Dish Software Engineers!!! Dish logo is causing serious image retention!!!

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
The Dish logo is causing serious image retention on my Plasma TV. I do not have this issue with any other channels or video content.

When you select 'Guide' or 'Info', in the upper right area of the screen, the word 'Dish' is written in a very large fat font. In addition, the 'D', 's', and 'h' in the word 'Dish' are displayed at maximum brightness. Because the 'Guide' and 'Info' functions are used so often, I have started to notice image retention of those letters on my plasma TV. (Because the build up of image retention is cumulative, it has taken about 3 months for me to notice this issue).

Dish Software Engineers!!!

!!! Please make the Dish logo transparent or use a different color!!!
!!! The broadcast stations have made their logos 'image retention friendly' and Dish should do the same!!!

Luckily, I noticed the image retention before it became image burn-in. By avoiding displaying the 'Guide' and the 'Info' screen, the image retention of the 'D', 's', and 'h' letters is gradually disappearing from my TV.

Please fix this issue!!!

Bummer. Got to watch out for tickers across the bottom of the screen, too. The problem greatly lessened with late model plasmas, but I don't think anyone could say it completely went away. And now with the demise of plasmas, we can probably look forward to the same problem, to some degree, with OLEDs and OLETs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Your right navy... The TV that I am posting about is only 3 months old. When the panel is new, it is more susceptible to image retention/burn in. As you put more hours on it, the display gets more immune. I have owned plasma TV's for about 12 years now. I never worried or did anything special, and I never had any problem with image burn-in or retention...and I watch some sports too.

I think that the main issue here is that the Guide and Info functions are used so often that the effect is cumulative. Sometimes, I would leave the Guide displaying for a very long time while I answered the phone or got distracted and started to do something else. Now, I will be more careful.

I hope Dish will fix this issue!!!

Hmmmm- isn't there something about the first 500 hours being the most susceptible? And some TVs have a randomized pattern that you can play to help remove or lessen burn-in? Or DVDs/BDs that do the same?

Congratulations, you got in just under the wire! I'd have thought plasmas would have stuck around at least until OLEDs hit the mass market.

Yes, my Panasonic Plasma has a mode they call 'Screen Wipe' that is used to get rid of image retention problems. I have been running it on and off for a few hours and the "Dish' image retention is just about gone.

I am extremely happy that I bought one of the last Panasonic plasma TVs before production stopped. The picture on my TC- P60ZT60 is simply amazing!

Now that I know about the image retention, I only display the Guide or Info screens when I have to. However, for the past 3 months, I would say that my Guide use was 'normal'. I used it to search for things to record, and also to display the list of recorded programs and Prime Time recorded programs. I probably used it for 1-5 minutes at a time. However, over the course of 3 months, I have used the Guide and Info functions a lot, just like most people would.

And do you find yourself in the guide more than two or three times an hour?

Torch mode on a plasma must be awfully intense.

My TV has never been in Torch mode (Panasonic calls it Vivid). I primarily use the THX certified cinema mode. The THX cinema mode that is built in to the TV is extremely accurate and very close to what you would get with a professional calibrator.

Now that I know about the image retention, I only display the Guide or Info screens when I have to. However, for the past 3 months, I would say that my Guide use was 'normal'. I used it to search for things to record, and also to display the list of recorded programs and Prime Time recorded programs. I probably used it for 1-5 minutes at a time. However, over the course of 3 months, I have used the Guide and Info functions a lot, just like most people would.

That kind of use should not cause any kind of burn in. What brand set is it?

Panasonic. And the ZT60 has a GREAT reputation.

I've read of people turning on "screen wipe" or similar and letting it run for days on end right out of the box.

That kind of use should not cause any kind of burn in. What brand set is it?

It is a Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 (new 2013 model).

Scott, it is not burn-in, it is image retention. The difference is that image retention will eventually disappear while burn-in is permanent. The image retention is very hard to see. Normal video will completely obscure it and it will not be visible. You can only see it when the background is a solid color and bright. The image retention effect is cumulative because the Guide and Info functions are used so often. As I said earlier, using the 'Screen Wipe' function, the image retention is just about gone.

Tony S I see the same on my GT50. As you stated its not noticeable with regular viewing but something like a pan of say a slightly hazy blue sky will show D SH through. I tried the built-in scrubber tool as well as the Disney WOW tool but NFG. With the Dish logo being present in so many menu screens its hard to avoid.

My TV has never been in Torch mode (Panasonic calls it Vivid). I primarily use the THX certified cinema mode. The THX cinema mode that is built in to the TV is extremely accurate and very close to what you would get with a professional calibrator.

My Panasonic P65GT30 has 2 features to prevent image retention - the screen wipe you mentioned and a pixel orbitor. The latter is disabled in THX mode and probably is on your set as well. I'd calibrate the Custom Mode (or another of choice) to satisfy you visually so that the orbiter function can operate continuously and save THX for movie viewing. I've had both plasma and DISH for years & never a hint of retention.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

D. Manley, you are right. The pixel orbiter is turned off in THX mode. I have been pretty happy with CNET's settings in Cinema mode (tweeked a little). I think I will be using that mode more often since the pixel orbiter will be active.

fredp, It is easier to see the image retention/burn-in if you can display test patterns with an all white screen. If you can display 50% white, 75% white, and 100% white test images, it will be easy to see image retention (if there is any).

No problems with my 2 Panasonic S60 series whatsoever.

But it would be nice if we could change the gui colors or have themes like SA boxes.

I'm seeing this as well with my Panasonic ST50. I can see the image retention from the Dish Logo. It is not in torch mode and has been using Dnice's settings for almost 2 years. They really need to make the Logo transparent.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Off topic:

No problems on my vt50. Go to avs forums, try different setting. Most are way better than the thx modes

I have been on the AVS forums for years. I have tried D'Nice's, Sound & Vision's, and CNET's settings that were posted for my plasma, and as I expected, all of those settings were worse than the factory calibrated THX cinema mode. The D'Nice and S&V settings were way off for my TV; CNET's settings were pretty good (slightly brighter than the THX mode), but overall the THX mode is the closest to perfect without me getting a calibrator.

I don't really want to get into this here, but when you put someone else's settings in your TV, statistically, you have a much, much better chance of making things worse rather than better. The factory calibrated THX mode is set for the average production TV (some sets will be a little plus and some sets will be a little minus). Someone else's settings are very specific to that TV. Unless your TV has the same characteristics, you will make it worse. For example, if your TV had slightly too much red, and the calibrated TV had too much blue, when you apply those settings to your TV it gets worse. The chances of 2 TVs having the same characteristics are very small, even in the same production lot. Statistically, you have a better than 90% chance of making things worse rather than better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts