo and an HD Solo are HD receivers. :)

Maybe it is my preference for regular pricing as I would like to know what I would be paying after the two years (unless you plan on ditching the provider after the first two years). :) Some new subs may also opt out of a contract; thus, may not get all of the incentives.

but not on the 2nd TV...if a customer wants HD on all TV's you'd have to get 2 receivers with DIsh (just like you do with DIrectv)

Iceberg said:
but not on the 2nd TV...if a customer wants HD on all TV's you'd have to get 2 receivers with DIsh (just like you do with DIrectv)

A Duo is an HD receiver which services two TVs. The first TV would be HD. The second TV would get an SD feed. However, with the Duo, the HD only channels would still be accessible but downcoverted to 480i. The second receiver would be an HD Solo; so, obviously, it would have an HD feed.

and why are you counting the primary receiver? That is free

That is right. Looked at the quote again, and it shows the primary fee, then the credit for it further down. Still, $32/mo and the only real difference would be that additional HD receiver with whdvr which isn't something we are after and NOT given an option to decline.

Also, those prices from the quote are inflated. They add on premium movie channels, and show the rate going up with them still included...... @ any rate $54.99 + $32 in receiver fees is quite a bit more than $44.99 + $13 in receiver fees.

and do you really think in 2 years you couldnt call and get the free HD renewed again?

Yeah, sorry, not going to be one of those customers- and whose to say they even would. there is a reason the term "CSR roulette" was coined.

for the entry level it would be $87 vs $58 without promos and DIRT has us spoiled now as a simple PM takes care of the few issues that arise. granted dtv has channels dish does not and that price would have all HD receivers with whdvr- only because there is no option to NOT get it. dislike all you want, it is what it is.

Maybe it is my preference for regular pricing as I would like to know what I would be paying after the two years (unless you plan on ditching the provider after the first two years).

Yep...

**** fan of neither****

Last edited:
A Duo is an HD receiver which services two TVs. The first TV would be HD. The second TV would get an SD feed. However, with the Duo, the HD only channels would still be accessible but downcoverted to 480i. The second receiver would be an HD Solo; so, obviously, it would have an HD feed.

I know what the hell a duo receiver is. :rolleyes: (good lord I've been here 9 years so yeah I know what it is. Hell my dad has a 625)

But you're not understanding.
That 2nd output no matter how you "hooker it up" (to make it look pretty) is still SD.

If a customer has 3 HDTV's they probably would want HD receivers. So you'd need 3 HD receivers total (not a duo and another one)

Iceberg said:
I know what the hell a duo receiver is. :rolleyes: (good lord I've been here 9 years so yeah I know what it is. Hell my dad has a 625)

But you're not understanding.
That 2nd output no matter how you "hooker it up" (to make it look pretty) is still SD.

If a customer has 3 HDTV's they probably would want HD receivers. So you'd need 3 HD receivers total (not a duo and another one)

Okay...one could get 3 HD Solos if you really want to push your argument because you seem bent on doing so.

$0 + $7 + $7 = $14

Then, you can proclaim that you won your argument by $2.

However, with a one-time $40 fee and an external hard drive for each, one can have 3 integrated DVRs with no monthly DVR fee. To have a DVR with D*, there would be at least an $8 monthly fee.

(I still like that with an HD Duo that you can watch the HD only channels on the TV 2 feed. When we had D*, we could not do so which is very annoying. The base price of packages at regular price for Dish is still cheaper as previously mentioned.)

I know with Dish, new subs can get three HD receivers for free.

i have dtv and my set up is 1 hd dvr and 1 hd receiver with whdvr
primary tv: hddvr $8 and $0 tv fee
second tv hd: $3 whdvr $10 receiver fee and $6 tv fee- total $19
choice xtra classic: 68.99
service plan $5

my bill comes out to $102 after taxes and a -$5 att
been looking at dish and the website comes out to a total of $54 for the same set up and 89 after the first year just wanted to know if there was a additional fee like the tv fee that direct charges in addition to the receiver fees with dish?

and trying to get a total price from dtv(without incentives) when signing up you might as well just bang your head against a wall all you will get is i can only give you the price for 24 months. were dish show the monthly total with your first year of incentives and the monthly total after rite on your online quote

Last edited:
If you go with the hopper and joey setup , which is the latest whole house dvr , it would cost you $7.00 for each ADDITIONAL Joey unit or HOPPER unit you add , after the FIRST hopper receiver , which is free on your bill. So for 1 hopper & 1 joey= $7.00. For 2 hoppers and 1 joey= $14.00 . For 1 hopper & 2 joeys = $14.00. The dvr fee is $10.00 because it includes the whole house dvr fee $4.00 + the dvr fee $6.00= $10.00.

Unless it's the VIP922.Then you can "Sling" TV2 in HD,to your computer and if you have a PC capable HDTV your TV when connected up to your computer.

I'm going to have my 2 Hoppers installed Sunday so I'm new to Dish. Do you guys think Dish will do to the Hoppers like they did with the 722K and 922 where the fees are outrageous? I also wonder if they will raise all fees and package prices in February. That would suck if DVR, BOX and package fees go up.

Welcome to Dish! From some of the discussions that have been taking place it appears there will be an increase of some sort. As far as what will be raised I think that's unknown. Last year there was no package increase but my personal thought is there will be package increases

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts