Dish Software Engineers!!! Dish logo is causing serious image retention!!!

Back on topic:

I have been thinking about the image retention problem that I posted about... I bought my plasma tv at the same time that I upgraded my dish receiver from a 722K to the HWS. Because the hopper was new, I probably spent more time in the guide and other menus than I normally would (because the Hopper was new and I wanted to see/try all of the new features). Perhaps that, in combination with the fact that the plasma was new (and more susceptible to image retention) exaggerated the image retention that I experienced.

Fortunately, by running a few different image retention fixing patterns that I found on YouTube, my image retention is gone. I found that the videos on YouTube worked a little better and faster than the built in Screen Wipe that Panasonic provides.

The fact that people in this thread are reporting image retention problems with the Dish logo, means that the problem does exist. The fact that some of us are not affected does not mean that there is no problem.

Please Dish, make the Dish logo transparent to eliminate this problem!!!

I doubt dish will do anything here especially when you consider the future of plasma displays...

I doubt dish will do anything here especially when you consider the future of plasma displays...

Sadly, that is probably true. However, there are still a lot of plasma and even some CRTs out there, and I have been reading that the new OLED TVs are susceptible to image retention/burn-in. If Dish can make that simple change now, it will solve any future problems too.

I've had a Samsung 58" for almost 5 years now and have never seen any retention on mine. I even have LG plasma TVs in our display room that are on 9 hours a day and have minimal retention only do to the channel logo popping up.

Sadly, that is probably true. However, there are still a lot of plasma and even some CRTs out there, and I have been reading that the new OLED TVs are susceptible to image retention/burn-in. If Dish can make that simple change now, it will solve any future problems too.

Yes- OLEDs, OLETs, even the defunct SEDs - all subject to IR or burn in to some degree. ALL emissive displays will be, to some extent. And there are other technologies under consideration.

I didn't realize until after reading this thread, but with the Hopper/Joey, anytime that you're most of the menus, the top 1/3 or so is "fixed". It's the video window in the upper-left, info to the right, and the bright, white Dish logo below that info. You can go into Settings, then DVR, then the guide, and this upper 1/3 remains the same. That said, you normally are not in these menus for any length of time - or shouldn't be. Even if fall asleep while you're in one of those sections, I'm positive that it exits to full-screen TV viewing after "x" amount of time and I think it's minutes, not hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)