DISH Sues Networks

jerryez said:
Why don't all the cable and sat providers just drop all the locals and then they would not have any audience. Probably 95% of all customers get there locals thru cable or sat. USA,TNT, and other cable nets are providing programing that is equal to or better than what we can get from the local four. Not even the BIG four any longer. They are the small four. With 300 sat and cable channels, who needs them. If they went out of business today, other cable nets would grab up their programing especially sports. Local channels are becoming obsolete. If the government wasn't protecting them, they would have been gone by now and we could be watching all four on a national HD feed.

The big 4 own most of the cable channels.

sam_gordon said:
I think you could find enough people to get EVERY channel kicked off because they don't like the programming. What if someone said "I don't watch sports, Dish should get rid of ESPN!"? Or "What MTV carries is crap! Dish should get rid of it and use the bandwidth for something else!" There ARE people who want to watch locals. If there wasn't, Dish (or Direct) wouldn't offer them.

But what MTV carries IS crap.... reality shows have ruined TV...

Why don't all the cable and sat providers just drop all the locals and then they would not have any audience. Probably 95% of all customers get there locals thru cable or sat. USA,TNT, and other cable nets are providing programing that is equal to or better than what we can get from the local four. Not even the BIG four any longer. They are the small four. With 300 sat and cable channels, who needs them. If they went out of business today, other cable nets would grab up their programing especially sports. Local channels are becoming obsolete. If the government wasn't protecting them, they would have been gone by now and we could be watching all four on a national HD feed.
Because contrary to what you believe (or hope), people DO watch the locals... not just for the network programming, but also for the syndicated programming. They also watch for local news. Now, if EVERY cable/sat provider dropped EVERY local, most people (not all) would find some way to make OTA work. You might even have people drop cable/sat if the locals weren't carried. That's just my opinion. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me how wrong I am (because THEY don't like local programming).

I had Satellite (Dish) before locals were carried. It was Charlie who pushed to get them, at that time called local into local, and Direct was non committal about wanting to carry them. Then as now carrying the Networks is a must and I have to believe Dish is well aware of that.

02/25/99 Committee on the Judiciary - Moskowitz Statement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)