Dish Programming Changes (Effective August 1st)

The Expanded Platinum Package premium overlay appears to now contain the following (listed by channel order, descriptions based on Wikpedia entries, links are to the station's web site):
  • MavTV - programming focused towards men 18-54 age
  • Universal HD - programming includes a mix of films, dramas, series, sports, specials, and performance arts from the NBC Universal library
  • BET J HD - programming showcases jazz, plus to a lesser extent some Caribbean, R&B, neo soul, alternative hip hop, go-go, electronica, and alternative rock
  • Logo - programming focused for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community
  • Fashion TV - programming focused on fashion and modeling
  • HDNet Movies - programming includes a variety of movies and a monthly "sneak preview" of a film just prior to its theater release
  • MGM - programming includes movies from MGM's celebrated 4,000-title library
  • Crime & Investigation Network HD
  • World Fishing Network - programming dedicated to the world of recreational and sport fishing
  • NBA TV - self explanatory (if you know that the NBA is the National Basketball Association)
  • NHL NETWORK - self explanatory (if you know that the NHL is the National Hockey League)

if i am reading this right, i have top 250 with the gold HD upgrade and come august 1 i will get these channels added for free? or am i mistaken?

sorry... just signed up for Dish and I was a little upset because one of my channels is only offered via the Platinum package. I didnt think it was worth the 10 dollar platinum price, so I didnt get that package.
Does this news mean I'm going to end up getting it for "free' now?

I got the Silver package with Silver HD. Do I need to up to gold to get the free platinum?

lost

No! The chs that are currently named Platinum will be included in all Classic packs.

The new August 1st promo starts tomorrow with the free Platinum channels addition for new and existing Classic+HD customers. Any word or clue if there's going to be any promo at all for new or existing TurboHD customers?

Is there anything on their website (and I can't find it if it's there) that says anything? I may try an online chat with them to adjust my package back to the Classic 250 with HD add on.

I just talked with Kathie Gonzalez from Dish Network and am told that the free PlatinumHD package is good only for new Dish Network HD Customers and existing Dish Network customers who have never had HD service. All others will continue paying $10 extra a month for the Platinum HD package

I just talked with Kathie Gonzalez from Dish Network and am told that the free PlatinumHD package is good only for new Dish Network HD Customers and existing Dish Network customers who have never had HD service. All others will continue paying $10 extra a month for the Platinum HD package

Kind of intresting, this is not a promotional offer, so the no cost platinum will stick at no cost with those who choose to add.

Those who have it will contiune to pay for a package that does not exist anymore. Humm...my first "intresting" experince since moving over to the Dish network side.

that sounds more like the Dish network I have known for 8 years or so

Scott, she's got to be pulling your leg! Dish wouldn't really do something as sleazy as that...would they?

Waiting.....

I sincerely hope there is more to this. It's only July 31st, but I'm already making plans for February of 2011 when my contract is up. That's not good.:tux:

I have a question in to her asking her if a customer with the PlatinumHD package calls today and cancels it, and calls back tomorrow and resubs to the HD ackage, will they get the PlatinumHD package included at no extra charge?

She didn't have an answer for me for that one on the phone.

Well you know, that's what the original press release said, isn't it?

Just because its incredibly, bordering on criminally, stupid, doesn't mean Dish won't do it!

But what are we to make of the other fellow who claims that Dish told him that everyone would be getting Platinum for free, including eventually existing HD without Platinum customers?

Possibly different people at Dish are giving out different stories. That would also be par for the course for Dish!

I had the need to use Dish online tech support last night. While we were waiting on tests to run, the tech informed me that I would be getting the Platinum HD package for free. New subs get it added and existing subs get $10 off their bill. I didn't even ask, it was brought up by him. I also plugged SatGuys and he made the point that we get all the news before he does!